U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Hopes, people commit suicide because they are rejected whether nicely or meanly. They have no idea how to socialize but I do see your point.
The subject is how to turn down someone who is romantically interested that isn't abusive, isn't a stalker, etc.

Specifically, we're talking about a nice nerd.

I see no reason whatsoever to be mean to someone simply because we don't like them.

I strongly believe that being mean to people can increase the odds of their committing suicide.

It seems so selfish to me to not take other people's feelings into consideration or to think they would commit suicide anyway.

(Knowing how to socialize goes both ways---part of being well socialized is knowing how to have healthy boundaries without hurting other people.)

Your posts are confusing to me. You claim to be taken advantage of for being nice, but you seem to be advocating being mean to people.

Maybe we will not see eye-to-eye on this topic. Or maybe we are misinterpreting each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,364,853 times
Hopes, we don't see eye-to-eye not because I don't want to but because we come from different backgrounds. I recently discovered some groundbreaking thing about myself and now I am trying to iron out the kinks. The safest way to do this is online.

I will just end with this, if your daughter's problems are simply rejecting a nice nerd, you have done well as a parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The subject is how to turn down someone who is romantically interested that isn't abusive, isn't a stalker, etc.

Specifically, we're talking about a nice nerd.

I see no reason whatsoever to be mean to someone simply because we don't like them.

I strongly believe that being mean to people can increase the odds of their committing suicide.

It seems so selfish to me to not take other people's feelings into consideration or to think they would commit suicide anyway.

(Knowing how to socialize goes both ways---part of being well socialized is knowing how to have healthy boundaries without hurting other people.)

Your posts are confusing to me. You claim to be taken advantage of for being nice, but you seem to be advocating being mean to people.

Maybe we will not see eye-to-eye on this topic. Or maybe we are misinterpreting each other.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 AM

6,046 posts, read 9,734,464 times
In these scenarios, why is it always the boy that likes the girl?

The reverse happens (girl likes boy and boy doesn't like her). In fact, there was a girl that liked me and I didn't like her. But she's the only girl I can think of that liked me and I didn't like her. There are way more girls that I liked but they didn't like me.

Maybe that's just my experience, but it appears more common for the boy to like the girl in scenarios like these.

Last edited by city_data91; 03-03-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or