Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Get a restraining order. If the teen or his family comes near you or your kids they will be violating the restraining order and will be arrested. Good luck.
Do not be bullied by this kid. Stand up to them.

I would also try and get someone on board to help me. Other neighbours in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Were you running kids out of your yard before the incident with your children?
That was my very first thought when I read the OP's post.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 9,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Were you running kids out of your yard before the incident with your children?
Not as often then. There seem to be more kids now and they are bigger/older.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hitting someone with a shovel is assault. That's when you should have called the sheriff.
We were very upset as my son was 4 at the time and the other one was 8. He claimed it was an accident, but I was not sure and never trusted him around my child again after that.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
This is terrible and I feel for you and your children. You are either a prisoner in your own home or it is simply a place to sleep in (with heavy security).
Thanks. I do feel like a prisoner in my home. I don't even like to go out back sometimes because he is right next door. At least he normally plays out front, but he always seems to be out. He just made a smart remark to my daughter so she came inside. He also seems to control all the other kids in the neighborhood leaving mine isolated.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Very simple. Big fence.
The backyard is fenced and this has helped as they used to circle my house on their bikes. I got really mad when this happened and went to all the kids parents houses. They still played in my yard, but at least I did not catch them in back after that and now they would need to climb the fence. A fence in the front yard can only be 4 feet high so I'm not sure this will help very much. I would also be the only one with a fenced front yard so it would look strange...

Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Good thinking. Big dogs?
I'm more of a cat person and have two cats already. They have a big dog next door at his house and I've had problems with the dog too. They used to let the dog run thru my backyard and poop in my front side yard on a regular basis. I had to call animal control on the dog and they were pissed about that but they did finally fence their entire yard so the dog is not much of a problem now.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It sounds like you don't have a parenting problem at all. You have a legal problem. Have you made any attempt to discuss the neighbor's kids with the neighbors? In your post, you don't mention anything about -those- parents, only that you have run their kids off your property. Where are their parents during this? Or before it, or after it? What was the response of the legal adults in that household, when the police were called to address the situation?

If these kids are still legally the responsibility of the adults they live with, then those adults are legally responsible to keep those kids off private property they don't own. They are also legally responsible to ensure that the children in their care do not harrass the neighbors; harassment is also illegal and the parents can be fined, or jailed, or child protective services could be called, if they prove uncaring about their kids and their kids' behavior.

I'd first attempt to talk with the parents, while the kids are not around. If the results aren't positive, then I'd call a lawyer and consider pressing formal charges against the kids for illegal tresspass and harrassment.
I have talked to all the kids parents but they don't really seem to think it is a big problem. I have managed to keep most of the kids away when they are on their own, but this one is the ring leader and he comes over and the other kids follow. My neighbor on the other side yells at the kids and kicks their balls out of his yard. I think they are afraid of him and mostly stay out of his yard. I did not go to the neighbor's with the sheriff but he said he told them the boy should not be trespassing. My husband went over there after the harassment over the weekend and they said they would take care of it so we will see but I am not holding my breath.
I believe they think it is a big joke. The parents are actually grandparents - his mother is in jail. The other kids parents don't seem to get up and look out the window to see what is going on. The kids are bigger now - youngest is 11 and oldest is 14 or 15 so they are mostly bigger than me at this point so I can no longer scare them away on my own and that is why I called the sheriff.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
i told you... file a restraining order, and press charges. the only way the parental figures are going to care (because obviously they dot) is if it starts costing them money and time.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:08 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flfedup View Post
Not as often then. There seem to be more kids now and they are bigger/older.
Please don't take this the wrong way and your son certainly doesn't deserve to be hit with a shovel ever but you may have brought the teasing and tormenting on by being the proverbial "get off my lawn you darn kids" person.

I don't mean it is right by any means....but it may be what has happened. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting