Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM

7 posts, read 9,292 times

Advertisements

I've had problems with my next door neighbors for a couple of years now. Basically since their son started calling my daughter nasty names and hit my son (4 years younger) in the head with a shovel.
I don't want any kids playing in my yard that are not playing with my children and I've been running kids off for years too - especially the one next door. Well now, he is nearly a teenager and thinks he and his crew can play basketball games in my driveway. I called the sheriff on him and the other kids recently and was harassed over the weekend by him. I was inside and he went to the front of my house and side of my house yelling so loudly that I could hear him inside - daring me to 'take a picture' of him in my yard again like I did when I called the sheriff. I am very upset and am thinking of calling the sheriff again, but this only seems to make things worse. I would really like him out of my yard and away from my kids (my son won't even go outside when he is around and I feel the same way now), and have even thought of moving but the real estate market is so bad that is not really an option. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,802,499 times
Were you running kids out of your yard before the incident with your children?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,044,940 times
Hitting someone with a shovel is assault. That's when you should have called the sheriff.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,177,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flfedup View Post
I've had problems with my next door neighbors for a couple of years now. Basically since their son started calling my daughter nasty names and hit my son (4 years younger) in the head with a shovel.
I don't want any kids playing in my yard that are not playing with my children and I've been running kids off for years too - especially the one next door. Well now, he is nearly a teenager and thinks he and his crew can play basketball games in my driveway. I called the sheriff on him and the other kids recently and was harassed over the weekend by him. I was inside and he went to the front of my house and side of my house yelling so loudly that I could hear him inside - daring me to 'take a picture' of him in my yard again like I did when I called the sheriff. I am very upset and am thinking of calling the sheriff again, but this only seems to make things worse. I would really like him out of my yard and away from my kids (my son won't even go outside when he is around and I feel the same way now), and have even thought of moving but the real estate market is so bad that is not really an option. Any suggestions?
This is terrible and I feel for you and your children. You are either a prisoner in your own home or it is simply a place to sleep in (with heavy security).

Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,987,086 times
Very simple. Big fence.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,177,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Very simple. Big fence.

Good thinking. Big dogs?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,668,791 times
It sounds like you don't have a parenting problem at all. You have a legal problem. Have you made any attempt to discuss the neighbor's kids with the neighbors? In your post, you don't mention anything about -those- parents, only that you have run their kids off your property. Where are their parents during this? Or before it, or after it? What was the response of the legal adults in that household, when the police were called to address the situation?

If these kids are still legally the responsibility of the adults they live with, then those adults are legally responsible to keep those kids off private property they don't own. They are also legally responsible to ensure that the children in their care do not harrass the neighbors; harassment is also illegal and the parents can be fined, or jailed, or child protective services could be called, if they prove uncaring about their kids and their kids' behavior.

I'd first attempt to talk with the parents, while the kids are not around. If the results aren't positive, then I'd call a lawyer and consider pressing formal charges against the kids for illegal tresspass and harrassment.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,660,835 times
talk to the kids parents
file charges
file a restraining order
buy a big dog who doesnt like teenage boys (i have one such dog, but hes currently in use and near retirement age, anyways )

Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,399,250 times
Personally, if it's a house I'm planning on being in for a LONG time I would invest the money on a fence for my front yard and put a gate on my driveway. Problem solved!!
If he jumps over your gated driveway then I would call the police for trespassing on private property.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,853,036 times
Get a restraining order. If the teen or his family comes near you or your kids they will be violating the restraining order and will be arrested. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting