U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,520,891 times

Advertisements

I had invisible hair as a child. It still is bone straight and thin. I do have alot of it, but it still looks limp and is inpossible to style and forget about any hairbow staying in. My oldest didn't have any hair to trim until he was almost two... then it was only around the bottom of his head. My youngest has spider fine hair. She is finally able to keep a ponytail in for practice. She is 10.

One thing that may help is the type of shampoo/conditioner your daughter uses. With very fine hair, you need a clean rinsing shampoo and a very light conditioner. Any build-up creates limp... blah hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM

127 posts, read 156,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I will start by saying that I AM AWARE this is a relatively frivolous question in the large scheme of things, so kindly don't berate me for "not being grateful" for my otherwise perfect little girl or for "fretting" over things that do not matter. I was just wondering if I could get some tips/advice from moms of little girls with very fine hair.

I have no idea how to deal with it as everyone in my family, including myself, has very, very thick, Mediterranean type of hair and tons of it for that matter.

My little girl took after her father (anglo-saxon origins) and I still cannot believe how someone's hair can be so thin, fine and ...almost like spider web.

Her hair also grows very, very slowly and has never grown past the lower-middlle part of her neck though I only trimmed it a little over the years to keep it healthy. When she was younger I considered the whole "head shaving thing" but my husband convinced me it is just a wives' tale and her hair will be the way it is with or without head shaving, per genetics.

Then I thought about just keeping her hair short to keep it simple and healthy, but she really doesn't look that good with short hair.

I am not a mom, but I am mom-age and I had this problem myself growing up, so my advice might be helpful.

My hair was exactly as you describe your daughter's to be. It was fine, took ages to grew, was wispy and light, and slipped out of any barrettes, ponytail holders, etc.

There were only two solutions the family tried that worked. The first was to get it cut into a cute little bob. I think many kids look adorable with a bob just below chin-length (so that way, it's not super-short, and it doesn't put too much strain on the hair).

The second was to have me get curl. First, they tried permanent waves bad idea. Back then, perms took all afternoon and smelled like rotten eggs. I wouldn't advise doing this for your little girl nowadays anyway who knows what chemicals they are using and if they're safe? The non-chemical solution, which has a similar effect, is braiding the hair when damp. If you do that with her and have her sleep on it, she'll wake up to cute waves and tons of volume.

The final bit of advice I can give you is to give it time. Time and puberty do crazy things to hair. Remember how I said earlier that my hair was like your daughter's? Well now, it's coarse, kinky, and prone to developing dreads and there is a TON of it. Didn't happen until my teen years...and hair changes are quite common at that age, so don't fret.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,941,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I had invisible hair as a child. It still is bone straight and thin.
To everyone who mentioned the pattern "it was thin then, but now it's a full head of thick hair, give it time"...unfortunately, I simply don't think that the transition from what she has now to downright thick hair will ever happen to my daughter.

It might get better with time, but thick - I don't think it will ever be.
This is because she takes after my husband's family - more precisely my mother-in-law. She has very light, silky, fluffy hair and everyone else in their family, my husband included, has hair like that;
so I don't have much hope for true thickness later on.

I will however tell the hairdresser to give her that cute straight bob, right below the chin.
At the same time, I really don't want it to be too short because I want her to be able to pull it up in some pig tails. This is because her hair flies all over the place and she gets it in the food when she eats - unless it is pulled up in pig tails (it is not long enough to do a pony tail in the back).

The chemical/perm thing I would never do it as an adult - let alone on a 3 yo. Definitely not an option.

Thanks again for all your tips!!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
I am of similar heritage and was the same way as a child. At the age of 3 my mother was finally able to make a small 1" ponytail out of my wavy, fine, almost white-blonde hair.
As I aged it got much thicker and darker. I would not fret over it too much. By the time I was ready for kindergarten it was of much more "normal" thickness and length.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM

3,647 posts, read 9,305,546 times
I was bald until I was about 3. Almost completely. My hair was superfine - my mom kept it really short and it didn't really 'hold' in a ponytail... until puberty.

Now I have gorgeous, thick, beautiful hair with lots of body and natural wave. With each child I've had, it's taken on more curl. I've been very blessed in the hair department.

Don't stress it. There are cute little headband things she can wear - lacy little things. You can use a dab of gel to hold in tiny bows too. She'll outgrow it, more likely than not.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,843,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
To everyone who mentioned the pattern "it was thin then, but now it's a full head of thick hair, give it time"...unfortunately, I simply don't think that the transition from what she has now to downright thick hair will ever happen to my daughter.

It might get better with time, but thick - I don't think it will ever be.
This is because she takes after my husband's family - more precisely my mother-in-law. She has very light, silky, fluffy hair and everyone else in their family, my husband included, has hair like that;
so I don't have much hope for true thickness later on.

i still say it will get a little thicker. maybe not like yours but more than what it is. like i said, i had my moms hair until l iwas a preteen - then dads genes took over

stop worrying about it.

bigger problems in life than a toddlers thin hair

Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,941,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post

bigger problems in life than a toddlers thin hair
With that, I agree.

It's not really a biggie, I just asked to get some tips, if any.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
I have fine hair. Very fine and fly-away. Static electricity (and a certain cowlick) are my greatest enemies. When I was a girl my mother was at her wit's end on what to do with it.

However... As I got older the amount of hair I have changed. Today it is still very fine, but there is a ton of it. To the point hairdressers complain.

So have heart, Syracusa. One day she may be sitting in the stylist's chair and she might hear, "I have never, ever seen so much hair!"

I'd keep it chin length. BTW. And headbands. Headbands helped me survive for many years.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM

3,739 posts, read 2,915,749 times
I feel for you--my son has the thickest, most gorgeous hair you've ever seen.

My little girl, now 4, seems to have gotten my hair--kinda thin and wavy. I am still holding out hope that her hair will transition into the thick hair my son has. My DH says DD's hair is already thicker than mine, so maybe she'll get lucky and not get my hair.

The advice I got was to keep her hair trimmed, because it keeps the hair from getting weak and breaking off.

Here's what worked for us:

Moisture shampoo. I finally connected that duh, she has eczema and maybe her hair is dry. It has worked WONDERS on the fly away hair. I know it sounds counterintuitive if your DD's hair is oily, but it could be that her scalp is making excess oil because her hair is dry. (Like your skin does when your skin is dry?)

On top of that, we use a Garnier Fructis serum every night. I massage a pumpful into her wet hair and it makes her hair so easy to comb out--it has really decreased the breakage she was experiencing.

We also use jojoba oil on her scalp once a month--put a little bit on the scalp and massage it in, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Shampoo twice after with a "clean hair" shampoo (not moisturizing). These little changes have helped.

Good luck!

ETA: When styling for a special occasion, I rely on hairspray. You want one that dries quickly and aerosol is preferable to the pump kind. It tames the flyaways and adds body like nothing else.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 03-01-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 AM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
People thought I was a boy, my hair would not grow until I was like well past two years old and it syatye SUPER shourt until then...

Now I have thick nice hair and everything, its soo thick and so soft.

Im going to stop posting as I am hell drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or