Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times

Advertisements

I will start by saying that I AM AWARE this is a relatively frivolous question in the large scheme of things, so kindly don't berate me for "not being grateful" for my otherwise perfect little girl or for "fretting" over things that do not matter. I was just wondering if I could get some tips/advice from moms of little girls with very fine hair.

I have no idea how to deal with it as everyone in my family, including myself, has very, very thick, Mediterranean type of hair and tons of it for that matter.

My little girl took after her father (anglo-saxon origins) and I still cannot believe how someone's hair can be so thin, fine and ...almost like spider web.

Her hair also grows very, very slowly and has never grown past the lower-middlle part of her neck though I only trimmed it a little over the years to keep it healthy. When she was younger I considered the whole "head shaving thing" but my husband convinced me it is just a wives' tale and her hair will be the way it is with or without head shaving, per genetics.

Then I thought about just keeping her hair short to keep it simple and healthy, but she really doesn't look that good with short hair.

So I would welcome any advice from moms used to deal with fine hair (their own or their little girls').

Do you use any special shampoo on your little girl to make it look thicker? Do you blow it out every time? I noticed that her hair looked nicer and fuller when the hair dresser blew it out with a brush after a trim. I normally don't do that, I just dry it with the hair dryer - but lately it seems to be flying all over the place and drying in random, separate, straying pieces looking un-groomed, greasy and all over the place even when perfectly clean (right after the bath).

I know it is time for another trim so I am thinking this might revive it a little bit.

How often do you trim the hair to keep it healthy yet growing?

I would like her to be able to grow it at least to her shoulders but the hair seems more out of control every day.

Any kind of advice would be welcome. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,230 times
as a hairdresser and mom to 3, don't think that this is the hair she will end up with.
My advise, skip the blow dryin. It could end up drying her hair out and make it very fly away. There are no magic shampoos to make it thicker.
Just keep it blunt cut and don't let it get too long. Trim it every couple months, and be patient!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:11 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,059 times
lots of kids have really fine silky hair. most of them 'outgrow' it.

dont blow dry, it will dry it out and make it brittle!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,428,287 times
Give it time. She is only 3 years old. My hair was very thin until I was about 10 years old and then it started getting thicker. I would just keep it short for now and in a few years I bet you will see it thicken up.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,161 times
My daughter's hair was very fine when she was three. It didn't really start to thicken until she was five. It got thicker and thicker. She's in high school now w/ a gorgeous head of hair.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
My 3 year old girl's hair is also very fine. When it is wet, it looks like she has bald patches because it sticks together! And she cannot wear hairbows as even the small ones slide out of her fine hair. Been told to avoid blow drying as it can dry out the hair, but really it is just a waiting game.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,437,542 times
Thank you so much for your answers - it looks like they are all similar, so you guys must know something.

I did hear about the 'waiting game' but I really thought this only applied to babies, and that by 3 you can kind of see the real hair the child actually has.

It certainly doesn't help that all other younger children we know personally (including my older one, a 5 yo boy) have very thick, "non-anglo" hair and I often could not help wondering if there is something wrong with my little girl's hair growth rate. I even thought of some vitamin deficiency at some point. Many of my friends have little girls whose hair was almost down to their waists, in amazing waves, by 3 (it certainly was the case of a little girl we know of Persian origins).

Exactly as Penguin said, my daughter's head looks like it's got bald patches when it is wet...and now, when dry, it just hangs there very glued to her head with no fullness whatsoever. She did seem to have more fullness when her hair was a tad shorter (right below at the jaw) so perhaps it is getting too long for how much her genetics can bear right now and maybe that's why it just sticks to the head or separates in what looks like non-groomed, greasy pieces.

As I said, I don't know anything about this kind of hair as pretty much no one had hair like this in the country where I grew up.

We are very much going to the hair-dresser for a trim this week; and thank you for the blunt cut tip. Last time, she had it cut a little uneven/in "wisps" at the ends as she does have some natural wave to it ...and I was hoping to bring that out ...but now, I will just go with very blunt, maybe that will make it look fuller.

Thank you all for your advice!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Thank you so much for your answers - it looks like they are all similar, so you guys must know something.

I did hear about the 'waiting game' but I really thought this only applied to babies, and that by 3 you can kind of see the real hair the child actually has.

lol... up until i was probably 6 or 7 i had very fine, thin hair that was strawberry blonde (with an emphasis on strawberry lol)

then it turned thick, wavy and dark brown

now, at 33, its still thick (UGH!!!), wavy (double UGHHHHHH) and a dark auburn (ok, so i like the color well enough lol)

Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,815 times
I was bald until the age of two, and then my hair came in fine. It didn't start to thicken up until kindergarten, and since then, I've had very, very thick hair. My second daughter's hair grew pretty much the same way mine did, but by the time she hit first grade, she had a gorgeous mane of blond curly hair.

Don't worry. It'll grow! In the meantime, I always think a cute little spout works wonders!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
My daughter and I were both bald until the age of 3. Suddenly my daughter's hair started to grow like crazy, with beautiful thick curls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting