U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,830,790 times

Advertisements

i had very fine hair that would automatically go in a wispy "rats nest" in the back for years! Now my hair is not thick, but normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 AM

3,013 posts, read 2,421,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I will start by saying that I AM AWARE this is a relatively frivolous question in the large scheme of things, so kindly don't berate me for "not being grateful" for my otherwise perfect little girl or for "fretting" over things that do not matter. I was just wondering if I could get some tips/advice from moms of little girls with very fine hair.

I have no idea how to deal with it as everyone in my family, including myself, has very, very thick, Mediterranean type of hair and tons of it for that matter.

My little girl took after her father (anglo-saxon origins) and I still cannot believe how someone's hair can be so thin, fine and ...almost like spider web.

Her hair also grows very, very slowly and has never grown past the lower-middlle part of her neck though I only trimmed it a little over the years to keep it healthy. When she was younger I considered the whole "head shaving thing" but my husband convinced me it is just a wives' tale and her hair will be the way it is with or without head shaving, per genetics.

Then I thought about just keeping her hair short to keep it simple and healthy, but she really doesn't look that good with short hair.

So I would welcome any advice from moms used to deal with fine hair (their own or their little girls').

Do you use any special shampoo on your little girl to make it look thicker? Do you blow it out every time? I noticed that her hair looked nicer and fuller when the hair dresser blew it out with a brush after a trim. I normally don't do that, I just dry it with the hair dryer - but lately it seems to be flying all over the place and drying in random, separate, straying pieces looking un-groomed, greasy and all over the place even when perfectly clean (right after the bath).

I know it is time for another trim so I am thinking this might revive it a little bit.

How often do you trim the hair to keep it healthy yet growing?

I would like her to be able to grow it at least to her shoulders but the hair seems more out of control every day.

Any kind of advice would be welcome. Thank you so much!
My advice is stop worrying about your 3 year old's hair. Nothing is going to change it but time. By the time she's 5 or 6, she'll have plenty of hair. You should definitely NOT be using any products or blow drying her hair to make it look thicker. Just put it in a little clip on the top of her head like all the normal mothers. Honestly, there is something a little twisted about you doing all that to a poor toddler's hair.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM

3,421 posts, read 3,722,325 times
My daughter was born with super-fine thin hair - it was like gossamer. For a while the only part that grew was on the back of her head, resulting in the appearance of having a mullet. *sigh* Finally at about 2-3 years old, the rest started growing as well, until she had a normal haircut and eventually it was quite long.

We waited until she was 5-6 years old to let her have her first real haircut into a short bob. That's when it started growing like crazy - it became thicker, more coarse, and grew fast.

Now, as a teenager, she has so much freaking hair! I'm very jealous of her hair (because mine remained very fine and I can't do anything with it). Not only that, but her natural hair color is gorgeous (she's a true strawberry blonde).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting