U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,326,377 times

Advertisements

I'm a bottle fed baby. It was important to my mom that both she and my father could bond through feeding. Also it let her sleep through the night sometimes and let them slip the responsibility.

I am pretty normal...most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,849,337 times
everyone does what is best for their situation.

'nuff said.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM

20,799 posts, read 8,536,475 times
I usually stay away from this overtalked subject but I came across this thread and I would like to say Zimbochick thank YOU for posting this thread and FinsterRufus, thank YOU for your post.

AND to the ones who think they are the be all and end all just because YOU breast fed...grow up

Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,801,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The problem is, that this argument relies on the premise that breast milk and formula are essentially equivalent. That is what the author is claiming here. But I don't think that is true at all. Not nutritionally and certainly not immunologically. Formula is an adequate substitute for breast milk when a mother cannot or does not wish to breastfeed, but it is not anywhere near equivalent. Sure, it is a personal choice to make, but don't try to pretend that they are equivalent.
No I don't think the author is saying that at all. We all know that breastfeeding has health benefits, especially in the short-term. Really who doesn't know breast is best. But we make a multitude of choices when it comes to child-rearing, you may breastfeed your child until they are 21, but live in a city with atrocious air quality, so which is better or worse. I'm not sure why breastfeeding mothers feel that have a right to be so sanctimonious about it, and that is what the link was about. It's one of many choices you make, and just because you do it does not mean you are a better mother (not you specifically).

As I said I breast fed both of my children. I also used disposable diapers knowing full-well how bad they are for the environment. I also drank beer when breastfeeding #2 knowing it wasn't optimal. I also gave #1 home-made food knowing it was better and free of chemicals, but #2 got store bought. I try detatchment parenting as much as possible with a lot of resistence (I call it involuntary attachment parenting).

All we can do is educate ourselves, make the best choice for ourselves, and quit being so hard on our sisters. If people are making dangerous choices, then fair enough, make your voice heard, but most people are just trying to do the right thing.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,936,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No I don't think the author is saying that at all. We all know that breastfeeding has health benefits, especially in the short-term. Really who doesn't know breast is best. But we make a multitude of choices when it comes to child-rearing, you may breastfeed your child until they are 21, but live in a city with atrocious air quality, so which is better or worse. I'm not sure why breastfeeding mothers feel that have a right to be so sanctimonious about it, and that is what the link was about. It's one of many choices you make, and just because you do it does not mean you are a better mother (not you specifically).

As I said I breast fed both of my children. I also used disposable diapers knowing full-well how bad they are for the environment. I also drank beer when breastfeeding #2 knowing it wasn't optimal. I also gave #1 home-made food knowing it was better and free of chemicals, but #2 got store bought. I try detatchment parenting as much as possible with a lot of resistence (I call it involuntary attachment parenting).

All we can do is educate ourselves, make the best choice for ourselves, and quit being so hard on our sisters. If people are making dangerous choices, then fair enough, make your voice heard, but most people are just trying to do the right thing.
I completely agree with this statement, bfing does not a woman a good Mom any more than bottle feeding makes a woman a bad Mom. Seems to me there are alot worse things to be concerned about whether someone bf's or not.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 11,668,797 times
Absolutely!! Why there is a "war" or even a "debate" on this issue is ridiculous!

I breast-fed my daughter for 8 solid months and then switched her onto the bottle w/formula. I have to say that, although I'm happy about the benefits my daughter received from breast feeding, I would never do it again if I ever had any more children.

It's a personal choice and no one should judge anyone else about their choice!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times
I'll maintain my stance that all you breastfeeder moms are bad mothers because you let your babies touch your boobies. EWWWWWWW

Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,368,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
An excellent article about this ongoing, albeit pointless argument. Time to put this one to rest, and focus on much more important parenting issues.

Enough With the Breast-feeding Wars! - ParentDish
The thing I hate about the wars is that both sides are validating the behavior of the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'll maintain my stance that all you breastfeeder moms are bad mothers because you let your babies touch your boobies. EWWWWWWW
Bad mothers are not boring.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,801,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
OK, I get the hint, time for another breastfeeding joke. Remember it's just a joke people:

Signs That It's Time To Stop Breastfeeding Your Child:

10. Child can now open your blouse by himself.
9. The kid starts burping up silicone.
8. Child has developed a bad habit of flicking his tongue.
7. The little one keeps slipping dollar bills in your belt.
6. Child demands that you express for his cafe latte.
5. Your birth control pills interfere with his acne medicine.
4. After each session, you both have a smoke.
3. Child invites his friends over for "dinner".
2. You think you hear ”Dueling Banjos” in the distance.
1. Beard abrasions on boobs.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times
<3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting