U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,248,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Most dads are in the delivery room these days. But that doesn't mean you MUST be there. If you and your partner agree that you are not, then don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But if she really wants you there, it would be nice if you at least gave it a try.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about having my husband at the birth because he reacts badly when I am in pain, and he hates/ is afraid of hospitals and medical stuff. So we hired a doula (a non-medical support person; basically a lady who knows a lot about births, can explain medical stuff, help the mom get in the right position for birth etc). This really helped, because it took the pressure off my husband. He could rest a bit at times during my 30 hours labor and not feel guilty, which made the whole experience more pleasurable for all of us.
Exactly

Sometime my husband's constant asking "Are you ok?" What can I do" "Hang in there" "You are doing great." irritated me to no end.

Honestly, sometimes I just wanted him to be quiet & even told him so (that is also a family story that will go down in history as he greatly adds to it every time it is told ). Still happy he was there. Those first few minutes w/ baby are irreplaceable & very special. Doesn't mean the dad can't have them a little bit later if he decides to stay out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:24 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,996,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hey all,

My wifey is pregnant I am new to the whole delivery experience thing.

I was told it is pretty much standard for the Dads to be in the delivery room now when wifey is giving birth, Is that true or is it considered an option?.

I know this might sound bad, but, I was kinda hoping it would be like the good ole days were the dad sits in a waiting room and a doc or nurse comes in and says "it all went well , congradulations". But I dont think thats gonna happen .

What role am I to play in all of this? Besides like you see in the movie were the dad says "push, you can do this".
Well, I don't think there is a rule of how it should be done. Speak to your wife about it and make it clear that you will do whatever she wants you to do. If she wants you to be with her and hold her hand during labor and delivery, I say "suck it up and do it". It's one of the most important moments in your life, you will not regret being there.

I made it very clear to my husband that although I did want him in the delivery room, I didn't want him anywhere near "that area" during delivery of the baby. I instructed him to stand by my head and hold my hand. Maybe I'm weird, but I really didn't want him to see the baby coming out of my vagina.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,657,852 times
Hold her hand.
Help her focus.
Help her get past the pain.
Tell she is beautiful.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:12 AM

28,002 posts, read 19,677,561 times
My husband was there when I had a c-section. It was nice knowing that he was just there with me. It calmed my nerves.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,040,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My husband was there when I had a c-section. It was nice knowing that he was just there with me. It calmed my nerves.
My twins were born by c-section too (VBAC was 2 years later), and I was glad husband was there, also so he could hold the babies while they stitched me up (my arms were full of lines), and could go with them to the ward while I was in recovery, where no babies are allowed.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM

51,364 posts, read 50,627,712 times
Quote:
Mine was there for my C-Section, too. A couple of weeks later we were on the couch watching TV and out of the blue he turns to me and says, "You know, I saw your intestines."

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,803,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mine was there for my C-Section, too. A couple of weeks later we were on the couch watching TV and out of the blue he turns to me and says, "You know, I saw your intestines."
That's hilarious.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM

28,002 posts, read 19,677,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL! Sounds like something my hubby would say! That's funny!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,676,318 times
Quote:
LOL! Sounds like something my hubby would say! That's funny!
You know,that's something my husband would have THOUGHT of saying, but he would have been afraid of freaking me out...at the time.
I remember after the first C-section, we'd gotten home and were relaxing on the couch watching something funny. Oh my gosh, out of the blue, I laughed hard, yeah, without thinking about it. Well of course I ended doubled over on the couch clutching my pillow to my abdomen loudly repeating, "Oh my God, oh my God, God, oh my God!" Serioulsy, I didn't know if he was going to cry or be sick! All he could say was "Hon! What can I do? Tell me what I can DO! Oh jeez hon,are you gonna be okay!?" Then he went over and changed the channel.LOL

Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,773,864 times
My husband was there during labor, delivery and after the birth of our three children. He's my support person and I felt safer with him there in case anything happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or