Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times

Advertisements

My Dad once told me that if men were meant to be in the delivery room, God would not have built the bars so close to the hospital. "Go have a beer. They'll call you when it's your time to be there."

This is the one and only time my Dad ever gave bad advice.

I was certain that I could never last through the situation - the pain, the screaming, the nausea - and that would just have been on my part. In fact it was the best thing I've ever done. I was there assisting the doctor as my daughter entered the world. I helped support her as she came out, and cut the umbilical, all the time fascinated at what was happening. The doctor even grabbed my camera from the chair and take a photo of me holding my daughter in those first few moments, once she saw everything was ok.

I had imagined I'd be passed out on the floor. Instead I got to help deliver and was the one who handed our daughter to my wife.

Don't miss the opportunity to experience such a moment.

Oh, FWIW, my wife was in labor for about 35 minutes... which probably helped the whole process!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
I would just like to add that if/when we have kids, I would like my husband there as my medical advocate, incase I'm too out of it, or if something happens. He knows all my wishes and I trust him to make decisions for me and the baby.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hey all,

My wifey is pregnant I am new to the whole delivery experience thing.

I was told it is pretty much standard for the Dads to be in the delivery room now when wifey is giving birth, Is that true or is it considered an option?.

I know this might sound bad, but, I was kinda hoping it would be like the good ole days were the dad sits in a waiting room and a doc or nurse comes in and says "it all went well , congradulations". But I dont think thats gonna happen .

What role am I to play in all of this? Besides like you see in the movie were the dad says "push, you can do this".

Go...seeing your child born is the most rewarding experience you'll ever have in your life..GO

Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Just tossing in that I have four siblings with multiple kids and in no case were the fathers in the delivery room. The moms didn't want them in there and the dads really didn't want to be in there either so they all did the pacing in the waiting room thing.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hey all,

My wifey is pregnant I am new to the whole delivery experience thing.

I was told it is pretty much standard for the Dads to be in the delivery room now when wifey is giving birth, Is that true or is it considered an option?.

I know this might sound bad, but, I was kinda hoping it would be like the good ole days were the dad sits in a waiting room and a doc or nurse comes in and says "it all went well , congradulations". But I dont think thats gonna happen .

What role am I to play in all of this? Besides like you see in the movie were the dad says "push, you can do this".
she has to do all the work, the least you could do is show up. Go to a child birth class with her. That will give you a pretty good idea of what's expected. FWIW I'd be super pissed off and very hurt if my husband didn't want to be in the room.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
If, during the birth, you are standing, and just out of the blue the labor nurse offers you a chair, do not ask why. Just take it. There's a good chance you're looking peaky and she doesn't want to have to step over you.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Just tossing in that I have four siblings with multiple kids and in no case were the fathers in the delivery room. The moms didn't want them in there and the dads really didn't want to be in there either so they all did the pacing in the waiting room thing.
Was that recently? I can't recall hearing of dads recently not wanting to be in the delivery room.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,523 times
GO. This is not 1940 and I think most of us have wised up and realized that if you can make the baby, you can be there and witness whatever happens and let your life say or do to you whatever she wants.

Sorry, but I seriously cannot understand why anyone would miss those moments unless it was not a choice.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM

207 posts, read 748,726 times
The monent that you saw and help deliver your son/daughter into this world and heard them cried for the very first time, that is the moment that you have change from BOY to MEN.

BTW: some one posted a thread in history forum title: if you have a time machine..
here is my respond: If you had a time machine....

Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
My children were born in 1971 and 1974. My dh was not allowed in at the first one, but he was there for the second one. He was very glad to see his dd born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting