U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! Now, take a class. You have a lot to learn. Like all about the transition phase when your wifey will be telling you exactly what she thinks of your mother. And, quite possibly, you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,327,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggy491 View Post
Hey all,

My wifey is pregnant I am new to the whole delivery experience thing.

I was told it is pretty much standard for the Dads to be in the delivery room now when wifey is giving birth, Is that true or is it considered an option?.

I know this might sound bad, but, I was kinda hoping it would be like the good ole days were the dad sits in a waiting room and a doc or nurse comes in and says "it all went well , congradulations". But I dont think thats gonna happen .

What role am I to play in all of this? Besides like you see in the movie were the dad says "push, you can do this".
Well I've done it twice now, the second time last Friday

Honestly, there isn't much for you to do in the delivery room, other than being a cheerleader. But thats not a bad thing. You also get to cut the cord, which I find kind of cool.

My dad did the pacing the waiting room thing with my mom. Honestly, I couldn't imagine doing that now. I had similar feelings as you with our first, thinking that I didn't want to be in there to see anything.

But I couldn't imagine doing it any other way now. I felt so close to my child, talk about instantly feeling awesome, and I do mean instant and awesome. I ran over to the little crib where the nurses where checking my daughter out, held her hand for the first time, nothing gave me more pride.

I would advise you to be in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or