Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,859,718 times

Advertisements

Here;s the situation. Our daughter is having a slumber party tonight. This has been planned for some time now. Yesterday, they had a random lice check in her school (which they do a couple times a year, funded by the PTA). Out of all the children in her class, one girl was found to have lice and was sent home (which is what they do). This girl is a close friend and she is one of 6 who are invited to our party. I am a wreck. I am sure her parents did all the treatments last night, but I know from past experience that it takes more than one or two treatments. We went through this in the past. Kids seem to bring in back from sleepaway camp or vacations. Anyway, I haven't heard from the parents so I assume she will be coming. I don't dare disinvite her. Any suggestions? Lice is a *****!!! Ugh! I already told my daughter that I want her to braid her hair tonight. That supposedly helps. Also not to wash her hair, because lice like clean hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times
Can you reschedule?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Can you reschedule?
That would be my suggestion as well. I'm sure the other parents don't want to take the risk either and frankly, the parent of the child with lice shouldn't want to risk it. I think for everybody's sake you should reschedule.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,665,939 times
i would maybe reschedule it - that way theres no chance of spreading the lice to other kids, and theres no hurt feelings on behalf of the affected (poor kid!!! )

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
I vote for rescheduling the party too.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,859,718 times
Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no way in heck we can reschedule. The original party date was a couple of weeks ago, but my daughter had the flu. I immediated chose this new date. My daughter and her friends have been talking about this since the beginning of Jan, when the original invitations went out. This party is (was) for my daughter's 10 th birthday. Believe me, I wish I could reschedule.

Any other suggestions!!!!????

Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,573,988 times
I would reschedule. I can understand all sides of this. I wouldn't want to un-invite the poor little girl (not her fault she got lice), but I also wouldn't want my own daughter exposed unnecessarily. Additionally, I think you have to consider the other 5 girls coming. If you choose to risk your own daughter catching lice (and all the headache that ensues with trying to get lice and nits out of bedding and the hair of every family member--as it tends to spread despite your best efforts), that's one thing, but to knowingly expose the other girls (and their parents/siblings) in a sleepover situation is not the responsible thing to do. I don't think it's fair to expose the other children without informing their parents first and allowing them to make an informed decision, and I worry that would make this more embarrassing for the little girl who had the misfortune to catch the lice in the first place.

Edit: Seeing now that you can't reschedule, can you change the type of party? Maybe instead of a sleepover, they go to the movies? I think the largest risk of transmission would be while they're all lying there in sleeping bags, on pillows, etc. However, I still think it wouldn't be right to knowingly expose the other girls without speaking to their parents first. Wouldn't you feel a bit put-out if someone knowingly exposed your family to weeks of sterilizing the bedding, combing for nits, washing with RID? Sometimes (especially when you have a lot of girls with long hair!) it can take awhile to get rid of the infestation.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:08 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, there is no way in heck we can reschedule. The original party date was a couple of weeks ago, but my daughter had the flu. I immediated chose this new date. My daughter and her friends have been talking about this since the beginning of Jan, when the original invitations went out. This party is (was) for my daughter's 10 th birthday. Believe me, I wish I could reschedule.

Any other suggestions!!!!????
Put a plastic bag on the girls head while she sleeps. The lice will suffocate.

I am totally kidding. I feel like there is no easy answer to this question.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I don't think it's fair to expose the other children without informing their parents first and allowing them to make an informed decision
This. You really, really need to talk to all the parents. I would want the choice to decide. And I think before you talk to those parents, you need to talk to the parents of the poor girl with lice.

You say you "are sure the parents did all the treatments last night" - have you talked to them? And you even admit it can take multiple treatments.

So you really need to let other parents know. As mentioned, you might be willing to take the risk, but others might not, and you'll feel horrible if it ends up spreading around because of the sleep over.

I feel for the situation. Really stinks.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,859,121 times
I vote for changing the type of party. Maybe take the kids out for pizza or go bowling. I would still talk to the other parents and let them know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting