U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,501,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
BTW, one of the finalist on American Idol has tourettes, it may help show his friends what tourettes is without being on display.
I was just going to mention that!

This is the first time in years we've watched AI. Maybe the guy's story will help educate people regarding Tourettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,044,931 times
There's a movie called "Front of the Class" about a teacher who has tourettes. It's based on the true life story of Brad Cohen.

Even though it's a Hallmark movie, it was an excellent story. It covers his childhood all the way through struggles finding a teaching job after college.

I highly recommend this movie.

He advocates educating children about differences. He says that once children understand differences they are more accepting of one another.

The book the movie is based on is titled "Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had."

Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM

15,304 posts, read 16,858,284 times
I think that he should be able to tell them about his disorder, since they are basically more curious than anything else. You might want to educate the class yourself or ask the teachers or counselors to talk to them about this particular disability.

For your son, he might benefit from seeing this film or reading the book:
Front of the Class - Brad Cohen - Class Performance

Front of the Class, the book
Book Detail:

Quote:
As a child with Tourette syndrome, Brad Cohen was ridiculed, beaten, mocked, and shunned. Children, teachers, and even family members found it difficult to be around him. As a teen, he was viewed by many as purposefully misbehaving, even though he had little power over the twitches and noises he produced, especially under stress. Even today, Brad is sometimes ejected from movie theaters and restaurants.

But Brad Cohen's story is not one of self-pity. His unwavering determination and fiercely positive attitude conquered the difficulties he faced in school, in college, and while job hunting ...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,587,629 times
Thank you ALL for such wonderful advise!!! Yes, I agree he should be honest. I do not believe the kids are out to tease him. I honestly believe they are just curious.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,800,037 times
You could show them a snippet from the movie I Have Tourette's But Tourettes Doesn't Have Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmpIY7XJVE

Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM

495 posts, read 587,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a movie called "Front of the Class" about a teacher who has tourettes. It's based on the true life story of Brad Cohen.

Even though it's a Hallmark movie, it was an excellent story. It covers his childhood all the way through struggles finding a teaching job after college.

I highly recommend this movie.

He advocates educating children about differences. He says that once children understand differences they are more accepting of one another.

The book the movie is based on is titled "Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had."
Hopes, I really loved this movie, too. And Mom (OP), I am glad you posted this here. I have a dd with autism and I want her 'in' the world, not separated from it, as much as possible. We have cultural diversity, racial diversity, and now neurodiversity. I'm all for it!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,745,541 times
I think he should tell them because for one it's nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to hide, they'll notice something's up anyhow and he won't have to fear trying to hide it any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or