U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM

3,739 posts, read 2,915,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I love my ipod. But you can't compare them to a stereo at home or, even, a Walkman. And you sure can't compare them to a boom box.

Ah, Dew, sadly....I disagree with you for perhaps the first time.

I can compare my Ipod to a stereo because DH and I have put all our CDs onto our Ipods, and we often hook the Ipod up to the stereo (very simple) to play music instead of playing CDs. We do this in the car, also.

Ummm....boom boxes? How 1980s of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:48 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,733,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I am 2/3 through reading "The Winter of Our Disconnect" By Susan Maushart and at every page I keep thinking that every parent of teenagers should read it.

It is the journal of an American single mother who lives in Australia with her 3 teenage children and her decision of removing all technological gadgets (computer, tv, ipods, wii, etc.) from their home for 6 months.

She alternates the everyday journal with statistics and results from different studies on the effects of too much technology on teenagers. Very compelling and informative.

Here is a link to one of the many reviews I found on the book.

Byron Bay Writers Festival - Review of The Winter of our Disconnect by Susan Maushart (http://www.byronbaywritersfestival.com.au/v1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=642&Item id=52 - broken link)

Has anybody else read it?

hmmm, how did she research the statistics and studies without ANY technology? Sure, maybe some from the library, but I am guessing she pulled some of that information offline?? :/

Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM

422 posts, read 555,133 times
When a family is TOGETHER in the car or out having dinner and the children would prefer to communicate with someone who isn't even present ? Problem. When parents can't bear the thought of taking a road trip with their own children without a DVD player and headphones in the van that is just SAD. Sign of the times.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 PM

236 posts, read 762,424 times
6 MONTHS!!? Without an iPod or TV!!!? I can live without the TV, but iPod!? I would never go along with such nonsense!

Just the thought of it... *faint*

Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
My kids prefer to text me than talk to me...but at least they do it several times a day, about silly things going on. I think my middle son, and daughter could live fine without internet and ipod. My eldest son, he lives and dies by his Apple and Ipod. If he had to choose which one to save in an earthquake, me or his computer...I would win, but only by a very slim margin.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
I could live without the TV, not my iPod, but definitely not the internet or my cell phone.

I once forgot my cell phone at my friends house when he and I drove up to the mountains, we needed my GPS, google, and a couple other applications while we were gone that would have helped us greatly.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,147,846 times
I could definitely live without a computer - I only use mine to type on this forum or to look up recipes, gardening info, etc. I don't have a cell phone, Blackberry, Ipod, etc. My job (cook/server at high school cafeteria) doesn't require tech. I do watch some TV (mostly for the news or old classic movies on TCM), but I prefer reading - actual books that I get from the library, not a Kindle. My daughters say I'm in a time warp. Going from a stress filled office environment with constant pressures to be more "tech savvy", to my current tech-free low stress job, I've discovered that I really love simple pleasures and have re-learned how to enjoy quiet and solitude.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,671,712 times
what a nut....that's all i have to say lol. I don't agree with parents doing social experiments like that....but do it when the kids are young...don't decide to do it when it is a big part of their lives.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM

834 posts, read 2,196,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
When a family is TOGETHER in the car or out having dinner and the children would prefer to communicate with someone who isn't even present ? Problem. When parents can't bear the thought of taking a road trip with their own children without a DVD player and headphones in the van that is just SAD. Sign of the times.
I love technology! But, when I bought my car in late 2009 I on purpose did not add the DVD entertainment system. My toddler daughter loves watching her shows but when we're out of the house there is no TV - she's my backsteat driver -telling me it's not safe to be on the phone and drive, paying attention to the color of traffic lights (green - she yells go go go). She can recongize cars that look like mine. We talk, listen to music and sometimes some of her audio books. She enjoys looking out the window and asking questions about what she sees. And of course, playing I spy.

There are times when you don't NEED to have technology. But again, I would not give up my PC, iPhone, etc for good.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:41 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I can compare my Ipod to a stereo because DH and I have put all our CDs onto our Ipods, and we often hook the Ipod up to the stereo (very simple) to play music instead of playing CDs. We do this in the car, also.
I hadn't even thought of that. Duhhh...

I have the ability to play mine in my car as well. Now, all I need to do is take the spare change out of the holder and learn how to hook it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting