Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If your senior wanted to attend "Beach Week" with 12 other teens, and no parents, an hour
No way. Not even WITH a parent. It's a recipe for disaster. 17 19.10%
No way. No parents...no go. If we can agree on parents staying, as was the original plan, then okay. 26 29.21%
Kid can go if he/she pays, and you (their parent) are free to show up at anytime to see how things are going. 19 21.35%
Sure...no problem. Go have a great time. Here's some money. See you in a week. 15 16.85%
Something other that the above...and please explain below. 12 13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Literally no. Figuratively...yes. Been there...done it. Have lots of bad stories.

Right. So you would just let YOUR child sit in jail surrounded by a cross section of criminal society.

Ever had to pay for an attorney to defend you for anything beyond a misdemeanor crime? Here's a hint. It would cost more than what you can make at burger king.

I'm sorry your mother doesn't love you.
Yeah I would because its I either bail my kid out and he goes to a hearing to find out his punishment, or he sits in jail a few days and then has his hearing.

And no I haven't ever had to have an attorney defend me for anything because I haven't been in trouble.

Anyways, attorneys aren't there to keep you out of trouble they are only there to make sure that the accused rights are not violated during trial and that everything is by the books and that all the facts were found with legal justification.

Guilty is guilty no matter how good your lawyer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
But the 18-year-olds aren't legal in this situation. They can't legally rent the house on their own, and they can't legally drink. So that makes it a totally different situation than your over-21 Vegas trip.
They may not be able to legally rent the house but they could have an older cousin stay or something.

And its ASSUMED that the kids will drink, you cannot for 100% say that there will be drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,042 times
I am at the beach- 30A of Florida Panhandle-I am with my 16 YO and several families in different condos/houses. We have 2 families who have freshman in college and we have already heard of 2 houses(one being a group of HS seniors) being evicted b/c of no parents at house. Of the 2 families with us- 1 kid has a mom staying at house and the other one has a parent staying close by in case they are caught he can be there quickly. We saw one of their kids yesterday on the beach with a group of about 30 playing ad drinking game we spoke briefly then just kept walking and said I feel sorry for the families with kids sitting next to them...
I think for the most part in a group there is always someone that is more responsible than the others. The mom with us said they get so tired and can't part all day every day.
I would make sure the parent is nearby-

Old 03-18-2011, 07:35 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I was a good kid in high school and would have been perfectly well-behaved at a beach house vacation, BUT still would have never expected to be allowed to go off somewhere for a week with no parents whatsoever. Having some adults around is reasonable. I wouldn't allow it to be otherwise. The only reason I could see being upset by having a parent (from the kid perspective) was if there were hopes to be doing things that were illegal or otherwise problematic. The supervising parents can be a low-key and in the background (OBX is a great place to sit around with a book!), but there just in case. They can also take on the boring responsibilities of being liaison with landlord, neighbors, etc.; after all, do the kids want to interrupt their vacation time if, say, a pipe bursts? And these are high school students still living at home, right? They're not out in the world making their own way. They can wait a few years (or a couple of months, or whatever) and do it on their own if they want.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-18-2011 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I was a good kid in high school and would have been perfectly well-behaved at a beach house vacation, BUT still would have never expected to be allowed to go off somewhere for a week with no parents whatsoever. Having some adults around is reasonable. I wouldn't allow it to be otherwise. The only reason I could see being upset by having a parent (from the kid perspective) was if there were hopes to be doing things that were illegal or otherwise problematic. The supervising parents can be a low-key and in the background (OBX is a great place to sit around with a book!), but there just in case. They can also take on the boring responsibilities of being liaison with landlord, neighbors, etc.; after all, do the kids want to interrupt their vacation time if, say, a pipe bursts? And these are high school students still living at home, right? They're not out in the world making their own way. They can wait a few years (or a couple of months, or whatever) and do it on their own if they want.
At 18 though they are legal to smoke, have sex and make the decision to break a law that says they can't drink till 21. Legally they can make those decisions and only them be held liable for them.

At 18 they should be able to do things like have sex or whatever else because its their adult right.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-18-2011 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Please don’t hijack the thread. It's not about you.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,042 times
UPDATE - we just heard from our friend's son that 2 college kids died this week
one girl fell from a balcony and a guy choked on vomit but also was drug related
a 9th grader had alcohol poisoning

The majority survived but there are always these stories- very scary!!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
At 18 though they are legal to smoke, have sex and make the decision to break a law that says they can't drink till 21. Legally they can make those decisions and only them be held liable for them.

At 18 they should be able to do things like have sex or whatever else because its their adult right.

Moderator cut: snip
Oh, I know; but these are recent graduates who are presumably still living at home with mommy and daddy, not out on their own in the world. If they want to live an adult life then they can do so once they're living like adults.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Oh, I know; but these are recent graduates who are presumably still living at home with mommy and daddy, not out on their own in the world. If they want to live an adult life then they can do so once they're living like adults.
I don't agree with that. Some people don't leave the house till early to mid twenties so they can finish college and get settled into jobs. Does that mean they are suppose to not have sex, smoke, drink, go party, road trip or whatever else their parents might not agree with? I'm talking outside the house of course.

Say Jane doe is 21 and wants to go out to a bar with her boyfriend and sleep at her boyfriends place that night, presumably going to have sex, she lives at home rent free but pays for everything else and helps out around the house, should mommy and daddy have final veto over her extracurriculars? I say hell no.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
The kids in question are high school seniors. Some may not even be 18 years old.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
UPDATE - we just heard from our friend's son that 2 college kids died this week
one girl fell from a balcony and a guy choked on vomit but also was drug related
a 9th grader had alcohol poisoning

The majority survived but there are always these stories- very scary!!
No. There are not always "these stories". The "majority survived"? What? Every single one of those kids should have returned home to their families!These are kids that are out of control.

Falling from a balcony? Do you know how? Was she so drunk she just pitched over the edge? A ninth grader with alcohol poisoning? Do you realise how much booze you have to pour down your throat for that to happen? It's not one or two beers. It's drink after drink after drink. That kid probably picked up a bottle and didn't stop drinking until it was empty.

Choking on your own vomit because you are so stoned you are laying on the floor regurgitating and you can't help yourself and your friends are so out of it they can't help you. That's such a red flag I can barely contain myself.

If these are the type of "kids" my child would be with I'd put a grip so tight on him he wouldn't be able to breath. THIS is the time parents step in and say, "NO!" This is not a fun week at the beach with kids who know how to set limits and be halfway responsible. This insanity.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So, that brings up an off topic question (but I think we went off many posts ago, lol) but~
is it even legal to put an age limit on the rentals like that? Wouldn't that be discrimination of some kind? If the law says 21 is old enough to sign a contract and accept legal responsibility can a property owner just up and put his own conditions on who can and can't rent from him?
You must not be very old yourself. Of COURSE it's legal. Just go try and rent a car before you are 25. Just because you turn 18, there is no magical maturity wand that gets waved over you. And obviously, businesses have to take this into consideration. They would be foolish to do otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting