Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Its not a parents responsibility.
Most financial experts will tell you to invest in your retirement than pay for your kids college..due to the fact..kids can get grants, loans, scholarships and other means to pay for college...and things like that aren't given to us.
Why parents think it is I dont understand..And when kids have someone else pay for their college..its seems they dont really care about their education..when a kid pays for it themselves they seem to appreciate it more..
I absolutely disagree. The child decides whether or not they are going to care about college long before the first bill arrives. There are many students who valued their education every bit as much as I did despite having lots of help from their parents. Sure there are some kids who go to college just because their parents foot the bill, but that doesn't mean that the fact that the parents pay degrades the value of the degree in the student's view.

Sure kids can get grants, loans, scholarships, and other means to pay for college but most of the talk about grants/scholarships is baloney. I was an excellent student in high school and college, but I got next to nothing in "free money" because I was a middle class white male (I applied for tons of scholarships). Combine that with the fact that my parents made a fair amount but were terrible with their money means that I graduated with 60k+ in debt for an IN STATE college degree. Oh yeah, and I worked internships during college too. I didn't get a dime from either of my parents. This debt will financially cripple me for the next 10 years despite making a nice engineering salary. Is it the parent's responsibility to TRY to help lessen that burden? If you ask me I would say absolutely. Not helping your kids with college is a terrible burden to thrust upon them. 18 years of possible savings, however little, were wasted. I take plenty of the blame for a poor choice of school and not working even more, but not even attempting to help your kids with such a burden is just plain selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Combine that with the fact that my parents made a fair amount but were terrible with their money means that I graduated with 60k+ in debt for an IN STATE college degree. Oh yeah, and I worked internships during college too. I didn't get a dime from either of my parents. This debt will financially cripple me for the next 10 years despite making a nice engineering salary. Is it the parent's responsibility to TRY to help lessen that burden? If you ask me I would say absolutely. Not helping your kids with college is a terrible burden to thrust upon them. 18 years of possible savings, however little, were wasted. I take plenty of the blame for a poor choice of school and not working even more, but not even attempting to help your kids with such a burden is just plain selfish.
You knew your parents didn't have the money to support your college tuition. You wanted a higher education. You chose what school to attend and how much debt to incur. And you are blaming them since they were so terrible with their money that now you have to use your money from your nice salary to pay off a product that you will benefit from for the rest of your life. And it's the parents who are selfish?

I don't get that.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I call it the heck of a lot better chance to be gainfully employed and not living with me club.
^^^^This!^^^^^

Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You knew your parents didn't have the money to support your college tuition. You wanted a higher education. You chose what school to attend and how much debt to incur. And you are blaming them since they were so terrible with their money that now you have to use your money from your nice salary to pay off a product that you will benefit from for the rest of your life. And it's the parents who are selfish?

I don't get that.
Expecting an 18 year old to be so pragmatic is a bit much.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
Quote:

I don't get that.
I did mention in my post that I am to blame as well. I could have done two years at a community college and worked another job, most likely at the cost of my GPA. It is also my fault for allowing myself to fall into this situation. My salary isn't so nice after subtracting student loan payments.

They didn't have the means to help only as a result of financial irresponsibility that they are well aware of. When I am a parent one day I know I will do things much differently.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Give one actual example of a true college student paying for college as they go along. Not someone gettng company-sponsored tution reimbursement or the like, someone actually pursuing a bachelor's degree. You don't need to name names, of course.

Myself!
How? By going to a state school, commuting to college, and working my @ss of on part or full time jobs while taking a full college curiculum.

...and now I think, from the responses I see as a quickly glance through this, you got 10+ examples? Enough for you?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Expecting an 18 year old to be so pragmatic is a bit much.
Not seeing where pragmatics come into play. An 18 year is told that mom and dad can't pay for college so they get student loans, graduate, and are lucky enough to get a job with a nice salary and then have to pay the piper. It's at that time (when they are 22 or so) that they get mad at the parents that they have to spend their own money to pay the loan back.

I'm not saying that it doesn't suck. I'm just saying that it is what it is and resenting the parents for not absorbing debt that they don't have the means to cover, while the student has a job with a nice salary is just not something I can agree with. The student has a lifetime to pay off the debt. The parents have limited time to save for their later years once they get older and from the sound the post, it doesn't sound like they have very much.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
They didn't have the means to help only as a result of financial irresponsibility that they are well aware of. When I am a parent one day I know I will do things much differently.
That is the best you can do. Keep chipping away at the loans. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Not seeing where pragmatics come into play. An 18 year is told that mom and dad can't pay for college so they get student loans, graduate, and are lucky enough to get a job with a nice salary and then have to pay the piper. It's at that time (when they are 22 or so) that they get mad at the parents that they have to spend their own money to pay the loan back.
I think most 18 year old don't realize the implications of having $20,000+ worth of debt once they graduate. They are told, "This is good debt because it's for your education." They don't realize they probably aren't going to land that six figure dream job right away and quickly be able to knock out that debt. Then they end up financing other stuff heavily because they are paying high monthly payments on their student loans, and the debt cycle perpetuates itself.

It would be nice if people in this country could collectively figure out that it doesn't have to be this way.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Myself!
How? By going to a state school, commuting to college, and working my @ss of on part or full time jobs while taking a full college curiculum.

...and now I think, from the responses I see as a quickly glance through this, you got 10+ examples? Enough for you?
Not everyone has the option of commuting to a good state college. I might point out, if you lived "at home" you were getting free room and board, the equivalent of ~$1000/mo in today's money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting