Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I still find these stories to be a bit embellished. People living "at home", e.g. paying no living expenses; people whose parents gave them cars, but no tuition money, etc. For the ones who claim to be working full time and going to school full time simultaneously, the hours don't add up.

I did it..Went to school Mon -Thurs 9am-5pm
Work Mon-Fri 6pm-11pm and from Sat and Sun 12pm-11pm
I had off Friday during the day.
How I wish I had help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Not everyone has the option of commuting to a good state college. I might point out, if you lived "at home" you were getting free room and board, the equivalent of ~$1000/mo in today's money.
Why do you keep changing the goal posts? You asked for examples, people gave them and now you are nitpicking about a different aspect of the post.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I still find these stories to be a bit embellished. People living "at home", e.g. paying no living expenses; people whose parents gave them cars, but no tuition money, etc. For the ones who claim to be working full time and going to school full time simultaneously, the hours don't add up.
How do you figure?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I think you're probably right. My friend who did it was a business major which generally requires less outside work/studying than my major did. It's pretty impressive that you managed to get yourself through. Hopefully you didn't have too many gray hairs on graduation day!!
This is how I did it -
-Got the partying out of my system and started "serious" full time college in my early 20's and not when I was still 18 year old child (I did have a stint in college when I was 18, partied hard, my grades showed it, then I quit for a few years before going back seriously).
-Had a job in my final years where I was able to study much of the time while working.
-Went to a local community college first and got my easy credit course out of the way first before buckling down in the university for the final 2 years of sheer will power, cafiene, hard work, and no sleep to get through the rest. About 2 years is all I could have taken.
-And, of course, it's amazing how serious you take college when you are actually paying for it yourself - an unrealized benifit to doing it yourself.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
For all who have questioned "how do I figure the hours don't add up":

A full time college load is generally 15 credit hours. Many courses require labs which are 1 credit hour for 3-4 hours of lab; the same is true of many music and arts classes. Your classes aren't usually conveniently scheduled so that you go to class say , 8AM-11AM M-F. At least in my case, and in the case of my kids, my husband and everyone else I know that went to collgee, the classes may be scheduled so that you have to dedicate most of the daytime hours, 8 AM- 4 PM to class, with little gaps here and there. Labs can run 1-4 PM or so. My younger daughter, going to a large state university, had evening labs, too. It's a little hard to schedule work around these hours. Then add 30 hr/wk of study to that, plus commute time, plus a little time for general living stuff like laundry, grocery shopping and the like.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:

A full time college load is generally 15 credit hours. Many courses require labs which are 1 credit hour for 3-4 hours of lab; the same is true of many music and arts classes. Your classes aren't usually conveniently scheduled so that you go to class say , 8AM-11AM M-F. At least in my case, and in the case of my kids, my husband and everyone else I know that went to collgee, the classes may be scheduled so that you have to dedicate most of the daytime hours, 8 AM- 4 PM to class, with little gaps here and there. Labs can run 1-4 PM or so. My younger daughter, going to a large state university, had evening labs, too. It's a little hard to schedule work around these hours. Then add 30 hr/wk of study to that, plus commute time, plus a little time for general living stuff like laundry, grocery shopping and the like.
A full time college load is 12 to 15 hours. College labs? Maybe only for your core curiculum classes. I don't remember labs for my business degree - what we had was studies, thesis, etc. and that took time outside the classroom..but that was more flexible than anything else. Class times? As a worker I was very well aware of the difficulty with class times and scheduling them so they fit together. Yeah, that meant getting first in line very early in the morning when the semester class schedule sign-up opened for the next quarter and then waiting to get the courses that fit within my available time before they filled up. Again, all it requires is effort.

Point remains - people have said it's doable, and it is. And I still see you as just hating to admit you are wrong although you have almost the entire forum saying you are.

Another option for people - go to school part time, work full time. Many adults do this.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Some people work overnights so they can do day or night classes. Some colleges offer night, weekend, online and satellite classes.

It IS possible. No, really, it is.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM

Not all, or even most, majors require labs for the majority of the classes. Maybe core classes (like Dd714 said) but not the majority of a major.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not all, or even most, majors require labs for the majority of the classes. Maybe core classes (like Dd714 said) but not the majority of a major.
If you major in nursing, engineering or any hard science, you will have labs. If you major in any kind of performing arts, you will have courses that are several hours in length, e.g. a rehearsal or an art lab, where you will get 1 credit hour for 4 hrs or so of time. Any health professions course will require clinical experience, which also gives about 1 credit for every 4 hours put in. Also, at my daughter's college, everyone had to take a lab science class to graduate.

I'm wondering if those of you who are arguing so much about this even went to college. I recall one person from a few months ago who refused to tell me what his major was, after claiming he went to college full time and worked full time.

As for "all it requires is effort" that Dd714 said, many courses are offered one section only, you have no choice when you take it.

As for ME moving the goalposts, this is supposedly a discussion about how one can go to college full time and work full time simultaneously, yet now someone is saying you can go to college part time. Well, yeah. You can do one or the other full time, but I don't think you can do both, unless you do some "fluff" major.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If you major in nursing, engineering or any hard science, you will have labs. If you major in any kind of performing arts, you will have courses that are several hours in length, e.g. a rehearsal or an art lab, where you will get 1 credit hour for 4 hrs or so of time. Any health professions course will require clinical experience, which also gives about 1 credit for every 4 hours put in. Also, at my daughter's college, everyone had to take a lab science class to graduate.
Why are you so insistent that you are right? You are not. It is quite possible to work full time and get a degree. Deal with it.

Quote:
I'm wondering if those of you who are arguing so much about this even went to college. I recall one person from a few months ago who refused to tell me what his major was, after claiming he went to college full time and worked full time.
Yes, I did. For an art major. I worked full time for all of the semesters except ONE.

Quote:
As for "all it requires is effort" that Dd714 said, many courses are offered one section only, you have no choice when you take it.
Obviously, that is not an across the board accuracy. Maybe in your sphere of knowledge, that's true. I know many colleges that offer sections for night, weekend, satellite and online classes.

Quote:
As for ME moving the goalposts, this is supposedly a discussion about how one can go to college full time and work full time simultaneously, yet now someone is saying you can go to college part time. Well, yeah. You can do one or the other full time, but I don't think you can do both, unless you do some "fluff" major.

Yes, that's it. Only "fluff" majors can be accomplished while working FT. GMAFB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting