Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone had a good day.

Sooo... Are we placing bets on whether or not Hopes got her taxes done?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Man, I hate taxes. We're still waiting on our state return. I say she gets them done.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,291 times
My team had a successful Relay for Life. We raised 3x as much as we did last year and won several of the contests. I also spoke to a woman in charge about a few of the issues we had last year and they were resolved this year. It's nice to know that the majority of people out there really are good people when you give them the chance.

I also got to introduce my husband's service dog to a lot of people and explain why he is a service dog (PTSD) and what he does. A lot of people are unfamiliar with what that means but when you educate and give them the chance to understand they are usually supportive. Each person is one fewer that will pass judgment too quickly next time they meet someone with PTSD. It's been a good 24 hours

I didn't like Black Swan but it's not really my "type" of movie. The acting was very good, I will admit.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Good to hear things went so well, Pass!

What kind of dog is it and what's his/her name? How does the dog help your DH? (Once again, full of questions.)

Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Hey all....just wasting some time here....got most of the painting done. Need to touch up and still do some trim. It was a pain because the room is smallish and it wasn't really practical to move the furniture out. Lots of walking around furniture and doing things in odd order - so it took longer. I'm hoping to finish it all up tomorrow but may have to take a day off of the painting. My wrist may not be on board with another day of painting....we'll see how it feels in the morning.

Wish DS would get home. He came home from the baseball game last night and rested for an hour or two before heading to afterprom. Came home at 8ish went directly to bed then got up at 9:30 to go aerate lawns. He is still gone from that. He'll be exhausted whenever he gets home.

Picked up The Fighter from Redbox...will start that later on, once DS is home.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 PM

He's a springer spaniel, about 5 years old. He "blocks", meaning he prevents people approaching unannounced from behind. He also alerts both of us to unusual (but not dangerous) things with a short bark, barks more intently if a noise seems more suspicious (likely to cause a flashback), and we are still working on him licking my husband to calm him during a flashback. People tend to notice him because it's a pretty rare breed for a service dog, but any dog with the right temperament can be trained. He even has a command where he is allowed to greet a person for a minute before returning to his normal duties.

He also provides emotional support in general but technically to be considered a service dog he has to perform specific tasks related to the disability.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
He's a springer spaniel, about 5 years old. He "blocks", meaning he prevents people approaching unannounced from behind. He also alerts both of us to unusual (but not dangerous) things with a short bark, barks more intently if a noise seems more suspicious (likely to cause a flashback), and we are still working on him licking my husband to calm him during a flashback. People tend to notice him because it's a pretty rare breed for a service dog, but any dog with the right temperament can be trained. He even has a command where he is allowed to greet a person for a minute before returning to his normal duties.

He also provides emotional support in general but technically to be considered a service dog he has to perform specific tasks related to the disability.
I'm sorry your DH has this cross to bear.

But I am glad he has a dog to reduce the stress and anxiety a bit. Sounds quite intriguing.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I've never heard of a service dog that could assist in that way - that is way cool!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Very interesting Pass. My DH, and two brothers all had varying degrees of PTSD after Vietnam. Thankfully for each of them it has gotten better as the years have passed but they all have the "startle" thing. My dad had it as well, but I never learned abou it until he was in his 70's and started talking about what happened to him in the war. So I know a bit of what your husband is coping with. I'm glad he has the dog to help him. And you!

Good job, there mm. I did a whole lot of nothing today. Read an article in Vanity Fair on the Royal Wedding. Beginning my prep work for the big day. DH was actually rummaging around trying to find our Union Jack. He's very good at humoring me.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I've never heard of a service dog that could assist in that way - that is way cool!
I had no idea they existed until I was chatting with an online friend and she mentioned she was training a dog to deal with a combination of PTSD and a physical disability (muscular disease I think; don't remember exactly). She used a pit bull puppy since it had the appropriate temperament and would also grow to be physically capable of supporting the weight of an adult.

There are a few organizations that train dogs specifically for war vets with PTSD and/or other issues but we went through training courses ourselves

Unfortunately there is no national registration for service dogs so anyone can take a pet and call it a service dog. People will question us sometimes since it's obvious our dog isn't serving a blind or wheelchair bound person but we have spent a lot of time in training and also have documentation that he is is necessary for a disability and what tasks he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting