Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't think I will be staying there THAT long. I think I'll be gone maybe 2 weeks, idk, maybe a month, who knows, probably two weeks or whenever I get home sick.
Look for a job when you get there. Just give it a try. Just look. You never know what will happen. It might be the best thing that ever happened for you.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Look for a job when you get there. Just give it a try. Just look. You never know what will happen. It might be the best thing that ever happened for you.
I'll look but I am not going to make going there permanent, no way in hell.
She lives in the country part of Tennessee, no thank you ever again.

Last time I was there I nearly got arrested when my mom hit me, and the cop justified it because "his daddy used to beat him with a broom", he told me this with a mouth full of chew...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Zim! Are you saying that on Suite Life on Deck they actually used the phrase "no sperm in his nuts"?
No, that was my daughter's interpretation, she couldn't repeat to me the exact verbage, but once we talked about it a bit, she had a pretty clear understanding of what is was they were getting at so....

I understand that with more and more kids conceived this way maybe they want to include these story lines to make those kids feel more mainstream, but it sure did catch me off guard. I don't know how relelvant it is for a kids/tweens show though. I am just glad that we have been talking about the birds and bees for a while so we didn't have to start all the way at the basics. I also wonder if a child had heard nothing about it before, perhaps it would go over their heads?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I think it's silly that script writers think children need taught about IFV. Sorry. It's not like a family that uses IFV is noticably different. like a homosexual couple, and the general population needs to be educated. I also think it's unlikely that most families that use IFV tell their children they were conceived that way---at least not in the early years. Why would they make a point of saying the father isn't a biological father? Isn't the entire point of having a child via IFV is for the child to be partly related biologically? If they don't care about the genetic connection, why wouldn't they adopt? I know. I'm on a rant. But it's all illogical to me. Sounds like a script writer had a personal agenda.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 PM

I agree, I think it's way over the top for a kids show.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No, that was my daughter's interpretation, she couldn't repeat to me the exact verbage, but once we talked about it a bit, she had a pretty clear understanding of what is was they were getting at so....

I understand that with more and more kids conceived this way maybe they want to include these story lines to make those kids feel more mainstream, but it sure did catch me off guard. I don't know how relelvant it is for a kids/tweens show though. I am just glad that we have been talking about the birds and bees for a while so we didn't have to start all the way at the basics. I also wonder if a child had heard nothing about it before, perhaps it would go over their heads?
I really don't think that belongs on a children's show. I could see it on a teen show, but teens don't exactly watch that show as far as I know. It would involve a much deeper conversation for our family because IVF is against our religious beliefs.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I really don't think that belongs on a children's show. I could see it on a teen show, but teens don't exactly watch that show as far as I know. It would involve a much deeper conversation for our family because IVF is against our religious beliefs.
What if that's the only way someone can have kids? Do you really think its fair for them to not have kids any possible way they can? I think if a couple really wants to have kids they should do everything in their power to do so. That's a huge thing to be deprived of. I was gonna donate eggs but I have to wait a year after getting my belly button pierced till I'm eligible to, making that dream possible for a couple is a kind and generous thing in my opinion. And what does religion have to do with IVF anyways?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:55 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
So I made a new friend. She works with me. She's nice. She told me her mother has never yelled or raised her voice to her. I think that is so weird. My mom always yelled as we are italian and it's part of our culture. I can get yelled at and brush it off easily.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Agreed, it has no place being discussed there. It's hard enough to even discuss the basics of IVF with an 8 year-old without getting into the basics. I'll put that part of it on hold for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What if that's the only way someone can have kids? Do you really think its fair for them to not have kids any possible way they can? I think if a couple really wants to have kids they should do everything in their power to do so. That's a huge thing to be deprived of. I was gonna donate eggs but I have to wait a year after getting my belly button pierced till I'm eligible to, making that dream possible for a couple is a kind and generous thing in my opinion. And what does religion have to do with IVF anyways?
It's complicated, and each religion has it's own opinion on IVF. Do some reading:

Different religious concepts about IVF and assisted reproduction In Vitro Fertilization IVF

Reconciling religion and infertility

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
So I made a new friend. She works with me. She's nice. She told me her mother has never yelled or raised her voice to her. I think that is so weird. My mom always yelled as we are italian and it's part of our culture. I can get yelled at and brush it off easily.
New friends are good. How's the job going? I can't fathom growing up and not being yelled at. I may have yelled at my kids once or twice too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting