Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,068,822 times

Advertisements

We didn't have hints for our Easter baskets, so it was a free for all looking for them. I have absolutely no memory of ever believing in the Easter bunny or of my parents telling me it didn't exist. I don't think our family did that.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,068,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm sitting at the kids school waiting for a meeting to start. This conversation is taking place next to me:

"We'd really like to attend X Baptist Church as it's the most prestigious, but it costs so much to get the good seats".

Not much to say about that.

Some churches have fundraisers for a few seats on Easter. It's a way to bring in money for the church. I've only heard of this being done in the South.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,178,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Morning all!

Aconite - does he now think that girls with cleavage are or are not a ho?

(Ho's would have been more proper but I can't figure out how you write the plural. Ho's isn't right but hos looks wrong too. )

Kudos to you for having that conversation with him. I would have love to have been a fly on that wall.
He is thirteen. He thinks girls with cleavage are a gift from all the Gods. Though he won't admit to that-- but I know to look for his ears turning red (the curse of the ginger-headed boy).
He thinks the girls at the middle school dress badly, but he apparently appreciates the effort.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You guys are cracking me up. Have any of you made a cat-litter tray cake with your kids? I did it in both my kids classrooms last year, it is hilarious.
I made one for my oldest daughter's birthday several years ago. Got the recipe off a Mormon Moms website. (I used to lurk for the recipes.)

Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Actually Dew, my MIL bought the classic version of Bambi for MissFR for her bday - she asked me had I seen it but I never had, so I told her it made my friend Dew very sad and that I didn't think MissFR was ready for it.

I said I wouldn't watch it either. I can't do animals getting killed.

So she took it back.
You should read the original book by Felix Salten. Here's the synopsis: Bambi, A Life in the Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,527,388 times
Sorry I didn't get back to answer this question sooner. The megachurches in Atlanta have congregations from 25 to 45 thousand. They look like college campuses, and they are more like a country club than a church. Due to the size they have 1 chapel, and then many additional buildings where you view the service on a big screen. You are assigned seating, and if you are a newbie you get assigned the outer out-buildings, the more you tithe, the closer in you go.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,779,594 times
Quote:
Sorry I didn't get back to answer this question sooner. The megachurches in Atlanta have congregations from 25 to 45 thousand. They look like college campuses, and they are more like a country club than a church. Due to the size they have 1 chapel, and then many additional buildings where you view the service on a big screen. You are assigned seating, and if you are a newbie you get assigned the outer out-buildings, the more you tithe, the closer in you go.
That's just sickening. That isn't what going to church should be all about.

How can these churchs get away with treating wealthier members better on a daily basis like that? A Christian church at that?

That wouldn't fly here. Pittsburghers would be very turned off by the greediness.

It's amazing those mega churches have tens of thousands of members. It must be a cultural and social thing.

I always knew I'd have a hard time fitting into the south just for being a Yankee. Now I know I wouldn't fit in at all.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,081,367 times
I've never heard of that church thing. I can't imagine that happening in my church. I'm with hopes. I wouldn't make a good southerner.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,779,594 times
When I took the labrador to the vet, my son said the beagle basset whined and cried the entire two hours we were gone.

Nothing he could do would sooth the beagle basset.

It's sweet he's so attached to the labrador, but what's he going to do when the old labrador dies?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,527,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's just sickening. That isn't what going to church should be all about.

How can these churchs get away with treating wealthier members better on a daily basis like that? A Christian church at that?

That wouldn't fly here. Pittsburghers would be very turned off by the greediness.

It's amazing those mega churches have tens of thousands of members. It must be a cultural and social thing.

I always knew I'd have a hard time fitting into the south just for being a Yankee. Now I know I wouldn't fit in at all.
Umm.....may I remind you that you are an atheist....just in case you forgot!

I agree though, rather goes against what I would imagine it's supposed to be all about.

And we are probably asked, on average, about 4 times a week which church we attend. Gets very tedious explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting