Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

I cannot read James Herriot unless I have a big box of Kleenex with me. Morning Fin!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Fin - Is MissFR signed up for preschool?
No, not yet. I'm checking them out for September - I think we're going to try for the local co op. But I'm glad you mentioned it - I forget that you have to plan all this stuff months in advance - I'd better make an appointment to visit.

I'm such a dreadful procrastinator, it's not funny.

ETA Morning Dew!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Saint Maybe by Ann Tyler

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Winds of War by Herman Wouk

Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls

Mukiwa - Peter Godwin

Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight - Alexandra Fuller

Me Talk Pretty One Day - Dave Sedaris

Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM

OK, so I had this weird thing happen yesterday, and I fear a major parenting failure on my part. We were at a school fund-raiser at a Chuck e Cheese type place. We were about to leave and DD8 was feeding those darned tickets into the machine to claim her el-crappo prize. I was standing there with a teacher, and a friend of mine, and there were about 10 kids standing in a line waiting their turn. DS10 was directly behind DD. Anyway DD had fed about 100 tickets in and was about to make a selection when some random woman (not with our school) with a toddler in tow pushes in front of DD and makes a selection, retreives the toy and starts to walk off. I wasn't really paying attention, but DS walks up to the lady says "excuse me, but those were my sister's tickets", the women turns around and say "I don't care, you all were taking too long". By now I have been apprised of the situation, so I go over to her and say "excuse me, those were my daughter's tickets, she was in the middle of making a selection". She looks in my face and says "So what, I don't care". I was pretty taken aback, but sensed some Jerry Springer potential here, so I gave her a good long stink-eye, said a loud "WOW", and we left. DD was extremely upset, I think it was a combination of disappointment and having an adult be so rude to her. Afterwards I chatted with my kids about it, and they realized that she was in the wrong and inconsiderate. I wondered if I should have done anything else. What would you have done?

ETA - This wasn't about the goodie/tickets for me, what I struggled with was this is the first time an adult had been intentionally rude and hurtful to one of my children in my presence, and quite honestly I was at a loss.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 05-04-2011 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: ETA

Old 05-04-2011, 10:52 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
OK, so I had this weird thing happen yesterday, and I fear a major parenting failure on my part. We were at a school fund-raiser at a Chuck e Cheese type place. We were about to leave and DD8 was feeding those darned tickets into the machine to claim her el-crappo prize. I was standing there with a teacher, and a friend of mine, and there were about 10 kids standing in a line waiting their turn. DS10 was directly behind DD. Anyway DD had fed about 100 tickets in and was about to make a selection when some random woman (not with our school) with a toddler in tow pushes in front of DD and makes a selection, retreives the toy and starts to walk off. I wasn't really paying attention, but DS walks up to the lady says "excuse me, but those were my sister's tickets", the women turns around and say "I don't care, you all were taking too long". By now I have been apprised of the situation, so I go over to her and say "excuse me, those were my daughter's tickets, she was in the middle of making a selection". She looks in my face and says "So what, I don't care". I was pretty taken aback, but sensed some Jerry Springer potential here, so I gave her a good long stink-eye, said a loud "WOW", and we left. DD was extremely upset, I think it was a combination of disappointment and having an adult be so rude to her. Afterwards I chatted with my kids about it, and they realized that she was in the wrong and inconsiderate. I wondered if I should have done anything else. What would you have done?

ETA - This wasn't about the goodie/tickets for me, what I struggled with was this is the first time an adult had been intentionally rude and hurtful to one of my children in my presence, and quite honestly I was at a loss.
Oh boy. What I would do, and what I should do, would likely have not been the same thing.

I don't know if I would have kept my temper in that situation. If somebody had been that outright mean to MissFR I probably would have lost it after the second I don't care. I'm not one to throw a punch or anything, but I would probably have told her where to stick her flipping tickets.

Then I would have given the do as I say lecture. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Zimbo, I give you major credit for keeping your cool. Wow is what I'm thinking too. I'm taken aback that an adult would act like that.

Your DS - what a little gentleman looking out for his sister.

Let's hope that's the first and last time you ever come across someone like that.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Just got back from taking TK to the ortho. He's scheduled for hand surgery on Tuesday.

The ortho said he isn't allowed to get his wisdom teeth removed for a couple of months---because it could spread infection to the hand sugery location.

The good news is we found out that the mother can't cancel his insurance until the next open enrollment, which is January 2012.

Glad to hear some of you are having nice weather. It's raining again here. It has rained every day for the past two months.

I'm not exaggerating. They say we've only had 5 days of sunshine since the new year. It's like we live in a tropical rain forest of up here.

It's a good thing I like rain!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh boy. What I would do, and what I should do, would likely have not been the same thing.

I don't know if I would have kept my temper in that situation. If somebody had been that outright mean to MissFR I probably would have lost it after the second I don't care. I'm not one to throw a punch or anything, but I would probably have told her where to stick her flipping tickets.

Then I would have given the do as I say lecture. Oh well, nobody's perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Zimbo, I give you major credit for keeping your cool. Wow is what I'm thinking too. I'm taken aback that an adult would act like that.

Your DS - what a little gentleman looking out for his sister.

Let's hope that's the first and last time you ever come across someone like that.
Yes, I was very proud of my son. My dilemma was having 10 little pairs of eyes watching to see what I would do, and the fact that this was a school function made it tricky. I didn't want to set the wrong precedent. It's a fine line teaching kids when to be confrontational and defend themselves, and when it's not worth it to do that.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:

Wow! Just caught this post! I'm reading it thinking that you ran into someone with no excuses, hypothetically, in real life. Just, wow!

Kudos to you for keeping your cool. And be proud of your son and daughter for politely standing up for themselves.

What would I have done? Gotten the manager. I would have enjoyed watching her be kicked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting