Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,438,370 times

Advertisements

FR - so glad to hear someone finally stepped up! Good - let's hope it works......

No hot gods here either. I'm keeping my eye on all the contractors working on the house behind us. No one particularly interesting though. I am left wondering how much this guy is spending to get this house going. I know he bought it as a rental - but he seems to be putting a lot of work into it - hardwood floors, new, larger deck, additional landscaping etc. Seems a lot for a rental in this neighborhood (more modest homes for this area). Definitely not complaining though - hoping that means he'll have more of an interest in maintaining it with quality renters....I'm always for that.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 PM

13,388 posts, read 9,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
FR - so glad to hear someone finally stepped up! Good - let's hope it works......

No hot gods here either. I'm keeping my eye on all the contractors working on the house behind us. No one particularly interesting though. I am left wondering how much this guy is spending to get this house going. I know he bought it as a rental - but he seems to be putting a lot of work into it - hardwood floors, new, larger deck, additional landscaping etc. Seems a lot for a rental in this neighborhood (more modest homes for this area). Definitely not complaining though - hoping that means he'll have more of an interest in maintaining it with quality renters....I'm always for that.
Yes, I think my neighbors did cartwheels when I started putting flowers in the front garden. They came over with gardening tools and everything.

Kobber - ahh, that makes sense. Hot Aussie gods. Perfect.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,949,856 times
Okay - I thought Dew also had some sort of hottie experience as well.... the guy that came yesterday - not hot. I'm mean, really not hot at all. So I'm hoping that I'll have better luck with the installers. I'll let you all know.

Oh - the guys who delivered furniture yesterday - not bad on the eyes, but I wouldn't say hot. Big extra points for getting the couch through the window in the basement. We were beginning to think it was a no go.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM

jk - I must have missed stuff yesterday - your flooring going in? New furniture? Yay!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Well, not going in yet - we are going over to Home Depot tonight to get the final estimate now that they have "officially" measured (fingers crossed we were close). I'm guessing the next few weeks.

But we are having to move everything. And we had always planned to put DS's room down in the basement - so he (and we) have more privacy. Since we are having to move everything anyway, we are just doing it all now. So he is getting our old furniture. He's been sleeping on a twin kid bed with his feet hanging off.

We are getting a new bed set. What we had in our room was way, way to big for that room. Will be much better in the basement. Bigger room.

And since we were at it.... we decided to get rid of the 18 year old couch in the basement and get something new. Thank goodness for American Furniture Warehouse and their sales.

Some of this furniture will have to be sold with the house. I am NOT moving it again.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 PM

LOL at American Furniture Warehouse....1/2 my furniture came from there I think (that and Costco) - I am WAY too close to the one down this way - it would be dangerous if I had room for any more furniture..... A few years ago we did splurge on a new bedroom set from Kacey....which I love and I was sad to see them go under recently. DS here is also still hanging off a twin bed. I need to get him a new bed here soon....He'd love to go in the basement but no room there and it's unfinished so probably spidery.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Yeah, we figured it will make for a great guest room when he leaves in a year. DH is moving his office to DS's old bedroom.

Our basement is quite large and that corner has sat empty for a long time. He'll probably end up with the best room in the house. The biggest for sure, and that bathroom is the nicest in the house as well. I love our finished basement. But we did it ourselves, so that helped. Otherwise, they are so expensive to do.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
DH is moving his office to DS's old bedroom
That's what we did with DD....what was the guestroom/office with a hide-a-bed, is now the fulltime guest room with a real queen-sized bed. When DD comes home, she stays there. Her old room is the office. Much nicer for all of us since the guest room has a west facing window - colder in the winter, hotter in the summer.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
A finished basement with a guest room was on our want list when we moved here. It was the first thing to get knocked off the list as the asking price of our CA house kept dropping.

Speaking of... I was on zillow last night. The house we sold in CA for about $400K now has a zestimate of less than $300K. We were soooo lucky to get out when we did.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM

LOL - you are lucky to have been moving from a more expensive place to a less expensive place (relatively). We had the opposite experience when we moved here 17 years ago...we had never paid over $100K for a house - and we had a nice house, in a mature, stable neighborhood in what was considered "the best" school district....we suffered sticker shock that's for sure. We were expecting it to some extent but still...

OK - I'm actually bach-ing it tonight. Only one home. Of course, like any other time, nothing on TV that I'm interested in so I'm digging through the DVDs to see if there is something I wouldn't mind watching....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.