Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,845,865 times

Advertisements

When I was 7, I thought I would help my mom because she was so busy with all of us kids. Sooooooo. The night before picture day, I realized my bangs were a little too long. I wanted the pictures to be perfect for my mom. Yep. I cut my own bangs. There was no way to fix it unless we cut all of my bangs to about 1/4 in long. It was horrible. She still has that picture hanging on her "family wall".

I have NEVER cut my own bangs again.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,528,756 times
Funny.

DD is a serial Barbie hair-cutter, so I knew it was just a matter of time before she just couldn't resist the urge. I warned her that if she chose to be so silly, I would not "fix" it. Sure enough one day she gave herself some bangs cut at about 45 degrees. She was mortified, and I didn't fix them. Once after that she did some self-styling again, but cut hair underneath at the back, but I could never find where from, just found the evidence.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,936,886 times
I think I "self styled" too when I was little. It's tempting with all that hair! I couldn't have done worse though then some of the awful styles my mom forced on me. The Dorthy Hamil, and how about the Shirley Temple.....

Then the 80's.... oh my, the 80's should just disappear from the history books in some cases!

That reminds me of a picture that somehow surfaced during all this moving stuff around. It's of me, 80's and all, high wasted jeans, horrifying hair, pretending to "sit" on a cactus. This was one of a few found over the years - then, while putting together a family book for my DH's parents, I found I did it again recently! I looked at my DH and asked, "what is it with me, you, a camera and a pointy plant through all these years?" Have we really found that funny? I should put them all together in some sort of collage. Now that might actually be funny.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,528,756 times
Coop - you should do it The Cacti Series! Due to my wild hair I avoided the Dorothy Hamil look but I remember it well. For about 10 years my sister had the Farrah Fawcett.

I think everyone shudders at their 80's pictures. Prior to my mullet years I was living in London with blue hair and a few more accoutrements in my ears and nose than I have now.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:18 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,936,886 times
Flooring guy is here. Not a hottie - bit of a Willy Nelson look a like. Nicest guy and his voice...and think he could lull me to sleep with that deep, melodic voice! Of course, it may be a while before he gets to work because my DH is out there yapping it up....at this rate it will take the 3 days they scheduled.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,845,865 times
DD cut her hair once. Luckily she ignored the bangs. However, she took the scissors straight to the back of her head. In a couple of spots, the hair in the back was no longer than an inch. This is from hair that was half way down her back. She was 3 when she did it. It was a Saturday afternoon at 4:00. How many hair dressers that you trust to fix a horrible cut are open after 4:00 on a Saturday or any time on a Sunday? She had picture day at daycare on Monday. Ugh.

Funny though I was on the phone with my MIL when DD came out of the bathroom so proud to show off her new haircut. I stopped in the middle of a sentence and just said "Oh my god." MIL is on the phone asking if everything is ok. I just say "Oh my god." Finally I snap out of it and tell MIL what happened and her first reaction was "Oh my god." We both hang up and start calling everyone we know trying to find someone who can fix this. Each person that we called the first thing they said when we described what happened was "Oh my god." It was crazy. I think most people had that reaction because dd's hair is gorgeous. It is perfect blonde with the most perfect natural high and low lights. Something you could never achieve with a bottle, but women are willing to spend hundreds to get close. Her hair is just perfect.

Anyways. We ended up finding a salon around the corner from my house that actually answered the phone. I asked if she had any openings for that day and she said "I was actually locking up for the day, but how far away are you and what needs to be done?" I told her that I was less than 5 minutes away and my 3 year old cut her own hair. She just said "Oh no. Bring her in." I swear the hairdresser looked like she wanted to cry when she saw what DD did to her hair. We ended up with a graduated bob (shorter in the back and longer in the front) that actually looked really cute on her. By the end of the week, most of the girls in her class had the same haircut. lol.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,067,257 times
Morning all!

Congrats on the new flooring jk! Last night DH was talking about what we need to have done and was bemoaning the thought of ever having to get new carpeting. (We have a lot of bookcases. With a lot of heavy books.) I said the carpet is in good shape we just need a better vacuum to pick up the cat hair.

So we had another talk about getting a Dyson! Yay! Now I have to study up on them and see if there are sales for 4th of July. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM

13,238 posts, read 9,857,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Nu-uh!

And anyway, puhlease, don't try to tell us you didn't have some glorified hair along the way? Methinks you did!
Oh man. You should have seen some of the 80's do's I sported. I've had the Human League hair, the half pink half blue - you name it, any terrible 80's hair trend there was I had it.

Oooh, I had one that was short on top with a braid down the back. OMG. Luckily, it grows quickly.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,904,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh man. You should have seen some of the 80's do's I sported. I've had the Human League hair, the half pink half blue - you name it, any terrible 80's hair trend there was I had it.

Oooh, I had one that was short on top with a braid down the back. OMG. Luckily, it grows quickly.

Oh, a rat tail haircut?! I was in middle school in the early 80's and I remember those being all the rage back then

Luckily, my kids have never cut their hair. Though, my DD got an American Girl doll for Christmas when she was 7 or 8... she chopped the bangs off and attempted to give the doll a bob haircut.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM

13,238 posts, read 9,857,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Oh, a rat tail haircut?! I was in middle school in the early 80's and I remember those being all the rage back then

Luckily, my kids have never cut their hair. Though, my DD got an American Girl doll for Christmas when she was 7 or 8... she chopped the bangs off and attempted to give the doll a bob haircut.
Yes! That's the one. The rat tail haircut. Oh lawd, it was awful!

I keep the scissors well out of reach of MissFR. I think I would bawl my eyes out if she got into her hair with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting