Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,553,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, those are scorpions? I thought they were your kids.

No, they are the "Not-so-Little Southern Devils".

My son is turning into a Southerner though, he has started saying thee-ay-turr for theatre.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
I knew my kids went southern the first time they "yes ma'amed" me. Zimbo, we have had those little scorpions in the house a couple of times. The dogs don't mess with them. What I really hate are the centipedes. I pulled on a pair of jeans out of my closet not too long ago, and one fell out of the leg. I have heard they give a nasty bite. Well I can give a nasty squash.

I am usually the one to handle critters, since DH can't stand them. I have removed two snakes and several lizards from the basement. Phht, they don't bother me. Bugs, on the other hand....

Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,757,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I knew my kids went southern the first time they "yes ma'amed" me. Zimbo, we have had those little scorpions in the house a couple of times. The dogs don't mess with them. What I really hate are the centipedes. I pulled on a pair of jeans out of my closet not too long ago, and one fell out of the leg. I have heard they give a nasty bite. Well I can give a nasty squash.

I am usually the one to handle critters, since DH can't stand them. I have removed two snakes and several lizards from the basement. Phht, they don't bother me. Bugs, on the other hand....
First of all, welcome back!

Secondly, I agree. Snakes are neat. Lizards are cool. Spiders are 100% acceptable outside the house, barely tolerable inside the house. Except the little tiny jumping spiders. Those can jump around all they like on my kitchen counter, they're adorable with their little itty bitty smiley face abdomens. And ladybugs, those are cool in or out of the house as long as they're not flying around. Bees are okay but wasps are intolerable.

Centipedes, milepedes, cockroaches, earwigs, cicadas (oddly, I'm fine with crickets), anything that's a "creepy crawly" including slugs, get sprayed with a full can of Raid until they drown in the stuff, in case the poison doesn't kill them.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Wait you are in Atlanta? Scorpions in Atlanta?

Hahahaha---Mr.X was having a ciggie late one night outside on the front steps. He comes back in and he tells me "Man I just saw the biggest cat ever! It was huge!" I was like it is probably a bob cat. He goes "No it wasn't a bob cat. He looked like a big house cat!" He describes it and stuff. I told him bob cat. Then he tells me "I tried calling it but it wouldn't come to me."

A few weeks later we head over to market days and there was this American Indian with stuffed bob cats. Mr. X goes that is what I saw and starts to tell him what happened the American Indian starts to laugh and tells him to becareful and stuff. So we walk away and I told him tonight when he goes back to the reservation he will name you BiglittlebrainEnglishMan.
nice.

DH called to a "dog" that was trotting down the street while he was shoveling snow one night. It turned out to be a coyote!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My son is turning into a Southerner though, he has started saying thee-ay-turr for theatre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I knew my kids went southern the first time they "yes ma'amed" me.
My girlfriend was heartbroken when her California-born children started talking like rednecks after living in Maryland for a few years.

She truly thought they were ruined forever by backwards, conservative thinking.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,849,976 times
I live in the lightening capital of the world. I am used to crazy storms with a lot of thunder and lightening. They can be very cool. However, the storm I am in right now is scary. The thunder is so hard that I can feel it in my body. This lightening is like none I have ever seen. I am getting a bit freaked out, and that has never happened to me even when I was in the middle of hurricanes. I hope it passes soon or it is going to be a long night.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,438,370 times
Hopes - glad things are looking up....

Someone was talking like a redneck living in Maryland? Where in Maryland? I graduated HS in Maryland and never even heard much of what I would call "Southern talk" (including the ma'am/sir and y'all thing)....let alone "redneck talk" And, I think (not sure though) that Maryland is usually considered a "blue" state.... But...I was in a suburb of DC so maybe elsewhere...

I'm with Mattie and Anon...I could deal with snakes/mice better than creepy crawlies...centipedes, scorpion, earwigs, silverfish........nope - the more legs, the worse it is for me....blech.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful and relaxing Friday night!

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-01-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,147,117 times
We decided to do a whole lot of nothing this weekend. Too dang hot to do anything outside. Maybe a museum visit or two. Load up the ol' Kindle and read.

Nummy, I hope the storm passes quickly,

Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Hey Dew.....sounds like us....DH wants to take a long mountain hike with Macie. I would do a short hike with him if it wasn't in the mountains on a holiday weekend. All that means in my book is more time in the car. Pass.

I have a book or two sitting in the Nook that I might get to. I also want to get to the library for a book I heard about but is not available in e-format....plus it's still cheaper to do the library thing. Although...I think it's long and although I do tend to be a fast reader (sometimes too fast..I don't remember much) I think I've funded an extra wing for our library in overdue fees....

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Has anyone read this? I saw it mentioned in the Books forum...and it looked intriguing....

Amazon.com: The Secret History (9781400031702): Donna Tartt: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.