Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 03:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Okay. I'm giggling now because I'm remembering last fall. We are there to see Rob Zombie, Korn, Lamb of God, etc and there were posters everywhere of a smiling tooth with a toothbrush.
Well that is an interesting picture!!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
There's no hope for my laptop. DS says it needs professional help---the Geeks. It's a $300 POS with a broken screen. I've had it hooked up to a monitor for the past year. Totally not worth repairing. I need to get tax info off it before April 15th next year. Definitely not in a financial situation to throw money at the Geeks at this moment with hubby still off work. Sometime between now and then I'll take it to the Geeks. Before I do that, I'll be spending my money on a new computer but not in the immediate near future.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Sorry Hopes...I know how you feel. My laptop expired about 6-8 months ago. I really do miss it. I've been getting along with my Nook (although posting is difficult - if I post on here with lots of double letters and mispellings/odd spacing you know I'm posting from that) and sharing our family computer. DH works from home a lot during the evenings though. Once DS gets back in school it will be difficult again...oh well....I just can't justify a new laptop right now. DD is hoping hers lasts the school year.
Glad you could stop in though!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:16 PM

This is going to be a hard adjustment! My son's computer is outright his, not a family computer. It's not like I can claim senority and kick him off. LOL

The way I used the computer previously was part of my day. I kept it on all day. When I would be working on something or planning something, I'd sit down briefly to do searches to find answers constantly. It was like I had an encyclopedia at my fingertips. If I needed a recipe, it was right there. If I wondered how much something cost, it was right there.

Over the past 24 hours, I've wanted to look up so many things. When I finally have access, I can't remember what I wanted to do. It's no fun when it's not spontaneous!

The change in my morning routine was nice today though. Instead of having my caffeine here on CD with you guys, I hung out on the back patio with hubby and the dogs. But hubby will be returning to work in a couple of weeks. Mountain Dew and City Data was to me what a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper is to other people!

I'll adapt....eventually!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:21 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Sorry Hopes. Was it the virus that did it in? We have friends that bring their PC over about once a year for my dh to fix because of a virus!

Know this is too late for now, but when you do get a new one, you can do backups offsite at mozy.com for free. That's what I use and it's saved Me more than once.

Last edited by WhereTheSidewalkEnds; 07-02-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Darn ipad

Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Hey all!

Sorry about your laptop Hopes. It's very frustrating, not to have the internet. Everytime I needed to do something important, ours would be off, so I know how you feel. You get so used to having anything you need to know at your fingertips.

coop - how was the Rob Zombie show? I worked with him a lot, he's a lovely lovely guy. Sent me a huge bunch of flowers once - I saved his ass on live TV, and when I got home to my studio a couple of days later, there was a big bouquet in it with a note saying "Thanks for saving my ass, Love Rob."

Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 PM

It's malware. The one that pretends it's an antivirus software. (I didn't fall for it. It took a life of it's own.) The computer isn't totally fried....yet. DS says it will be if I turn it on again and give it time to do it's damage.

I'm so mad that I didn't back up my tax crap. This isn't the first time it's happened to me throughout the years---having a computer die for one reason or another when I needed my tax info. That's what makes me so mad. I should have known better. Whenever a computer dies, that's the ONLY thing I truly need from my computer. Everything else can be replaced or is in an email somewhere.

Thanks for the mozy tip.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:46 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
coop - how was the Rob Zombie show? I worked with him a lot, he's a lovely lovely guy. Sent me a huge bunch of flowers once - I saved his ass on live TV, and when I got home to my studio a couple of days later, there was a big bouquet in it with a note saying "Thanks for saving my ass, Love Rob."
That's sweet! It was a great show - every song like a movie production. Real shock I know.... Korn followed him but it should have been the other way around as he is hard to follow.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:17 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Hi all. Haven't been around in a while so hope all is well with you guys and for those who aren't doing well, my best to you.

Hopes, sounds like you have the virus I just dealt with. I believe it is called the Windows Defender virus but I could be wrong. Neither Norton nor McAfee caught it but I did end up purchasing Spyzilla which took care of it. It was a rough week and a half though.

Also, if you are buying a new computer, DO NOT get a Lenovo laptop! I am on my second one in two years, this one being only two month old and already I am having to ship it to them for two weeks because it overheats and shuts down deleting everything. I am so sick of only being able to be for ten minutes at a time and then having to enter my user names and passwords everywhere every single time I log on. Apprarently this is a well known and common problem with the Lenovos and they are not well known for getting it fixed the first time you send it to them for two weeks. Plus, they don't have any local computer shops honor their manufacturer warranty so you have no choice but to mail it to them ( at your expense by the way) and wait and wait and wait.

Just a suggestion from me.

Happy 4th everyone. They have already started with the fireworks here and will continue for a couple of weeks until they run out so I am stuck dealing with nervous doggies. Fun fun fun.

Oh well, back to packing for me as I am moving in a week. Downsizing from a house to a townhouse and finding I have way too much stuff. I think I am this close to being a hoarder lol. How does one have over a thousand books?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
You know Fin, I'm still trying to figure out who you were with during the doorman episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting