Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I live in the Texas Hill Country. My nearest city in San Antonio. It is not too bad but when you are a one car household it is very difficult because I have to plan all appointments around Mr. X. I pray my book becomes a best seller! So I can get a second car and hire a nanny!
Who's your agent? Sadly, I just got a pass from Mollie Glick after a request for a full. (She was, at least, extremely nice about it.) I have a few more possibilities out there, so I'm crossing my fingers, but man, she would have been a dream agent. I HATE sending queries.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post

PS do any of you own a cat?

Kitty X is taking into whole scorpion swallowing! She has hairballed two up in the past few days. Normally I thought cats just play, then kill, and then eat. But she seems to be swallowing them whole like a sword swallower! I don't know what she is trying to prove and she seems fine. Scorpion not so much.
<thud>

I'm suddenly grateful ours specializes in the removal of tails from lizards, supplemented with the occasional mockingbird or citrus rat.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I guess by Californian standards, the far suburbs of DC are redneck. Not southern, redneck. She was very offended by the constant racial slurs and overall lack of politically correctness. "Blue states" are pretty much dictated by large metro areas. Pennsylvania is a blue state, but as Carville said, between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, it's all Alabama. It's subjective, she was from California---the capital of political correctness. The irony is that she is more racist than anyone I know. She's merely politically correct.
Please tell me we're not subtracting IQ points for southern accents...
<sigh>

Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It's malware. The one that pretends it's an antivirus software. (I didn't fall for it. It took a life of it's own.)
We got that one last summer...I think it has a 32 in the name of the virus? I took it to some guy who has a shop on the corner and I think he charged $75 to fix it. I didn't lose all my files.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Please tell me we're not subtracting IQ points for southern accents...
<sigh>
I'm not discussing southern accents or southern anything at all. (Did you miss that I posted "NOT southern, redneck" in my post?) Others were discussing how their transplanted children became "southern." That inspired me to share when my girlfriend realized her children were becoming "redneck." Two totally different things. The only connection was her being a parent who transplanted her children somewhere and then realized that the regional social environment had more influence on her children than her and her husband.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not discussing southern accents or southern anything at all. (Did you miss that I posted "NOT southern, redneck" in my post?) Others were discussing how their transplanted children became "southern." That inspired me to share when my girlfriend realized her children were becoming "redneck." Two totally different things. The only connection was her being a parent who transplanted her children somewhere and then realized that the regional social environment had more influence on her children than her and her husband.
I apologize, then. It happens an awful lot, so one tends to automatically go there. Too many people assume Southern = ignorant, in both the dictionary and vernacular uses of the word.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Unless it's changed again from when we were there last fall it is now Comfort Dental Amitheater. Seriously.
We have a "1-800-Ask-Gary Ampitheater". I think that sounds so dumb.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
We have a "1-800-Ask-Gary Ampitheater". I think that sounds so dumb.
You must live near me. I hate that stupid name.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Ugh. So, I got up this morning and remembered that DD was supposed to go to a birthday party at "a park" today. I had to run out and get a gift, get DD ready, etc. Then I realized that I didn't have time to do my grooming so I would have to wear jeans. That's ok. It is only for a couple of hours. I can find a tree to sit under. Grr. I am in FL in July. Jeans outside for only a couple of hours is not ok. So, I make sure to have DD wear tennis shoes so she can run around and not worry about sandals.

We get there and I am sweating my butt off. I look around the park and don't see anyone. Then I turn a corner and see a beach and everyone is on the beach. OMG. I am now at the beach for a birthday party and DD doesn't have a bathing suit. She is wearing tennis shoes and I am wearing jeans. The mom didn't think that she had to specify that it was a beach party when she told us the name of the park. What? I didn't even know there was a beach at this park. Luckily, the mom had a spare bathing suit in her car for DD.

I find a semi-shaded spot to sit in my jeans in the powdery sand (which is already everywhere). Oh. Did I forget to mention that this park just instituted paid parking? I never have cash on me, so I had to borrow $2 from my six year old to be able to park. I am thinking "It will only be a couple of hours. It will be ok." If I only knew how long we would be there.

We were there for 7 hours. The mom had to make a quick run to the store because she forgot a couple of things. Her car broke down and suddenly I am the only adult there with all of the kids in the sun and them running in and out of the water for 7 hours!

Did I forget to mention I was in JEANS in FL in July? I am so exhausted.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Oh no....sorry num....that does not sound like a fabulous day.

So...it is just DH and I today...we've weeded, cleaned, run errands and watched a movie. We had about 5 minutes of rain (about 1/2 hour of thunder) and now the sky is blue, birds are chirping etc. It's not even 7....Tomorrow he and Macie will go on a hike and I will probably go to work for a bit....DS should be home sometime in the afternoon. Monday we'll all just take it easy.

Aconite - good of you to stop in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting