Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I'll mention again that the other big thing my parents did was teach us to cheer for each other. Not to be jealous. If one member of the family achieved something special everyone shared in the victory. I did it with my own family. I really makes us closer because there's a lot less jealousy.
I truly think one of the best gifts in life is being able to be genuinely happy for someone else, and even better to be able to share that feeling with your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yeah, I don't think I compare my two, I try hard not to. They are so different anyway, and as for appearance I fail miserably at being objective about that anyway, I think they are both beautiful.

That makes my heart happy One of the perks of motherhood - we are totally allowed to fail miserably at being objective about our kids

Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm back from a lovely bout of mysterious puking
Sorry Ewag! Melba toast and 7-Up. My go-tos for any kind of nausea. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks, Dew!

Feeling better today but yesterday I was a mess! I don't recall starting with the constant heartburn and general yuckiness/insomnia this early in my last pregnancy, but apparently I have 3 more months to get used to it this time around !! Believe it or not, and despite my sometimes whining, I AM actually thrilled to be pregnant

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Hang in there Ewag. I think I hate being nauseus more than I hate pain.

And one more: Jasmine tea. You can buy it at Target I think. Or in the Asian food aisle. Years ago one of my Chinese friends told me about it and it really works. Nice, strong cup of hot Jasmine tea. (And it smells good too!) I've told this to a lot of people and all of them have come back saying "WOW! It works."

Old 07-18-2011, 10:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
It's been a not-so-good morning with the kids trying to adjust to being back home and back to the daily thing. As I'm folding the laundry, I'm thinking I'm just going to make a pile to re-pack since we're leaving for another trip in 4 days. Why bother sorting it back to their rooms and starting from scratch?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Happy 93rd Birthday Nelson Mandela. Siyabonga Tata.

Ewag - sorry you are feeling yuk. Redbush (Rooibos) tea is also great for nausea. You can get it at any grocery store and Starbucks. It's not really tea, so no caffeine.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
As I'm folding the laundry, I'm thinking I'm just going to make a pile to re-pack since we're leaving for another trip in 4 days. Why bother sorting it back to their rooms and starting from scratch?
I did that with camping and ski gear and clothes. I'd wash everything and pack it back in the appropriate duffle bags to be stored in the attic. When it was time to go away, all they had to do was grab their bag, no packing needed. This worked great for each season of camping (especially boy scouts because they go away almost every two weeks) and skiing. Each season, I'd pull everything out to make sure the right sizes were packed away and I'd start over---just washing and repacking bags. It really saves hours and hours of time!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks Zim and Dew - I'll definitely check them both out!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I did that with camping and ski gear and clothes. I'd wash everything and pack it back in the appropriate duffle bags to be stored in the attic. When it was time to go away, all they had to do was grab their bag, no packing needed. This worked great for each season of camping (especially boy scouts because they go away almost every two weeks) and skiing. Each season, I'd pull everything out to make sure the right sizes were packed away and I'd start over---just washing and repacking bags. It really saves hours and hours of time!
we have "ski bags" too. Everything is there when you need it. I'm also noticing it is about time to pass some clothes from DS8 to DS5. There isn't even any time in between now, they are so close in size. I'll do that when we get home from the trip.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
The arborist was just out to look at the trees.....aphids on the ash in front (which is pretty obvious) and the maple in back that didn't fully leaf out? He thinks it may have some kind of chemical or pesticide damage. Odd because, we don't use much except for the once yearly application of stuff to control weeds in the rocky areas. He said that wouldn't have done it - not to mention, we only applied that in the past couple of weeks and whatever this was happened months ago. I am starting to wonder if the house near us (which was undergoing renovations after a foreclosure) used the rocky area between our fence and the street as a dumping ground for something....The tree is still alive and apparently the only thing to do at this point is to ensure it is adequately watered and see what happens next year. I sure hope it's ok because it is a really nice tree which we've had for 5 years or so. Replacing it would be difficult and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting