Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you how to cure religious people coming to your door.....

Have a Halloween set up that is so huge, over the top, downright realistic that they feel you are a lost cause. I think our house got put on some sort of list. It's been wonderful.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You know what drives me crazy, I love to discuss religion with people, it's one of my favorite topics, but people coming to one's door (yes, I'm generalizing horribly);

a) Don't care what spiritual beliefs you may already have.

b) Don't respect the spiritual beliefs you already have.

c) Don't really want to have an intelligent discussion, but rather want to tell you what to believe/think/feel.

d) Won't leave.
With the very occasional exception:

A friend of mine in Baltimore ended up inviting a Mormon missionary (is that the right word?) in and having a 3 hour conversation about Buddhism, Mormonism, and the nature of religion/belief. Neither changed their stance but I believe they both enjoyed the discussion immensely. It's one of my favorite stories.

Generally speaking, people knocking on my door irritate me. I am, perhaps, a curmudgeon....

Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
With the very occasional exception:

A friend of mine in Baltimore ended up inviting a Mormon missionary (is that the right word?) in and having a 3 hour conversation about Buddhism, Mormonism, and the nature of religion/belief. Neither changed their stance but I believe they both enjoyed the discussion immensely. It's one of my favorite stories.
We have quite a few friends who are mormon, and I have wonderful discussions with them about religion and social issues. One of DS's best friends dad is a Southern Baptist preacher, and we have great discussions too. But...the door-to-door folk are not really interested in that in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Generally speaking, people knocking on my door irritate me. I am, perhaps, a curmudgeon....
No, I think it's quite normal.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I think it's time for a chicken song!

‪Little Feat - Dixie Chicken (with Emmylou Harris & Bonnie Raitt) Live 1977. HQ Video.‬‏ - YouTube

Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris look like teenagers in that video.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
We have quite a few friends who are mormon, and I have wonderful discussions with them about religion and social issues. One of DS's best friends dad is a Southern Baptist preacher, and we have great discussions too. But...the door-to-door folk are not really interested in that in my experience.

No, I think it's quite normal.
I tend to agree with you - which is why I love that story so much! It defies every expectation I would have.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:58 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
Quote:
You know what drives me crazy, I love to discuss religion with people, it's one of my favorite topics, but people coming to one's door (yes, I'm generalizing horribly);

a) Don't care what spiritual beliefs you may already have.

b) Don't respect the spiritual beliefs you already have.

c) Don't really want to have an intelligent discussion, but rather want to tell you what to believe/think/feel.

d) Won't leave.
I agree. The last time this happened to me was around a week ago. I opened the door and there were a couple of women (probably around my age) from a certain religious group at my door. I tried telling them that I wasn't interested but they kept persisting and tried to get me to convert. They even went as far as to tell me that I needed to be saved because of what I was wearing (I had on a pair of jeans and a midriff shirt that didn't even show a lot of stomach, but apparently they equated my style of dress with 'needing to be saved'). I thought it was pretty tasteless for them to come to my house and lecture me on needing to be saved. My son came over to see what the commotion was about, and I could tell right away that he was annoyed. He might only be 10 years old, but even HE can see right through them.

I'm not sure if there are actually any signs like the one you posted, Zimbo, but I'd love to buy one!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sooooooooooo HOT! The AC broke in my car! I just got back from running errands for 5-1/2 hours. In the 98 degree bright sun! In the humidity!
Sorry Hopes. With your humidity that must be awful.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I had a car with broken a/c for several years when the kids were little. I was ever so thankful we lived out here and not back in the midwest with the bugs and humidity. I was also so glad when we finally could get rid of that car and get a new one (the repair was more expensive than was practicable to fix).

DH is out of town for the night so one of my gf's if coming over later. Looking forward to spending some time with her. DS is downstairs grilling burgers for some friends. Too hot to cook tonight....I think I'll have iced tea and snap peas....maybe followed by a glass of vino later. Got some dark chocolate M&Ms (ok knock offs) too.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sooooooooooo HOT! The AC broke in my car! I just got back from running errands for 5-1/2 hours. In the 98 degree bright sun! In the humidity!
Ugh - so sorry! Hope you are currently cooling off in a large pool or bathtub full of cold water, clinking the ice in your tasty beverage.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
DH is out of town for the night so one of my gf's if coming over later. Looking forward to spending some time with her. DS is downstairs grilling burgers for some friends. Too hot to cook tonight....I think I'll have iced tea and snap peas....maybe followed by a glass of vino later. Got some dark chocolate M&Ms (ok knock offs) too.
Oh my - we need to live closer together!

DH is out of town as well. Anyone see the movie Due Date with Robert Downy Jr? My poor husband is traveling with a sales guy that's like the annoying side kick from that movie. I was laughing so hard at his stories last night. I feel so sorry for him - two days of nightmare travel partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting