Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times

Advertisements

HI!
What's up?
How's everyone?
Guess what?
I'M SO EXCITED.
Guess why?
IT'S AUGUST
And that means 24ish days from now I will be 22!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Morning all!

I ended up not doing it. Originally I thought she wanted me to just fill in maybe one day a week. Turns out, she wanted someone to work half days about every day. There was just no way. She was willing to let me have what ever hours I wanted, but that wasn't fair to HER. I just decided, since we live next door to each other and she's like our mother, it's better to not do it rather than be frustrated with the whole situation.

That's great! I'm finally getting DS to start putting things on the shopping list when he uses up the last of it. That's been the best part for us.

So in the middle of the night last night I seriously checked the thermostat app on my iPhone. Sure enough, it didn't get down to the targeted temp of 69. I keep it set at 75 during the day, but at night, I don't sleep well if it's warm and our bedroom is upstairs, so it's stuffy.

A.C. was froze up. DH determined, after reading forums, etc. at 5am this morning, that living in Colorado it's not possible to get it that cool in the house with it cool outside.

I know - I know- open the windows! But....keeping the house closed has helped DH's allergies. HE says he's fine at night with it at 72. I'M not. So windows will get opened at night.

Now if I only had an app that would automatically OPEN the windows and turn off the a.c. at the right time and vise versa......
Our AC/open windows routine can get pretty ridiculous. On a normal summer day we open windows in the morning, then close them a couple hours later. In the afternoon when the breeze kicks up, I open the windows again. But then it rains, so I have to go around and close them again. Then the sun dips below the clouds and beats into the sliding door, so we close the drapes. Then the sun goes down, so the drapes and windows are opened up again. Still, I'm glad for the evening cool down. Where I moved from, it could still be 90+ at 10pm. No thanks!

ETA 69??! That's really low. Our AC is never set below 78, and it almost never comes on over night.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
HI!
What's up?
How's everyone?
Guess what?
I'M SO EXCITED.
Guess why?
IT'S AUGUST
And that means 24ish days from now I will be 22!
oh to still get excited about birthdays. The only one I have to look forward to is the one that gets me a senior discount.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
AC wars occur here too. DH keeps it at 72 or so upstairs, and then I open the window next to my side of the bed, every single night. I just need fresh air to sleep. Last night it WAS close to 90 when I finally went to sleep. Between the AC, the ceiling fans, and my open window it wasn't too bad. The electric bill, on the other hand, is a definite ouch.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Good Morning All!

We set our thermostat to 80 at night otherwise it would be mucho $$. 72 in the day. All the bedrooms have ceiling fans though.

I don't care much about birthdays. Truth be told I can never remember how old I am, sometimes I have to work it out. I know, it sounds truly pathetic. With the big 50 looming, at least it will be easier to remember.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
AC wars occur here too. DH keeps it at 72 or so upstairs, and then I open the window next to my side of the bed, every single night. I just need fresh air to sleep. Last night it WAS close to 90 when I finally went to sleep. Between the AC, the ceiling fans, and my open window it wasn't too bad. The electric bill, on the other hand, is a definite ouch.
well ya, with the window open and the AC on! I'm constantly yelling at the kids not to leave the slider open when the Ac is on. I'll just send them to your house.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
ETA 69??! That's really low. Our AC is never set below 78, and it almost never comes on over night.
lol! I know.... the problem is our bedroom is upstairs and hot. So a 69 setting really means 74 or so upstairs.

There have been years when we have never turned the a.c. on and we've just suffered - it takes a long time for the upstairs to cool at night, even if it gets down in the 50's. I guess I'm just getting old and hormonal and can't tolerate it like I used to.

Mattie - my DH this morning suggested putting a fan with an ice block on it pointed directly on me at night to cool me off! He's usually the warm blooded one, so obviously the problem is me!

So, windows open now. I'll close them soon and turn the a.c. on. Then open them up later. rkb - you are right though - it's a pain. Especially if it rains.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 AM

our current house is our fist 2-story. It is so stuffy upstairs! It's like walking into a wall of heat going up the stairs. I do hate that. DH installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms our first week here.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
rkb and jk....do you have whole house fans? I keep the a/c at 76 or so and windows and blinds closed during the day then in the evenings when thingss cool off and when we go upstairs to bed we open windows and turn on the attic fan. It pulls out all the hot stuffy air and pulls in the fresh cooler air. It's great - although if someone is having allergy issues we avoid it ...

LOl Zimbo about birthdays - I'm the same - never remember how old I am...

Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 AM

no whole house fan. I finally bought a box fan for an upstairs window to blow the cool air in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting