Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No....I remember that you mentioned you'd be starting in April....Are you excited? Nervous? Both?
Both! I am more anxious for the little things. Like do I get there right at 8:30? 10 minutes early? 5 minutes early? What color top should I wear under my jacket the first day? Lots of little things.

First day is an orientation so it should be fun!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We had a pretty big wedding. There were about 275 people there. When we planned it why did it not occur to me that I hate, more than anything, standing in front of people and talking? That fact occurred to me as I was about to walk down the aisle.
OMG - that is big. I'm thinking we had about 120? Well somewhere around there. I don't really remember. Oh...and the sisters didn't end up coming. Although one said she didn't get an invitation (like I'd only send invitations to 2 out of the 3 sisters, none of whom was speaking to DH but they were all speaking to each other). One actually apologized, years later for not coming. Which I thought really took courage. It was all water under the bridge by then anyway and for her to bring up something that had happened years before in an effort to extend a courtesy was very thoughtful on her part.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Both! I am more anxious for the little things. Like do I get there right at 8:30? 10 minutes early? 5 minutes early? What color top should I wear under my jacket the first day? Lots of little things.

First day is an orientation so it should be fun!
Yay for you! Enjoy and have fun....

ps...I'd go for being there a bit early...but I'm a horrible time freak anyway.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
10 minutes early.

You'd better know the answer to the wardrobe question. Afterall, it's your speciality!

Congrats! What type of job is it?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Morning all!

I missed an interesting chat... we had lovely weather yesterday and dd was out in the yard making mud pies. I had a whole day of changing clothes and washing mud off her and all my measuring jugs and cups. She had a great time. Wore me out, though.

I would be useless in the wedding etiquette dept. I was five months pregnant and wore this dress, for starters.

My maid of honor and I got a taxi to the restaurant that we had the ceremony/reception at. Our gay friend Bob (RIP) who was bald and had a one of those curly waxed mustaches walked me down the aisle. I planned it 3 weeks in advance, so no-one had time to argue about anything. We had a sit down lunch with a cupcake wedding cake for family and some close friends, then the rest of our friends joined us at the dive bar (my MIL was mortified) where we met and we had a party there (well they did. I mostly sat in booth drinking soda with lime because my feet hurt and obviously I wasn't imbibing for two).

We had a one night honeymoon in a suite at the Renaissance across the street (around the corner from our house) and then drove to Malibu the next day and had lunch at Moonshadows (the place that Mel Gibson had his hissy fit before getting arrested) and went home and opened presents.

It was fabulous!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Love your story, Finster! Thanks for sharing!

Love that your MIL was moritifed by the dive bar reception. I'm sure you've broken her in after all these years!

I wish I could see the picture of your wedding dress. It didnt come through. Can you post a link instead?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I have a MIL-zilla, and have stayed away from that thread because I have a pretty good MIL-zilla radar, and I don't need flash-backs! Before we were married I think even my breathing irritated my MIL. She has said the worst things imagineable to and about me, but I always took the high road. Of course she is apologetic now, but you can NEVER take back spoken words. I have moved on, but I will never forget. We completely financially support her now too, which irks me no end, but it's the right thing to do.

I realized when we were planning the wedding (that my DH and I paid for as both the parents were retired and DH's parents were/are indigent) that unless we did everything exactly the way she wanted she would be unhappy. I was correct, but we didn't care, and we will always treasure memories of a wonderful wedding that we wanted and enjoyed. My mom, sister and I made the dress, my sister and I did the flowers, my mom and aunt did the cake, etc. My only concession to my MIL was inviting people she wanted who we didn't know, and adding a (short) prayer and blessing into the ceremony.

I have vowed, because of my experiences, to be the best in law possible, because I never want people who love my kids to have to go through all that nonsense.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Sounds like a fun time Finster, and good memories, and that's all that counts.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have a MIL-zilla, and have stayed away from that thread because I have a pretty good MIL-zilla radar, and I don't need flash-backs! Before we were married I think even my breathing irritated my MIL. She has said the worst things imagineable to and about me, but I always took the high road. Of course she is apologetic now, but you can NEVER take back spoken words. I have moved on, but I will never forget. We completely financially support her now too, which irks me no end, but it's the right thing to do.

I realized when we were planning the wedding (that my DH and I paid for as both the parents were retired and DH's parents were/are indigent) that unless we did everything exactly the way she wanted she would be unhappy. I was correct, but we didn't care, and we will always treasure memories of a wonderful wedding that we wanted and enjoyed. My mom, sister and I made the dress, my sister and I did the flowers, my mom and aunt did the cake, etc. My only concession to my MIL was inviting people she wanted who we didn't know, and adding a (short) prayer and blessing into the ceremony.

I have vowed, because of my experiences, to be the best in law possible, because I never want people who love my kids to have to go through all that nonsense.
I had the same MIL-zilla for the short time I was married. Pure evil, that woman. Then she realized her son was the problem and all of a sudden loved me.

I think I am lucky that I have been prepped for my sons getting married in the sense that they have lived on their own for a while. They both live in different states and live their lives the way they see fit. I offer advice when they ask but really, whatever they are doing is none of my business. Far cry from when they lived at home and every breath they took was my business

I hope I don't ever overstep my bounds or interfere, but knowing them, I am sure they will let me know as soon as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting