Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

We are toying with the idea of going to the Festival In The Desert in Mali, either 2012, or 2013. Anyway, what made me giggle is the description of the accommodation:

The Full Board includes:
  • 3 meals per day for 3 days
  • A sleeping place in a tuareg tent for 3 days
  • 3 Liters of water per day for 3 days
Please note that you will need to bring your sleeping bag.

Festival au Désert - 12, 13, 14 January 2012

Old 08-13-2011, 06:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Zimbo that looks very cool!

Re the weeding....sigh....my problem is that my we've changed the landscape in our yard a few times...and we have some areas that are taking some time to fill in with groundcover so they have patches of dirt - which of course attract weeds....it won't be too bad once it fills in..but because I was trying to be frugal and not buy a bunch of stuff at once; letting things spread and then breaking apart what I could and transplanting...it's taking awhile. Then I made the mistake of putting the darn thistle seeds in a finch feeder because I enjoyed the goldfinches, so of course, I have that horrible, prickly thistle growing everywhere. The weeding I have is not nearly as bad as it used to be. It's just been so hot I probably haven't been out there in a month....rkb - I have a bunch of daylillies also. Love them, love the lack of TLC they can get by with.

So, went to see Cowboys vs. Aliens this afternoon. Let me just say, that Daniel Craig can ride up to my house, wearing a leather hat and chaps pretty much anytime he wants to. I would not turn him out on the streets.

Dinner is done and cleaned up. Having a little Pinot Grigio right now....

Old 08-13-2011, 06:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We are toying with the idea of going to the Festival In The Desert in Mali, either 2012, or 2013. Anyway, what made me giggle is the description of the accommodation:

The Full Board includes:
  • 3 meals per day for 3 days
  • A sleeping place in a tuareg tent for 3 days
  • 3 Liters of water per day for 3 days
Please note that you will need to bring your sleeping bag.

Festival au Désert - 12, 13, 14 January 2012
That's funny- but also sounds like a lot of fun...

So, I was sitting down to watch some TV early this morning and found 5 episodes of "The Colbert Report" on my DVR. DS (11) informed me that he records it every night and watches it the next day. Ummmmmm....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
That's funny- but also sounds like a lot of fun...

So, I was sitting down to watch some TV early this morning and found 5 episodes of "The Colbert Report" on my DVR. DS (11) informed me that he records it every night and watches it the next day. Ummmmmm....
smart kid! (as long as he knows its a joke!)

Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
How is the newly wed couple?
Bah, who knows? We don't hear from DS often, and never from her. DH has decided we should take a road trip this fall (not to Mali!) visit eldest and then swing through the two college towns. I have no expectations of the newlyweds coming to see us, so if we want to see them, we'll have to just show up. My mother asked why she hasn't gotten a thank you for her wedding gift. Sigh. I have no idea. DS works a lot, the bride doesn't work at all, but she is applying to med school for 2012. They did put their house on the market, but I only know that because I found it on the MLS. Like I said, we don't hear from them. I have kind of hardened my heart as far as they are concerned. I can't put any more work into them.

Zim, you lead a much more exciting life than I do! We just decided not to go to our usual St. Martin haunt because of robberies on the beach near where we stay.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Bah, who knows? We don't hear from DS often, and never from her. DH has decided we should take a road trip this fall (not to Mali!) visit eldest and then swing through the two college towns. I have no expectations of the newlyweds coming to see us, so if we want to see them, we'll have to just show up. My mother asked why she hasn't gotten a thank you for her wedding gift. Sigh. I have no idea. DS works a lot, the bride doesn't work at all, but she is applying to med school for 2012. They did put their house on the market, but I only know that because I found it on the MLS. Like I said, we don't hear from them. I have kind of hardened my heart as far as they are concerned. I can't put any more work into them.

Zim, you lead a much more exciting life than I do! We just decided not to go to our usual St. Martin haunt because of robberies on the beach near where we stay.
please call first, at least. My in-laws used to call when they were 5 minutes from the house. Don't be that mom! I'm sorry they don't keep you in the loop. That must be tough.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
please call first, at least. My in-laws used to call when they were 5 minutes from the house. Don't be that mom! I'm sorry they don't keep you in the loop. That must be tough.
I didn't mean just show up as in, "surprise!" Really, it means we will have to make the effort, and the drive. DS already suggested that we come up. We won't stay with them either, we'll get a hotel.

Sorry, I'm in a Debbie Downer mood tonight. I miss the kids, and it's been less than 24 hours. Maybe I'll get another dog, lol.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
That'll be me next year Mattie. I'm a little sad just thinking about it....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:58 PM

I wonder how sad I'll be when they move out. At his point in life, I almost look forward to it! Even now I miss them when they aren't around though. It is hard to imagine them not living here.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We don't get to do too much any more, not as much as we used to. Darned kids . St. Martin is just beautiful. Is the crime widespread now? We used to go there too, but more frequently went to the tiny island next door called Saba. Pure heaven. We used to dive there, it was paradise. Total population 1,400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting