Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times

Advertisements

BTW - I've started figuring out that some of the things I've been doing that I thought were to save money might not be worth it!

For example - I make all our bread except sandwich bread (which I occasionally do).

Well, last week, because of DS's orthopedic appointment, I couldn't make the bread for the brushetta I wanted to do, because it takes 3 risings. So I went to the bakery at the grocery store to get a baguette - I stood there looking at the price thinking it couldn't be right - $1.89 for a really big loaf.

If I'm saving anything it's just pennies. I still make it myself, but don't feel bad about getting it at the store either.

Cheap wine isn't worth it either

Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good for you Mattie! I've actally been making big bars out of hotel soaps for years, lol. Lately I've been thankful I listened to all my parents' Depression stories.

(Never toss out the cotton that's in the top of a bottle of pills. Save it to remove fingernail polish. I've got a couple hundred "How To Be Poor" tips to share!)
I'd love to hear them!

We can have our own frugal section right here.

I like the idea of saving the cotton. Never thought of that.

I do save all wine corks for cat toys! They love playing with them and they don't scratch the floor.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Seriously txt if I was to post what I felt I would be banned here. MM's daughter is having surgery tomorrow, ALL of us are suffering under the economy, and you are whining about someone putting free cable in your room, and being so inconsiderate as to do your laundry for you. You are going to get absolutely no sympathy here for your self-centered pity-parties. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are smart, healthy, young, able-bodied, capable, and so far appear to be a huge big loser. Your life will not change until you make the changes. To make the changes you actually have to DO SOMETHING. Appreciate that you have free accommodation, and all that comes with something as generous as that, and make a very concerted effort to find a job. That means you get up early and go to businesses, make calls, whatever it takes.

The whining has to to stop. Now. Seriously.
Oh my God.

Marry me, Zim.

Seriously, Txt. People here have sick children, disabled children, children who have far more challenges in one week than you have had in the time I've posted on CD. And I'll tell you right now that all four of mine together-- including the one who is PMSing and thirteen years old-- are not anywhere near as whiny as you are. You have been gifted with a lot of things in your life, and if one thing isn't exactly the way you want it, you blow a gasket. Seriously, girl, get it together. It cannot possibly be any fun being you right now.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Cheap wine isn't worth it either
One cheap wine I like: Corbet Canyon. (Though I recommeded it to MM and she never got back to me, lol.)

Went to Target this morning. They are re-arranging to build a bigger food section. Which resulted in fewer "Clearance" shelves at the end of the aisle. I can usually spend an hour just checking out all the stuff they put on those shelves.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Quote:
Let me join you:
Me too!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Oh my God.

Marry me, Zim.
Hehe! I'm taking applications, but it all depends on the dowry!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
One cheap wine I like: Corbet Canyon. (Though I recommeded it to MM and she never got back to me, lol.)
We've had that and we do like it.

I was thinking along the lines of the Two Buck Chuck..... we had a friend that would go all the way down to Santa Fe a couple times a year and bring home a few cases (we don't have Trader Joes in Colorado). After about a case - I could never drink that stuff again. Yuck.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
We can have our own frugal section right here.
We should! All of us must have lots of tips.

My parents both grew up dirt poor, poverty stricken. I actually know how to darn socks.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of the Two Buck Chuck..... we had a friend that would go all the way down to Santa Fe a couple times a year and bring home a few cases (we don't have Trader Joes in Colorado). After about a case - I could never drink that stuff again. Yuck.
My sister has gallons of their Merlot in her garage. I'm sure I've complained about it already, lol. I swear I could use it as paint remover.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
My parents both grew up dirt poor, poverty stricken. I actually know how to darn socks.
I'm sure there is a better way to do that than what I do - which leaves a knot of thread on the sock.

I have a jar of lost buttons - have had it for YEARS. What I can't figure out is - I find buttons, but no one complains buttons are missing....???? So the jars keeps growing. I loved my grandmother's button container growing up. There were some amazing buttons in there! Like little pieces of art work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting