Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Is that accidental or incidental tomatoes?

Talking football, I don't understand the fiasco brewing about Miami? Isn't it a widely recognized fact that players are attracted with incentives/bribes/booty or whatever? Why are they being so coy about it now?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't get me wrong, I made some good friends last year and we still get together regularly. I also enjoyed the diverse little groups we formed in each class. We even went out to celebate at a bar after class in the fall term---some were as old as me and some weren't old enough to drink.

My main problem is that I'm also going to school with my son's former classmates. His high school graduating class started college last year---the same year I returned to school. So, I have these kids who know my son who are following me around like I'm their mother hen. It's great they like me but it's different than becoming close aquaintences with the other young people who do not know me as a mother figure.

One young man followed me from a fall class to a spring class. He even called the professor for special permission because the class was full. I didn't mind that in itself, but he is addicted to pills and his addiction became more obvious to others during spring term. Wherever I sat in class, he'd walk in and sit next to me (he was always late). People actually thought he was my son---which made me really uncomfortable.

I didn't want to be rude to him. I wasn't. I simply endured it. What else could I do? I treated him with respect, helped him with classwork whenever he would ask for help. A couple times, I did try to talk with him about his pill usage. It's such a waste of a life. He's so bright and so driven. I have no idea how he is balancing it all with an addiction.

These aren't even kids who were close friends of my son. The worse part is now the next high school graduating class will be starting school this fall---the kids who would have been a grade below my son, like TK. This means there will be MORE OF THEM than last year.

Next Fall. I hoped to start in January, but I will be short two classes after this term. I'll need to take those in the spring.
Oy vey - having your kid's friends/acquaintances in class must add a whole new layer of "worlds colliding" stress. I can totally see it being weird to be seen in mother hen role when you're trying to be in student role. And holy cow re: the addicted kid following you around - that sounds really awkward. You are a very nice person to try to help him out.

Well, I hope you at least get some good classes between now and next fall! Make me jealous - what are you taking??

Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
LOL! That was really funny.

I have a tomato plant growing out of my concrete steps of my back porch.
We had one growing out between the stone pavers in our patio. DH was upset that I pulled it out. I told him it would never produce any tomatoes. Let me know if I'm wrong FR, not that I'd ever admit that to him. I figured the seeds had to come from the hind quarters of some animal, and I wasn't really interested in my tomatoes being quite that organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Is that accidental or incidental tomatoes?

Talking football, I don't understand the fiasco brewing about Miami? Isn't it a widely recognized fact that players are attracted with incentives/bribes/booty or whatever? Why are they being so coy about it now?
A yup. DS eldest went to Miami. He was on the co-ed cheer squad for football and basketball. The perks even for them were unbelievable.

MM, sending positive thoughts your way today. May the cafeteria coffee be drinkable, the surgery successful, and the recovery uneventful.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We had one growing out between the stone pavers in our patio. DH was upset that I pulled it out. I told him it would never produce any tomatoes. Let me know if I'm wrong FR, not that I'd ever admit that to him. I figured the seeds had to come from the hind quarters of some animal, and I wasn't really interested in my tomatoes being quite that organic.
Oh dear. I never thought of that. But I'm sure the seeds have come from MissFR eating tomatoes in the garden. Sure, yes - absolutely.

I'll have to leave it now to see how it goes. By the look of the leaves, it's one of the heirlooms. Which are 7 feet tall. Should get interesting!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Did anyone see Anderson Cooper's giggle-fit last night? Poor bloke, at least he has been laughing at his own silliness all morning on Twitter. The giggles start at about 2:30.

CNN: Gerard Depardieu on Anderson Cooper's Ridiculist - YouTube

Men and potty humor!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Did anyone see Anderson Cooper's giggle-fit last night? Poor bloke, at least he has been laughing at his own silliness all morning on Twitter. The giggles start at about 2:30.

Men and potty humor!
Ok. I challenge anyone not to laugh while watching that. He has a particularly contagious giggle.

You are in fine form today Zim.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Well, I hope you at least get some good classes between now and next fall! Make me jealous - what are you taking??
Just got back. My schedule is fantastic---just two mornings a week. That frees up time to work part-time if necessary.

This term the classes are mostly legal---business law, labor negotiations, etc. It will be my most interesting term. I love law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I told him it would never produce any tomatoes. Let me know if I'm wrong FR, not that I'd ever admit that to him.
Quote:
Oh dear. I never thought of that. But I'm sure the seeds have come from MissFR eating tomatoes in the garden. Sure, yes - absolutely.

I'll have to leave it now to see how it goes. By the look of the leaves, it's one of the heirlooms. Which are 7 feet tall. Should get interesting!
They'll definitely produce tomatos if they started growing early enough in the season. We always get "wild" tomato plants in random places. They're usually our best tomato plants because they were resiliet enough to find grow in those strange places.

In our old garden bed we had years ago, I loved how we would get tomato plants by merely turning the soil, without having to plant any seeds. The trick is to leave some tomatoes on the vine to rot each year. Just turn the soil and they start growing the following year.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Ok. I challenge anyone not to laugh while watching that. He has a particularly contagious giggle.

You are in fine form today Zim.
It's a cute, infectious giggle.

I need to take my mind off stupid beginning of the year momsense going on at school. Gak!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:59 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
I need to take my mind off stupid beginning of the year momsense going on at school. Gak!
I never did well with the "politics" of sorts that goes on at school. Thankfully I got away from most of it once DS started middle school.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
So many bathroom puns, I admit to laughing along. You are right Zim, men do love their potty humor.
Has Anderson Cooper ever come out as gay? Not that it has anything to do with this, but I have heard that's the case. Sigh, he's a good looking man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting