Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I never did well with the "politics" of sorts that goes on at school. Thankfully I got away from most of it once DS started middle school.
We got a call this morning. One of the parent's in DS's 5th grade class wanted an urgent parent meeting. Only a few people could make it, but Little Suzy brought cupcakes to school yesterday, and Little Johnny couldn't have one due to allergies, so his mommy felt badly that he was left out, and wanted all the parents to familiarize themselves with his allergies so they could choose food accordingly. What she didn't know, and what I didn't even know is that my DS read the ingredients, and determined it wasn't safe, so didn't have one either, but went about his business, and it wasn't important enough to mention to me. So she was pretty much SOL, and she wasn't happy.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So many bathroom puns, I admit to laughing along. You are right Zim, men do love their potty humor.
Has Anderson Cooper ever come out as gay? Not that it has anything to do with this, but I have heard that's the case. Sigh, he's a good looking man.
I'd always assumed he was, but I don't think he's out. Mind you, that giggle pretty much pushes him out. Just sayin'.......

Old 08-18-2011, 02:16 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We got a call this morning. One of the parent's in DS's 5th grade class wanted an urgent parent meeting. Only a few people could make it, but Little Suzy brought cupcakes to school yesterday, and Little Johnny couldn't have one due to allergies, so his mommy felt badly that he was left out, and wanted all the parents to familiarize themselves with his allergies so they could choose food accordingly. What she didn't know, and what I didn't even know is that my DS read the ingredients, and determined it wasn't safe, so didn't have one either, but went about his business, and it wasn't important enough to mention to me. So she was pretty much SOL, and she wasn't happy.
Okay - you got your hands full And school just started!

I can't believe that by 5th grade, a mom is making a big deal out of the fact that her son didn't get a cupcake.

Your son has a good head on his shoulders Zim!!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I can't believe that by 5th grade, a mom is making a big deal out of the fact that her son didn't get a cupcake.

The thing is by 5th grade if your kid doesn't have total control of their own food allergies, you are playing Russian Roulette. Some parents just don't get that.

I suspect it's going to be a long year.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The thing is by 5th grade if your kid doesn't have total control of their own food allergies, you are playing Russian Roulette. Some parents just don't get that.

I suspect it's going to be a long year.
What's she going to do when he gets to middle school and she can't control everyone?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
I'd always assumed he was, but I don't think he's out. Mind you, that giggle pretty much pushes him out. Just sayin'.......
Oh yeah, he's out. Been out for quite a while, I think. I love him, he's totally adorable. I just want to squish him.

How come you can raise your kid to be sensible about allergies and others seem to have to have a complete meltdown about it? Huh, huh? That's what I'd like to know.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I just want to squish him.

He is adorable. And that was very much a girly giggle - which made it even funnier.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just got back. My schedule is fantastic---just two mornings a week. That frees up time to work part-time if necessary.

This term the classes are mostly legal---business law, labor negotiations, etc. It will be my most interesting term. I love law.
Oh, neat! Not at all my area, but I'm glad you're excited! And that is an awesome schedule.

Quote:

I was just thinking the same thing, coop! Good job, Son of Zim!

I know I shouldn't by shocked by parent behavior like this, but I always am. I mean, people don't get smart just because they happened to have kids around when we did, but you'd think just a teensy bit of common sense would develop over the years??

Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Did I miss MM checking in to say all is well?

Today's frugal tip: By law, pets only need to be vaccinated for rabies. Last year I told the vet I only wanted what was required by law, and was told they needed rabies and distemper. Today my equally frugal neighbor went, and was told that by law, her pets needed rabies, distemper and a fecal test. Instead of paying $25.00 for rabies, she paid $100.00 for everything they told her she had to. So, she called me. I found the state law, and it was the same as the county. I also found an article that said 95% of dogs have lifetime immunity from heartworm after getting their puppy vaccinations. That makes sense to me. We don't give our kids booster shots for every disease yearly.

I am getting a reputation for refusing to conform, and it feels kind of good.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Statistically the incidence of severe reaction and mortality increases dramatically once the kids reach 15-ish. They start taking more risks, and are influenced by peers, so they absolutely have a handle on it by then.

Mine is not a popular opinion among allergy parents. As far as I am concerned the greatest tool in DS's fight against allergies is his brain, apparently most people think it's sanitizing the environment. As the incidence of food allergies increase we'll have to see what happens. I may have to start my very own revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting