Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Hey FR - good news: we've been downgraded from hurricane warning to tropical storm warning. Still pretty high winds and risk of flooding, but beats the heck out of a hurricane, right?
Yes, for sure. Except where I am it's still a hurricane warning. I reckon I'm straddling the line a bit, being in Philadelphia County but actually being nearer to Montco than Center City. I'd imagine it's going to be more tropical storm like than hurricane like though.

Don't take my peanut butter!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
Sorry the hurricane tips are coming in spurts. This is all stuff I just know, so I forget to mention it.

If you have any important documents in your home (including your homeowners ins documents) put them in ziplock bags and keep with your emergency evacuation pack.

Have a backpack filled with some changes of clothes, important docs, medications, etc. Even after the storm is over, storm surge could come in and flood. Having a backpack that you can just throw on your back will make it easier to get out quickly if you need to.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, for sure. Except where I am it's still a hurricane warning. I reckon I'm straddling the line a bit, being in Philadelphia County but actually being nearer to Montco than Center City. I'd imagine it's going to be more tropical storm like than hurricane like though.

Don't take my peanut butter!
Oh, boo! It's crazy that just a few miles can make that much of a difference!

I'll race you for the PB...

Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Ok, this is so cute I had to share:

So DS has been all about baby sister, giving the tummy kisses and hugs, etc. He just walked into the kitchen, lifted up his shirt and rubbed his tummy saying "baby." I explained the baby is in my tummy and he replied "No, mommy, MY turn." So now I'm trying not to crack up while I explain. Eventually he came to the compromise position that there are "TWO babies" - one in my tummy and one in his. Something tells me the "where babies come from" talk is going to be a looooooooong process!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Good morning, MWR.

Hope everyone's aches and pains have gone.

Eek, I have to profess I'm a bit nervous about Madame Irene. We're not going to have the center over us, but it does look like we're going to take a direct hit from the outer bands. We're under a hurricane warning now. Got to go bring all the lawn furniture and the umbrella in, I'm going to get all my plants that are in pots and bring them in - go to the store and get batteries and all that other stuff, and a car charger for the iPad - which might just end up being the best thing ever if the power goes out, which is looking quite likely. Aaargh I just restocked my freezer after losing all our food when the fridge went out a couple of weeks ago. I'm worried our basement is going to flood, so I'm going to have to put all the stuff up off the floor.

When we were living in Big Bear we had 5 feet of snow in one night and the power went out for 5 days - there was a UPS truck stuck on our street and we couldn't get out and go anywhere either. That was fun! And it was cold too. So we ended up burning old clothes in our fireplace when we ran out of wood. Don't fancy going through that again, although we're not isolated up on a mountainside this time, at least we'll have neighbors and stuff.

Of course it could all just fizzle out and not be much of an event, but it doesn't look like it.
The thing to remember with hurricanes is that unless you have one of the major anchors from The Weather Channel in your town, you're probably going to be okay. (Jim Cantore is the kiss of death-- expect power outages and downed trees, at least.)
Seriously, by the time Irene gets up toward New Jersey and Pennsylvania the National Weather Service is predicting Category 1. As hurricanes go, that's not so bad. We didn't even lose power with any of the Cat 1s I can remember. During Jeanne, I sat in the sun room and watched my neighbors' trees sway and listened to the rain. Our cable didn't even go out. (If you live near a police station or a hospital, you're probably going to get your power back pretty quickly even if it does go out.)
Whether or not you get flooding depends on whether you normally flood in heavy thunderstorms. And how close to the beach you are, and if it comes at high or low tide.
Best advice: if you boarded up windows, be careful taking the boards down. One of our neighbors found a snake in between the board and his window after Frances. Snakes like to stay dry, too.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Ok, this is so cute I had to share:

So DS has been all about baby sister, giving the tummy kisses and hugs, etc. He just walked into the kitchen, lifted up his shirt and rubbed his tummy saying "baby." I explained the baby is in my tummy and he replied "No, mommy, MY turn." So now I'm trying not to crack up while I explain. Eventually he came to the compromise position that there are "TWO babies" - one in my tummy and one in his. Something tells me the "where babies come from" talk is going to be a looooooooong process!
Oh he just sounds like the most adorable little dude. Yay LittleSirEwag!

I have one - the other day we went to the thrift store to buy shirts for painting. MissFR was having a riot trying on high heeled shoes. We calmed her down, but she was still a bit hyper. MrFR looked at her and said "If you don't stop doing that, I'm going to lose my mind" she looked at him without any guile whatsoever and said "What mind, Daddy?".

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Oh he just sounds like the most adorable little dude. Yay LittleSirEwag!

I have one - the other day we went to the thrift store to buy shirts for painting. MissFR was having a riot trying on high heeled shoes. We calmed her down, but she was still a bit hyper. MrFR looked at her and said "If you don't stop doing that, I'm going to lose my mind" she looked at him without any guile whatsoever and said "What mind, Daddy?".
Hahahahahaha! Oh, that's awesome! Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff??

Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Oh, boo! It's crazy that just a few miles can make that much of a difference!
In a hurricane a few blocks can do it. We're on pretty high ground, but a neighborhood about three blocks from here is notorious for flooding in just a good hard rain. Where we lived when Manchild and Young Miss Aconite were small, just two houses down from us was significantly lower than our house.

When moving to a coastal area, always look for a house uphill, and on the same grid as a shelter or emergency services provider.

And on a completely different note, I'm thinking that Little Sir Ewag and MissFR need to meet. Maybe an arranged marriage in about 20-25 years?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
very cute ewag and fr!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Those stories are adorable - makes me miss having one that age. It's like a perfect age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.