Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,934,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Heading out to take DS to the Dr. - hurt his shoulder playing lacrosse...he put a BIG hit on someone Friday night (which is kinda surprising - he isn't a really big guy 5'10 145 maybe?) and it's been sore ever since. Last night he hurt it again during a routine face off and the trainer wants his rotator cuff checked out....fingers crossed....

Then it's off to work! Exciting day .... LOL

Chilly and overcast here today...hoping for rain.
Hope he's okay and just a little resting it is all required.

BTW - it won't rain today. I know this because I put up all my outdoor cushions and covered the rest. I prepared, so it won't happen.

Now maybe if I go wash the car....it will then rain for sure.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Hope he's okay and just a little resting it is all required.

BTW - it won't rain today. I know this because I put up all my outdoor cushions and covered the rest. I prepared, so it won't happen.

Now maybe if I go wash the car....it will then rain for sure.
Yep - Dr. doesn't think anything is torn. Just needs to rest it for the rest of the week....Plus - apparently I had a credit there that covered my copay....not sure how that happened but I'll take it...

Yeah...not guessing it will rain....maybe if we both wash our cars?

Oh - and the sprinkler fix was cheap and easy too. Just a plastic piece needed to be replaced. No soldering involved! AND, it looks like the leaking humidifier just needed a new hose. Going on 2 days with no leaking. Hoping that continues.

Starting to think I should play the lottery tonight.

Niece sounds like that could make for an "interesting" summer...yikes. How do you get to that age without having any responsibilities?

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Glad your DS is OK, mm.

It's a beautiful day here in the Mayberry of the Southwest. Except fot the bees swarming across the road. Not good.

I saw my first gekko of the year so warm weather is here. And the people across the street have put bunny hats on their cacti. My bunny wind-sock is rather uninspired by comparison.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Niece sounds like that could make for an "interesting" summer...yikes. How do you get to that age without having any responsibilities?
She dropped out of college. And it hasn't helped that they have enabled certain behaviors and are now so tired of the situation, they are washing their hands of it. She is living with her brother right now, and boyfriend is paying for stuff. Plus she somehow got another student loan to take online classes.

I haven't heard back from her after asking what the plan was - to come and get a job or stay for a week or so. I know what the plan was though. Come and hang out. So I'm sure if she realizes we would require her to get a job, she won't come.

There is no way she will be allowed to come and "hang out" when our 17 year old is working all summer. No way.

My sweet, kind hearted DH thinks maybe we should help her get a fresh start and just set expectations. The thing is, she's not asking to come live for a fresh start. She's asking to come for the summer.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,376,368 times
Quote:
My sweet, kind hearted DH thinks maybe we should help her get a fresh start and just set expectations. The thing is, she's not asking to come live for a fresh start. She's asking to come for the summer.
LOL - My DH would be just like that! It does sound like she's probably worn out her welcome where she is and is just checking her alternatives. Good for you for making it clear by your wording that she's welcome to come for a short visit or to actually look for work. Your house is a "no loitering" zone!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
Quote:
Morning all.

So I've got a 22 year old niece, who has never held a job for more than a couple of months, zero money, etc. (you get the picture), asking about coming up here for the summer. My gut says this is a bad, bad idea. I asked her what her plan was - find a job, just hang out.

Ugh. Got a feeling I'm going to end up being a huge meanie with this one.
maybe you could let her live with you IF she finds a summer job in the area.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
maybe you could let her live with you IF she finds a summer job in the area.
Well, she responded back to me that her plan was to find a job. Sigh.... other issue is where to put her. We can put her in the basement, but that's where the whole family entertainment is as well. Also the fact that it could take her all summer to find a job. We can't exactly support her.

I'm going to email her back, being really clear about my concerns and ask her how she plans to support herself until she finds a job.

Also need to talk to DS and find out how he feels about it.

Really conflicted about this.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
I'm a little worried.

I came home from class and my son is not here. No note. Nothing.

Everything in his world is here---his cell phone, his ipod, his money---everything.

There's evidence he recently showered and dressed---the towel is still wet, his drawers are open, the clothes he was wearing when I left are on the floor.

There are no new calls or texts on his cell phone to provide a clue.

I'm worried because all of this this is unusual (no note, his stuff all still here) and he has been depressed late.

And I have to leave for class in a half hour. I won't be back until after 9:30.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
I hope everything is ok! Thinking of you!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Quote:
Well, she responded back to me that her plan was to find a job. Sigh.... other issue is where to put her. We can put her in the basement, but that's where the whole family entertainment is as well. Also the fact that it could take her all summer to find a job. We can't exactly support her.

I'm going to email her back, being really clear about my concerns and ask her how she plans to support herself until she finds a job.

Also need to talk to DS and find out how he feels about it.

Really conflicted about this.
Which side of the family is she from? How far away does she live from you?

It's strange that she's willing to leave her boyfriend to live with you for the summer.

It will be interesting to hear her response to your asking her how she plans to support herself until she finds a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.