U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,512,216 times

Advertisements

We are not sports watchers - so that helps. That being said, xbox cut a deal with ESPN. So if someone has an xbox 360 and the xbox live subscription, there is nothing that can't be watched.

I've known some people to go out and get a used xbox for that purpose.

I've got two computer geeks in the house. The extent they have gone to in order to watch shows via the internet through the big screen.....but it is nice.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 AM

21,163 posts, read 22,168,168 times
DH loves loves loves to watch TV. And movies. Good movies, bad movies, teen movies. Doesn't care. He'll watch anything. Which is why I don't have premium channels. We are at opposite extremes when it comes to TV....We got the big TV and get cable - that's the compromise.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
So if someone has an xbox 360 and the xbox live subscription, there is nothing that can't be watched.

I'll have to look into that....even with cable there are a few things (mainly certain college basketball/football games for DH) that we don't get and he'd like to be able to see....

Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,512,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
See...we only have one computer so, if we streamed anything it would have to be on the monitor....blech. We did the free month of Netflix online (through the XBox) but the selection was so limited it really wasn't going to be worth the $8/month for us. Most of the movies available were stuff we'd already seen or had never heard of. Mostly the latter. And we don't watch enough movies to join the "regular" Netflix either. We can run to any one of a multitude of Redbox locations and get a movie for $1...the thing I do miss is being able to find older movies from time to time. I will miss when Blockbuster finally closes it's doors for that kind of thing.
I don't watch a ton through Netflix either. I talked to DH and DS about nixing it. But DH watches a lot of t.v. series on it. So at this point, he doesn't want to get rid of it.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

If I start watching a series...it seems to be the kiss of death....so I am really hesitant to start up...LOL...

I think Friday Night Lights started it's final season - but haven't watched it. May have to see if it's OnDemand...I really enjoyed that show and of course it struggled for the few years it's been on. Got great critical reviews but viewership was limited (but loyal).

I make it a point to watch Top Chef...other than that, honeslty, there are a few shows I like if I happen to catch but I can't think of any that I really know when they are on and plan to watch...A few other shows I really liked only lasted the one season.

DS would go through History Channel withdrawal. He likes all those shows that have very little to do with "history" but for some reason are on HC...Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Top Shot....

Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,178,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
So if someone has an xbox 360 and the xbox live subscription, there is nothing that can't be watched.
We have xbox with a live subscription. I'll have to check into that. I'd have to buy an extra used xbox though. My son uses his in his room. I'd need to figure out decorating design/piece of furniture for a laptop and xbox for our main TV. I'll have to think on it.

Quote:
DH loves loves loves to watch TV. And movies. Good movies, bad movies, teen movies. Doesn't care. He'll watch anything. Which is why I don't have premium channels. We are at opposite extremes when it comes to TV....We got the big TV and get cable - that's the compromise.
That's my big problem. Hubby is in front of the TV constantly. He doesn't just watch any kind of movie, he watches everything---history, nature, etc. I don't watch TV except for news, an occassional movie and an occassional tv series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I don't watch a ton through Netflix either. I talked to DH and DS about nixing it. But DH watches a lot of t.v. series on it. So at this point, he doesn't want to get rid of it.
Yep. I use netflix for the tv series too. I rarely watch movies on it. But it's cool to watch an entire group of seasons of a tv series I've never seen. That can fill up some of my time if there are 8 years worth of seasons. I caught up on weeds that way----watching seasons 1 through 5 on netflix and then catching season 6 when I got the premium channels for hubby.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,815,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
How's your pup Zim?
Getting better thanks. Glad we own a carpet shampooer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And I'm with Kobber on a few terms - what's IB stand for?
It's the curriculum offered in most International schools around the world, but for some reason it's a mompetitors wet dream to say their special snowflake attends IB.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,404,928 times
Wait. Pony packs are little veggie plants and not dru...?

Well shoot. No wonder my kids were always so spacey.

Morning all.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
...honeslty, there are a few shows I like if I happen to catch but I can't think of any that I really know when they are on and plan to watch...
This is why I like netflix. I've always had a hard time getting into a series. I never can remember which day to watch. I never know when a new season is starting. I miss too much. With netflix, I don't need to remember any of that and I catch every show when it's convenient for me.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM

What am I going to do?

My son is still depressed. It's his birthday this weekend. He was planning to go away camping with friends.

Now he's saying that he doesn't feel like going because he doesn't feel like he would have fun.

I suggested we hop in the car and go to Nashville for the weekend. I've never been there.

I think it would be great diversion for him. Plus I'd love to see Nashville. He's not embracing the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting