Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My girlfriend was heavy into coke and prescription drugs (died of an accidental overdose). Her boyfriend turned husband was an alcoholic.
Wow! My condolences. That is the thing...I do not know if she is doing something like that and if she was she is hiding it very well. Seriously. I have family who are drug addicts and worked for drug and substance abuse, if she was doing it she is doing quite a job in covering it up. I will keep this in the back of my mind.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Wow! My condolences. That is the thing...I do not know if she is doing something like that and if she was she is hiding it very well. Seriously. I have family who are drug addicts and worked for drug and substance abuse, if she was doing it she is doing quite a job in covering it up. I will keep this in the back of my mind.
You only see her three times per year. I only knew because my girlfriend didn't hide it from me. We were friends since first grade. During the teen experimentation phase, I decided I didn't like drugs but we continued to remain friends. She didn't care that I didn't do drugs. I didn't care that she did.

I never once saw her "fiending" for drugs. She became a coke dealer when we were 19. It easily supported her habit and provided her with a comfortable lifestyle. I can't even say that she was an addict, she was more of a drug abuser/heavy user, because she quit coke without any assistance/rehab whatsoever years later.

The prescription drug use was the result of developing lupus in later years. The lupus was the result of damage done to her immune system from her heavy coke use when she was younger. Her accidental overdose was the result of her not being able to manage her pain at normal drug doses because she had developed a high tollerance to drugs when she was younger.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Just got back from the local library. Past all the signs that said, "Warning! This is a Rattlesnake Crossing!" on the way to the front door. I need to re-think wearing sandles next visit.

Finster: I got "Peace Like a River". Very anxious to get started on it.

MM: They had huge posters of Kurt and Brenda Warner inside. Part of the schools' reading programs. I resisted the urge to steal one. Even though one would look totally sweet in our living room which is full of books and has our Cardinals memorabilia.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 PM

You guys HAVE to read "The Art of Racing in the Rain!"

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Just got back from the local library. Past all the signs that said, "Warning! This is a Rattlesnake Crossing!" on the way to the front door. I need to re-think wearing sandles next visit.

Finster: I got "Peace Like a River". Very anxious to get started on it.

MM: They had huge posters of Kurt and Brenda Warner inside. Part of the schools' reading programs. I resisted the urge to steal one. Even though one would look totally sweet in our living room which is full of books and has our Cardinals memorabilia.
A rattlesnake crossing! OMG...

Peace Like A River by Leif Enger? If it is, I recall my roommate read it and gave rave reviews over it. He was going to loan me the book but then I moved. Hmmmmm something to add to my reading list.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
A rattlesnake crossing! OMG...

Peace Like A River by Leif Enger?
Yes, that's the one.

I live in the desert so we have a lot of critters. Some poor woman got bit by a coyote as she was coming out of that library. I tend not to dwadle between the front door and my car.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:11 PM

Wow! Any chance they can move the library to somewhere safer? That's freaky---rattlesnakes and coyotes at the library door! Is your town not highly populated?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Wow! Any chance they can move the library to somewhere safer? That's freaky---rattlesnakes and coyotes at the library door! Is your town not highly populated?

I have a vision of Dew in cowboy boots and holding a shotgun just trying to return some books at the library.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
You guys HAVE to read "The Art of Racing in the Rain!"
I do need to pick a new book club book...

Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
As a transplant I'm probably one of the few people who actually reads the warnings and goes . People tend to take it all in stride. Now let me really freak you out: There are also signs in places like dentist offices and churches (lol) that say, "No Weapons Inside Premises". First time I saw a guy filling up his gas tank with a gun strapped to his leg I swallowed pretty hard.

Yes. It's a small town. Lots of open land. But even downtown Phoenix has the occasional coyote wandering down Central Ave. to remind everyone about who was here first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.