Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Thanks FR - she wouldn't be getting anything unless/until her current laptop cr*ps out completely (so keeping it as a backup/go between isn't really an option)....just not in the budget right now. I'm really hoping two things - it lasts until she graduates; she can get a job when she's done and buy her own computer!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM

13,420 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Thanks FR - she wouldn't be getting anything unless/until her current laptop cr*ps out completely (so keeping it as a backup/go between isn't really an option)....just not in the budget right now. I'm really hoping two things - it lasts until she graduates; she can get a job when she's done and buy her own computer!
Yeah, fair enough! Ours is great for MrFR to take on the job with him where a laptop is really not ideal and a phone is too dinky.

But they certainly aren't cheap! Perhaps your DD can get one when she's able to write it off as a business expense.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Yep...they are very very cool. We were drooling over them recently.....we are a one computer family right now which can be a pain sometimes. DS has his iTouch and I have my Nook - so we can browse and check email, games etc but on a smaller screen.....I much prefer an actual keyboard and mouse to touchscreen for the most part though - at least on a small scale.....plus I'm always multitasking. I always have at least 3-4 tabs going....

Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
wow, Dew! That's a crazy story!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Getting ready to call it a night....I'm just so tired from all the vacuum cleaner drama (picture me tossing my head back, back of my hand on my forehead in a very dramatic pose) that I need to get my jammies on, put what's left of dinner away, and plop into bed with a book.....

Old 05-16-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. Thankfully that's not a problem. Years ago I had a kidney x-ray and they used a shellfish based dye. I was such a picky eater I'd never had shellfish and had no idea I was allergic to it. So they shot me full of this dye and it just about did me in. They called a Code Blue. It was all tremendously dramatic. Not that I remember much since I passed out. I came to and there was a room full of nervous looking people.

So I'm very careful. I can be around it, I just can't injest it. (You might be surprised to find out how many products have shellfish in them.)
Holy carp! (no pun intended)

I just came back and read this, Dew that's terrible. I'm very glad you didn't shuffle off this mortal coil.

Can you watch Deadliest Catch OK though?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Dew - scary story indeed!

MM - vacuum cleaner drama - LOL!

Fin - some great songs over the years with the title mortal coil. I've always loved that saying.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Dew - scary story indeed!

MM - vacuum cleaner drama - LOL!

Fin - some great songs over the years with the title mortal coil. I've always loved that saying.
Yes, there certainly have been. Actually, there was a great band in the 80's called This Mortal Coil. Very Gothish.

Dew- I just realized my Deadliest Catch joke may have come off in more poor taste than I intended - I was thinking about you watching shellfish on TV, not the Deadliest part. Sorry.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, there certainly have been. Actually, there was a great band in the 80's called This Mortal Coil. Very Gothish.
I remember them, still have some of their stuff on vinyl. They had incredible guests performing and singing with them if I remember correctly. They were really innovative.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
MM - asked DH regarding the iPad instead of computer. He said he wouldn't do it. They aren't quite there yet. We love the iPad - don't get me wrong! DH is a die hard of anything Apple. He'll fight for macs to the death lol! And unfortunately, as a Sales Engineer, he has to deal with regular pc's and gripes non stop.

That being said, he just doesn't think the iPad is at the point of being a full replacement for a computer.

Now - on the topic of crabcakes - I made SALMON cakes for the first time the other night using a recipe from allrecipies.com. I had never bought canned salmon before and, well, was a bit shocked when I opened the can.

It was like someone had shoved the fish in the can! I guess I was expecting flaked salmon, like flaked tuna. It completely grossed me out. I had to take the bones out and skin! Yuk! The salmon burgers were yummy, but I won't do it again due to the grossness of the salmon in the can. I was paranoid I had missed a bone or something and someone was going to bite one.

Dew - that is quite the story! Good grief. And who knew they used shellfish based dyes? Never heard of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting