U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Wallis and Futuna
11,294 posts, read 16,645,630 times
Reputation: 16595

Advertisements

Random thoughts:

I first saw the phrase "attachment parenting" here on C-D. I got the image in my head of some little kid standing on mom's foot, arms wrapped around mom's thigh, so she was literally attached to her leg and moving right along with her while mom vacuumed the living room.

Co-sleeping - in my day, it was called the Family Bed and was common among poor families who lived in 1-bedroom shacks and had to accommodate mom, dad, and the kids in a single bed. Co-sleeping sounds more like they put on some special electronic device like a headset that's shared between two people, and electric pulsing waves get sent from a box on the nightstand into each person's brain to force them all to sleep at the same time.

If children can "wean" then they can be whelped. When I was co-parenting (there's a phrase for ya!), my godson didn't "wean off the breast." He "switched to the bottle." Weaning was something that dogs did with their puppies. We just never thought to use that word with regards to breastfeeding a human person. It makes sense, but it also confuses me when people use that word, but get offended by the word "breed." If you're not breeding, when you and a male get together with the intention of creating a new person, then you're probably doing something wrong. To me, it's no more offensive a word than "weaning" is.

It could also just be that I'm a huge Judy Tenuta fan, and no one else gets the whimsy.

 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 PM
 
Location: here
16,999 posts, read 14,265,862 times
Reputation: 13896
Default weaning

I never used the term, but I have heard people say "the baby weaned", and also "I weaned the baby". Which is it? Does it depend on who initiates it?

I have a friend (no kids) who has a friend that did attachment parenting. That's as close as I ever got to it. I think it is strange to subscribe to any specific parenting style. I have my own style!
 
Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
 
43,015 posts, read 49,321,608 times
Reputation: 28696
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I have a friend (no kids) who has a friend that did attachment parenting. That's as close as I ever got to it. I think it is strange to subscribe to any specific parenting style. I have my own style!
I just winged it as I went along!
 
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 AM
 
Location: IL
12,143 posts, read 5,964,340 times
Reputation: 11726
Goodnight all!

A beautiful song to bring sweet dreams.


YouTube - ‪P!nk - Glitter In The Air (GRAMMYs on CBS)‬‏
 
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 931,635 times
Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Random thoughts:

I first saw the phrase "attachment parenting" here on C-D. I got the image in my head of some little kid standing on mom's foot, arms wrapped around mom's thigh, so she was literally attached to her leg and moving right along with her while mom vacuumed the living room.

Co-sleeping - in my day, it was called the Family Bed and was common among poor families who lived in 1-bedroom shacks and had to accommodate mom, dad, and the kids in a single bed. Co-sleeping sounds more like they put on some special electronic device like a headset that's shared between two people, and electric pulsing waves get sent from a box on the nightstand into each person's brain to force them all to sleep at the same time.

If children can "wean" then they can be whelped. When I was co-parenting (there's a phrase for ya!), my godson didn't "wean off the breast." He "switched to the bottle." Weaning was something that dogs did with their puppies. We just never thought to use that word with regards to breastfeeding a human person. It makes sense, but it also confuses me when people use that word, but get offended by the word "breed." If you're not breeding, when you and a male get together with the intention of creating a new person, then you're probably doing something wrong. To me, it's no more offensive a word than "weaning" is.

It could also just be that I'm a huge Judy Tenuta fan, and no one else gets the whimsy.
I never heard of attachment parenting either.

I also never heard of co-sleeping. I have never heard heard of anyone who voluntarily wanted the kids in the bed. I only heard to it referred to Parenting Mistake #1, don't bring the kids in bed, they will never get out.

I never heard of nursing on demand and I have never heard of anyone breast feeding past the age of 1.

I never gave a thought to vaccinating, I just did it.

My kids are in their early to mid twenties, how has parenting changed so much? I live in Boston, I like to think we are pretty cosmopolitan and up with the times and all that jazz. I feel like I live in some backwoods town and have lived under a rock.

Much like Hopes..I winged it. I always thought that listening to people who wrote a book but never met my kids probably wasn't the best judge of how to raise them.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 AM
 
4,476 posts, read 5,999,683 times
Reputation: 3637
Good morning all!

Well, we bit the bullet yesterday - we are getting the floors redone in the house. The carpet is way, way past it's life - it's the original carpet and the house is 14 years old. Now there is all the work to get things ready.

I tried to catch up on the thread - but I'm lost on a couple of things! I'm obviously the one out of the loop this time regarding posters.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: IL
12,143 posts, read 5,964,340 times
Reputation: 11726
Good Morning All!

coop - are you putting carpet back, or getting a new surface? I realize how strangly pathetic my life has become when I get very excited about new carpets and new appliances.

Some very unclassy new posters.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 AM
 
5,946 posts, read 2,912,575 times
Reputation: 7056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good Morning All!

coop - are you putting carpet back, or getting a new surface? I realize how strangly pathetic my life has become when I get very excited about new carpets and new appliances.

Some very unclassy new posters.
Morning!

If one is not supposed to be posting, one should learn to put a space between a sentence and an emoticon. It's a dead give away. Well that, and all the whining.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 AM
 
4,476 posts, read 5,999,683 times
Reputation: 3637
I think I figured out who you all were talking about. Little crazy on this board lately!

Zim - we are putting hand scraped engineered flooring on the main level and new carpet upstairs. They are coming to measure Tuesday. But we brought the flooring home yesterday so it can adjust over the next couple weeks until they put it down. So I've got stacks of boxes in the living room. Not sure which will happen first - carpet or the wood.

I have hated the carpet in this house from day one because it's light. Dogs, cats, kid over the past 12 years we've been here - you can get the picture! I imagine I'm going to be totally grossed out when they pull it up.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 931,635 times
Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I think I figured out who you all were talking about. Little crazy on this board lately!

Zim - we are putting hand scraped engineered flooring on the main level and new carpet upstairs. They are coming to measure Tuesday. But we brought the flooring home yesterday so it can adjust over the next couple weeks until they put it down. So I've got stacks of boxes in the living room. Not sure which will happen first - carpet or the wood.

I have hated the carpet in this house from day one because it's light. Dogs, cats, kid over the past 12 years we've been here - you can get the picture! I imagine I'm going to be totally grossed out when they pull it up.
The precise reason I loathe carpet. I feel like I lived half my life scrubbing it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top