Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

Well, interesting morning.....

Sunday evening, DS was in the basement goofing around with friends. Came up because he got hurt - something involving flipping off a chair. Not quite sure. I guess it leaned back when he wasn't expecting it, but he also was using it in a way not meant to be used for. Go figure.

Anywho - still hurting pretty bad today, so I get him in to the doc who recommends xrays to just rule out a hip fracture.

Got the call a bit ago. No hip fracture - fractured pelvis! I'm just shaking my head. Our doctor was shocked that he wasn't in a lot of pain. DS even went to work yesterday!

So we are off to the Orthopedics this afternoon to find out if it needs to be realigned or what. In the scheme of things, this is better than the hip since that most likely would have meant surgery. But really - I'm kind of in shock right now as I was expecting a pulled muscle diagnosis!

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Hey all -

Well, interesting morning.....

Sunday evening, DS was in the basement goofing around with friends. Came up because he got hurt - something involving flipping off a chair. Not quite sure. I guess it leaned back when he wasn't expecting it, but he also was using it in a way not meant to be used for. Go figure.

Anywho - still hurting pretty bad today, so I get him in to the doc who recommends xrays to just rule out a hip fracture.

Got the call a bit ago. No hip fracture - fractured pelvis! I'm just shaking my head. Our doctor was shocked that he wasn't in a lot of pain. DS even went to work yesterday!

So we are off to the Orthopedics this afternoon to find out if it needs to be realigned or what. In the scheme of things, this is better than the hip since that most likely would have meant surgery. But really - I'm kind of in shock right now as I was expecting a pulled muscle diagnosis!
Oh man. That sucks. Hope he doesn't have to go through too much to get fixed up.

That definitely beats out DD's slight fever. lol. I am surprised DD hasn't had any broken bones yet. She thinks she is much more coordinated than she really is.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Oh man. That sucks. Hope he doesn't have to go through too much to get fixed up.
LOL! Yeah, slightly. Most likely they just will let it heal itself. But he'll have to keep the weight off. He's hoping he can still be able to do some things at work. That's what's he's most worried about. Hopefully no further surprises this afternoon.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,150,304 times
Oh, Coop. That awful. I can understand your shock. Wow. I'll be thinking of you this afternoon. And him.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,554,677 times
Sorry Coop - that sucks.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,554,677 times
We just had the most bizarre day. We were at swim practice this morning when we realized that one of the dads, a good friend of mine, was absolutely fall-down drunk....at 10am. I have 3 very scared little girls in my house at the moment (thier daughters), and the wife is trying to get him into detox asap. Scariest part was this guy driving his kids around the neighborhood. He is a big bloke, and trying to help his wife get him in his car, he took a huge swing at me, thankfully missed. My heart breaks for their tough journey ahead. It just goes to show you never know what is going on behind closed doors. Makes one incredibly grateful for all the good things in ones own life.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We just had the most bizarre day. We were at swim practice this morning when we realized that one of the dads, a good friend of mine, was absolutely fall-down drunk....at 10am. I have 3 very scared little girls in my house at the moment (thier daughters), and the wife is trying to get him into detox asap. Scariest part was this guy driving his kids around the neighborhood. He is a big bloke, and trying to help his wife get him in his car, he took a huge swing at me, thankfully missed. My heart breaks for their tough journey ahead. It just goes to show you never know what is going on behind closed doors. Makes one incredibly grateful for all the good things in ones own life.
That is sad to hear. I hope the girls will be a bit better soon.

Too many people assume that alcoholics and drug addicts are lower class. That isn't the case. One of my good friends got addicted to pain killers after he had an injury. He is the greatest guy, but had a problem. We got him help and he is much better today.

I hope things turn around for that family.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,150,304 times
I'm glad the kids are with YOU Zimbo. I know you'll be good with them.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,901,606 times
Ouch! Coop - hope DS's orthopedic appt went well. What does one even do to treat a fractured pelvis?? Props to him for going to work yesterday, too...

Zimbo - so sorry to hear about your friend. Hope the little girls are doing ok - it sounds like a scary day for an adult, let alone a kid.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Wow Zim - glad you are okay and the girls are safe. That really is sad.....

Orthopedic appointment went well. Small fracture up top, barely noticeable. Worse one down below. But the good news is he can bear weight on it. He just has to be careful and take it easy. Thankfully nothing going into the hip.

The doctor ended up being ill and couldn't see him - so we met with the PA. Really nice guy - I would never have known he wasn't a full blown doctor! We have to go back next week to make sure things aren't getting worse and we are just going to meet with him again!

Anyway, bit of a sigh of relief. He's still going to go to work. Just probably has to be careful about what he does. We'll see how it goes.

ETA: The PA did comment on what an unusual injury for a 17 year old. No kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.