U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
 
42,466 posts, read 47,596,826 times
Reputation: 28054
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Oh, this is so cliche: At a bar.

(My sister met her DH at a bar, too.)

And the man I ALMOST married? At a bar....

I think there's a theme here....
Funny!

I met hubby at a bar too, BUT it was planned. My girlfriend's cousin was having a super bowl party for my husband and his friend. His friend had previously asked her if she knew any single women. So, she threw a private super bowl party at her uncle's bar and invited all of the single women she knew.

My girlfriend and I were dating other guys at the time. Her cousin insisted that she had to attend, that dating didn't count and she was single. My girlfriend insisted that I join her because she didn't want to go alone.

Hubby's friend is much more attractive (it's just a fact), but I was really drawn to hubby because he's a soft spoken but very funny guy. His friend, who is still one of his best friends, is a terrible jerk of a man. If I had gone by looks, I would have ended up miserable and divorced in less than 3 years.

Anyways, hubby never had the courage to ask me for my phone number. He tried to keep me behind when I was leaving. I stayed for a little while but when he didn't ask for my number, I left. About four weeks later, I couldn't stop thinking about him so I asked my girlfriend to tell her cousin to give him my number. He kept calling my house but wouldn't leave a message on my answering machine. Six weeks later, I answered the phone.

All in all, it was 3 months from when we met until we had our first date where I passed out on him. I swear, I wasn't drinking. I think it was my undiagnosed B-12 deficiency. Yeah, yeah, I'll admit it I was a wuss, still am!

 
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: here
16,929 posts, read 13,881,698 times
Reputation: 13713
DH and I were lab partners in a waste water analysis class. We analyzed nasty water together all year. We each had SO's and didn't start dating until after college.
 
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
 
Location: On a Voyage Around the Sun
21,554 posts, read 12,143,841 times
Reputation: 23037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We analyzed nasty water together all year.
You win.
 
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Location: IL
12,098 posts, read 5,753,372 times
Reputation: 11626
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
DH and I were lab partners in a waste water analysis class. We analyzed nasty water together all year. We each had SO's and didn't start dating until after college.
So true love grew from a beaker full of poo-water? Awww....so romantic. Dew is right, you definitely win!
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: here
16,929 posts, read 13,881,698 times
Reputation: 13713
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So true love grew from a beaker full of poo-water? Awww....so romantic. Dew is right, you definitely win!
I could just say "we met in college" but the full story is much more interesting!
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM
 
Location: You know... That place
1,899 posts, read 1,254,528 times
Reputation: 2017
How I met DH: We met at work. I had absolutely no interest in him because I was living with another guy (semi-engaged) and DH was a huge dork. I only saw him for about 5 minutes each day and we started talking. Eventually, a group of us from work all went out. They decided on a karaoke bar since I wasn't old enough to drink, but could get in there. DH and I talked for a bit, but that was it.

Things were starting to go bad at home and I was starting to get a bit more quiet at work. I was the only female in the place, btw. We were auto parts delivery people. Since I was the only female and the youngest one there, I suddenly had about 30 big brothers. When they saw I was starting to get a bit quiet, I told a couple of the guys I was having trouble at home with my BF. It was a good thing I did. One night I had enough and we had a huge fight. I ended up sleeping on the couch. When I woke up the next morning, I noticed the power was out and I had overslept. It turns out BF chopped off all of my hair while I slept, cut the power and phone line to the house and was sitting outside on the stairs (the only way out). I was trapped and he was looking crazy. I locked the door, but had no way to get help.

The next thing I know I hear yelling and a fight outside. A bunch of guys from my warehouse had come to check on me when I didn't show up for work. They scared him off. DH came inside and saw what had happened to my hair, so he sent the guys back to work and took me to a hair salon to get my hair fixed. He stayed with me the entire day and offered to sleep on my couch so I would feel safer. He took me to dinner and when we got back to my apartment he was helping me clean up a mess left by BF's rampage. The next thing I knew he was proposing.

We were engaged for 2 years before the wedding, but I guess you could say we got engaged before our first date. We have been together for almost 12 years now.

Crazy. I know.
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: here
16,929 posts, read 13,881,698 times
Reputation: 13713
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
How I met DH: We met at work. I had absolutely no interest in him because I was living with another guy (semi-engaged) and DH was a huge dork. I only saw him for about 5 minutes each day and we started talking. Eventually, a group of us from work all went out. They decided on a karaoke bar since I wasn't old enough to drink, but could get in there. DH and I talked for a bit, but that was it.

Things were starting to go bad at home and I was starting to get a bit more quiet at work. I was the only female in the place, btw. We were auto parts delivery people. Since I was the only female and the youngest one there, I suddenly had about 30 big brothers. When they saw I was starting to get a bit quiet, I told a couple of the guys I was having trouble at home with my BF. It was a good thing I did. One night I had enough and we had a huge fight. I ended up sleeping on the couch. When I woke up the next morning, I noticed the power was out and I had overslept. It turns out BF chopped off all of my hair while I slept, cut the power and phone line to the house and was sitting outside on the stairs (the only way out). I was trapped and he was looking crazy. I locked the door, but had no way to get help.

The next thing I know I hear yelling and a fight outside. A bunch of guys from my warehouse had come to check on me when I didn't show up for work. They scared him off. DH came inside and saw what had happened to my hair, so he sent the guys back to work and took me to a hair salon to get my hair fixed. He stayed with me the entire day and offered to sleep on my couch so I would feel safer. He took me to dinner and when we got back to my apartment he was helping me clean up a mess left by BF's rampage. The next thing I knew he was proposing.

We were engaged for 2 years before the wedding, but I guess you could say we got engaged before our first date. We have been together for almost 12 years now.

Crazy. I know.
OK, you win!
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
 
42,466 posts, read 47,596,826 times
Reputation: 28054
num1baby, you definite win.

(I had no idea we were sharing the worst ever stories. That's what I get for not checking past pages I've missed. My story is so boring! LOL)

But I want to say, the following is super super sweet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
....and took me to a hair salon to get my hair fixed. He stayed with me the entire day and offered to sleep on my couch so I would feel safer. He took me to dinner and when we got back to my apartment he was helping me clean up a mess left by BF's rampage. The next thing I knew he was proposing.
That's when you know you've found a good man. My hubby is a similar gentle soul.
 
Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 PM
 
Location: You know... That place
1,899 posts, read 1,254,528 times
Reputation: 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
num1baby, you definite win.

(I had no idea we were sharing the worst ever stories. That's what I get for not checking past pages I've missed. My story is so boring! LOL)

But I want to say, the following is super super sweet:


That's when you know you've found a good man. My hubby is a similar gentle soul.
He is still like that. If he sees that I had a rough day, he will bring me a glass of wine and give me a little bit to compose myself before asking what happened. He takes care of the house. If I fall asleep on the couch watching TV, I wake up with a blanket over me. It is all of those little things that count.

ETA: Oh. And I wasn't trying to share a worst ever story, but would you have gottne the picture if I had just said "We met at work"? lol
 
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
 
1,333 posts, read 1,197,330 times
Reputation: 1292
Your story reminds me that you never know what people go through. We all look so alike on the outside, just going about in the world, but you just never know.

I'm glad your story has a happy ending!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top