Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM

13,293 posts, read 9,827,229 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else despise that samsung phone ad with the freaking tarantula and the woman going into hysterics, screaming at the top of her lungs?

Ugh it totally annoys me. I don't need that amount of screaming when I'm minding my own business not paying any attention to commercials.

Julia - I love hitchhiker's guide. Did you read the books, too?

Resistance is useless! He he.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM

970 posts, read 2,205,126 times
I used to think "guts" was a bad word when I was little...teehee.

I have to be careful posting on CD because my language is pretty colorful in real life.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:02 PM

13,293 posts, read 9,827,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I used to think "guts" was a bad word when I was little...teehee.

I have to be careful posting on CD because my language is pretty colorful in real life.
Well awhile ago, when I was trying to figure out a shortcut for your name, I thought about using pwat, and I just couldn't do it, it sounded rude.

Now I think you probably wouldn't have minded at all.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,693,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
What happened? TK?
No, not TK. No Mommy stress there because I'm not his mother. Interesting turn of events though. Over the weekend, he learned that his girlfriend doesn't want to get an apartment. Now he's saying he is thinking about going to school. Goodness. I wish parenting my own child was that easy. I sure didn't expect TK to go to school. What an interesting delema for me! LOL I want him out and now he has decided to do something productive with his life! We'll see if he follows through.

It was my son. He suddenly had a meltdown about the prospect of dealing with his fear of the world. A job interview materialized suddenly and he went into a panic when I woke him to tell him he needed to return the call and schedule the interview. Here was a fantastic opportunity and he was freezing over the idea of placing a return phone call to schedule the interview. And the biggest fear is getting the job and having to go out there into the world. Oh, the drama I endure---I thought I was going to have a heart attack. (That's when I posted my post.) After an hour of INTENSE meltdown mode, he picked up the phone and called the guy, went an filled out the application, and had a brief interview. I was shocked and impressed that he overcame his fear and followed through with this. Now he waits for the FBI background check before the job can be offered. And he's feeling insecure because he wasn't offered the job on the spot. So there's a whole new level of worrying. But thankfully the major meltown was short lived and he overcame it. I hope he gets the job. It would be another huge emotional drawback if he doesn't. I'm trying to encourage him to continue the job search---just in case---because I feel it's the best course of action that will prevent him from feeling like a failure. If this job doesn't work out, another might. I've been living this type of emotional roller coaster for the past month. It's not easy. But there is significant growth happening. It reminds me of how babies get cranky before reaching a new milestone. (In his case, recapturing a milestone he lost in regression.) Clarification: I don't think he's a baby. I know CD Mommies know what I mean by that comparison. He was so much more mature years ago. It's like we're starting all over again in some ways at times. It bothers him because he himself wishes he was functioning was well as he did previously. I keep my hopes up.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,930,008 times
Awww Hopes - well, I'm glad he pushed through it. It sounds like he's making progress and you are doing everything you can to get him out there. Hang in there! We were worried about you.

Well, all the talk of getting in trouble on CD - I really haven't had a post deleted. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I need to get my fight on!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
We were worried about you.
Sorry about that! His anxiety disorders are the hardest thing I've ever dealt with as a parent. It's been four or five long years and he is much worse now, very isolated---almost agoraphobic now. When I see him so fearful and frightened and angry and utterly saddened and depressed, I feel totally helpless and hopeless these days. Now I'm having panic attacks too! LOL And I've never had anxiety in my life! I'm starting to take his antianxiety medicine that he refuses to take for himself. It's that difficult for me lately. I'm sorry I worried anyone. But I'm starting to experience first hand the feeling of wanting to FLEE during a panic attack. That's what I meant by I wanted to run away. Of course, I didn't. When it was melting down all around me, it helped to post how I was feeling here instead of actually leaving or blurting it out accidently. I was able to keep my cool.

Let's hope he gets one good break and he starts to see his old confident self again soon.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Well, all the talk of getting in trouble on CD - I really haven't had a post deleted. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I need to get my fight on!
Get your fight on! LOL

Since 2007, I have had three official infractions/warnings. I guess I average one a year. (I took a year off from posting when I was sick.)

The last one was reversed when I challenged it. I never thought to challenge the first two, which were really silly.

Deleted posts? Goodness, I couldn't even begin to estimate how many of those I've had. Usually, they are deleted when there is a mass delete and I had responded to a deleted post.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,513,926 times
Hi everyone - lots going on here today.

rkb - been there, I agree with everyone else bumps are just what happens. I will say I think sometimes it's hard when you are SAH as you assume responsibility for the kids all the time, and it's exhausting. For me every now and then I put both feet down and have a bit of a tantrum. I also schedule things for DH to do with the kids that I am quite capable of doing, but don't want to. DH is the scout parent, I won't fill in as I know it will become habit. Stand your ground.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, I just love this song and it always makes me smile!

YouTube - ‪Saffire the Uppity Blues Women -- ***** with a Bad Attitude‬‏

Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,173,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Hi all

I don't know whether to gloat or cry... because I:

1. Gave my kid a girl's name, because she's... a girl;
2. Never GPS-tracked her. She just knew I had eyes in the back of my head, which was a deterrent more than sufficient to prevent her wandering;
3. Never cooked her 3 meals a day, much less gave her a cooked breakfast or a hot lunch to take to school;
4. Never taught her to play poker, much less to count cards (Dew, you bad girl you )... but she did become pretty good at Gin Rummy and Scrabble.

Other stuff I learned today is that a lot of C-D members would welcome a film crew into their oh-so-clean-and-tidy home with absolutely no notice (see "How clean" thread in House forum). And that, despite the odds, Mattie has shown her resilience and her sense of humour.

Anyone have any other suggestions about where on C-D I might find good stuff to learn? It's not even noon here, so I have plenty of time.
The religion forum.It's ever so calm and polite over there.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of what "the T word" is. And I've no idea how many posts have been pulled.

And finally, good thoughts being sent to those who can use them.

Last edited by Aconite; 06-29-2011 at 12:21 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 AM

8,392 posts, read 3,473,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
<snip>
This is not directed at anyone in particular, I just love this song and it always makes me smile!

YouTube - &#x202a;Saffire the Uppity Blues Women -- ***** with a Bad Attitude&#x202c;&rlm;
Zim - love, love, love Saffire - have every single one of their CDs and play them often. Too bad they broke up the band before I had the opportunity to see them play live. Did you ever see them live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
The religion forum.It's ever so calm and polite over there.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of what "the T word" is. And I've no idea how many posts have been pulled.

And finally, good thoughts being sent to those who can use them.
Sometimes in the dead of your night (when it's early evening where I am), I take a peek in the Religion forum... but always beat a hasty retreat. It's definitely nightmare territory!

I always get on a ROLL when I think of the T word. (Clue )

Hope everyone who's dealing with Stuff wakes up to find a brighter day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.