Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,901,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Num - I would never say never!

In all seriousness it's easy to be very judgemental when a person has not yet had children , or if your children have not gone through specific experiences or stages. I have ideas about how I might handle things, but when issues have arisen in the past, those preconceived notions tend to go straight out the window.
Num - totally share your frustration on this one!

Zim - Completely agree. We can "know" how we'll handle something in theory, but IME, that's a lot different than actually going through it and having to troubleshoot it and see it through to the end.

The one thing that I find really hard to be nonjudgmental about is when people are so judgmental of others without trying to see where they're coming from. Behavior has a context - there are reasons people act and choose as they do - whether or not that behavior is effective. Arg, total pet peeve.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Nope, no rain yet mm. The monsoon storms usually hit at night so we'll see.

I was too keyed up this morning to look closely at the video on the link you posted. I found out it was made by a friend of mine. Pretty cool!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Well that's cool Dew....

It is really coming down here. A lot. We have standing water in our yard. Usually, if it comes down this hard, it doesn't last very long. This has gone on for quite awhile. Poor DH was grilling and everytime he went out to flip the turkey burgers or rotate the corn it would just dump on him. And it would lighten up as soon as he came inside. I told him that if I were a nice wife, I'd go out and hold an umbrella over him while he did his thing. He just laughed - he knows I'm not that nice LOL....I did do sliding door duty though so he could dash in and out quickly....

Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yep....I can remember a few years back there was a poster here who was pregnant and a professional and she was adamant that she would keep working and that it just wasn't that difficult. She wasn't condescending or anything (in fact, quite nice) but she was absolutely sure of how things would be. I don't think that baby was a year old before I saw a post where she had decided to stay home for awhile. You just can't know how it will be until you cross that bridge yourself.

We just got absolutely poured on! I'm hoping for Dew's sake they got something. But then I wonder if it would just end up being a muddy mess.... Our niece lives in Phoenix and I've checked on facebook to see if she's mentioned anything...nothing so far. Such an interesting phenomenon though!
OMG we got all ready and drove to DS's tee ball game and it was pouring by the time we parked the car. We waited, but one by one everyone left, as it became obvious that even if it stopped, the ground would be too wet to play. That was crazy.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM

rkb - still raining here. It sounds like it stops or slows down for a bit then another wave hits....all I can think of is the $$ I'll be saving by not having to water the lawn for awhile!

Wonder if DS's lacrosse game got rained out? They were playing in SE Denver (and I didn't feel like fighting the traffic during rush hour)....

Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I wish we would get some rain. There was a 60% chance today, and not a drop. My roses look like crap.There's a much higher chance on Friday, when I have plans to go blueberry picking. I can't wait to fill my freezer with them.

I got a call from the newlywed boy tonight. He wants to sell the house the in-laws bought. He said it isn't anywhere near his job, and it doesn't feel like "his". Fortunately, he's in an area of decent resale prices. Best of all, he said they are planning a weekend to come down and visit.

Motrin is helping my back. I hope Hopes is doing as well

Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Glad you're feeling better. I too was just thinking about Hopes. Wasn't she going to see a PT yesterday?

I don't blame your son - I'm sure it doesn't feel like "his"....I think them picking out a house and going through the process of buying it together would be a great fresh start for them as a couple. Hopefully his wife is on board...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope, no rain yet mm. The monsoon storms usually hit at night so we'll see.

I was too keyed up this morning to look closely at the video on the link you posted. I found out it was made by a friend of mine. Pretty cool!
Your friend is now famous in Australia! He was interviewed for our TV news this morning, explaining how he managed to get the time lapse video organised so quickly. Apparently he was already taking a time-lapse video of the sunset when he realised what was happening, and only had to drive a quarter of a mile or so to get to the spot where he took the dust-storm video. Serendipity.

Hope you can get rid of the dust soon. We had a dust storm here a couple of years ago - covered the whole state. Messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wish we would get some rain. There was a 60% chance today, and not a drop. My roses look like crap.There's a much higher chance on Friday, when I have plans to go blueberry picking. I can't wait to fill my freezer with them.

I got a call from the newlywed boy tonight. He wants to sell the house the in-laws bought. He said it isn't anywhere near his job, and it doesn't feel like "his". Fortunately, he's in an area of decent resale prices. Best of all, he said they are planning a weekend to come down and visit.

Uh oh. Does his MIL have any inkling of this development? Great that he and his wife are coming for a visit soon.

For all those with bad backs and other sore bits or unwellness, I hope you feel better soon.

And - yes - never say never, especially when it comes to relationships and parenting!

It's that weird part of winter here - where it's really chilly first thing in the morning so I put the heater on and place it just a few feet from my freezing body. Then, in my total absorption of threads about terrible mothers and 'popping babies', don't realise for several hours that the day has warmed up to 75 and I still have the heater on!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

uh oh. MOB won't like that.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
And - yes - never say never, especially when it comes to relationships and parenting!
Isn't that the truth. And let's not forget that those who proposed life-long monogamy lived to the ripe old age of about 32 at the time! Just kidding. Sort of. I love hearing women say "My husband would never....", that's tempting fate right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.