Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

Tiffany wineglass mystery resolved! DH brought them home from work - courtesy of a vendor.....I figured it was something like that - I was guessing he won them at some meeting or another....

Supposed to be another hot one today. I have some indoor stuff to do today and I'll save my outdoor stuff for tomorrow when it's supposed to be a bit cooler.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Morning all. MM: Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix is one of the hot spots to eat here. Something for DD to consider. (Martha Stewart gave it rave reviews a couple of years ago.)
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll pass it on. They will be celebrating birthdays while they are out there. DDs and one of her cousins are both in Aug.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Good Morning All!

It's going to be HOT here today and I get to spend most of the day outside. Yay!

We watched a Netflix move last night Defiance with Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber. I would highly recommend it. Anyone seen anything good on Netflix recently?

Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
We're getting a "break" in the hot weather today with the high at 91. It's a start. The rest of the week will be in the upper 80s and thunderstorms.

The low went down to 77 last night. We celebrated by sleeping without the airconditioner! The previous two nights, the nightime lows were in the high 80s.

I finally went out and ran errands this morning. We were staying home, just hanging out in the house and the yard doing the absolute minimum this week.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
Life experience doesn't help you get into academy but college work and/or military experience does.
Not only that, but the military would train her as an MP for free in tech school, assuming that was the job she enlisted for, and give her the GI bill afterward.
Not to mention a chance to grow up a bit. Carrying a gun is only partly about the gun itself. The gun also symbolizes the ability to make well-reasoned assessments and act on what's right, as opposed to what's merely fair.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Not only that, but the military would train her as an MP for free in tech school, assuming that was the job she enlisted for, and give her the GI bill afterward.
Not to mention a chance to grow up a bit. Carrying a gun is only partly about the gun itself. The gun also symbolizes the ability to make well-reasoned assessments and act on what's right, as opposed to what's merely fair.
The military has been suggested numerous times over the years. Honestly, it is probably the best way not only to get into the academy but to actually get a job afterwards. At the academy and beyond she will be competing with people with college degrees and/or experience as MPs...she is not interested however.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 AM

DS10 went to a sleep-over party last night. When I dropped him I said to the mom (a good friend) that if the kids weren't settling down by 11.30-ish last night, could she please call me and I'd pick him up as he can't do these crazy late nights. Went to pick him up this morning, and what time did they go to sleep? 4.30am . She said they were having such a good time, she didn't have the heart to make them go to sleep. What is wrong with people that they don't see that by letting them stay up for 4 hours ruins the next 4 days. Gagh! I get so tired of parents that won't set boundaries.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
DS10 went to a sleep-over party last night. When I dropped him I said to the mom (a good friend) that if the kids weren't settling down by 11.30-ish last night, could she please call me and I'd pick him up as he can't do these crazy late nights. Went to pick him up this morning, and what time did they go to sleep? 4.30am . She said they were having such a good time, she didn't have the heart to make them go to sleep. What is wrong with people that they don't see that by letting them stay up for 4 hours ruins the next 4 days. Gagh! I get so tired of parents that won't set boundaries.
I tried to not impose my rules on other parents when my children were their guests. I had the choice to not permit my children to visit/sleep over if I didn't like the way the other parents did things. It all comes down to deciding what's more important to you: your children getting sleep or getting a sleepover. I wouldn't keep my children from visiting due to something as harmless as lack of sleep. It's not a safety issue as long as they are supervised. I would never in a million years tell another parent to stick to my child's bedtime (and saying you'll pick your child up is the same thing). Never. Never. Never. I would keep my children home if missing sleep would hinder planned activities, like attending a wedding the next day.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Re sleepovers....I have to say, I don't remember really caring what time they went to sleep when they were sleeping over at someone else's home. I don't think I ever had someone ask me to make sure they were asleep by a specific time either. That's part of the "fun" of the sleepover (or at least it was when I was younger).....If something specific is going on the next day that they'd need to be not crabby about - in which case, they'd stay home....Meh.....I agree with Hopes on this one....

Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I tried to not impose my rules on other parents when my children were their guests. I had the choice to not permit my children to visit/sleep over if I didn't like the way the other parents did things. It all comes down to deciding what's more important to you: your children getting sleep or getting a sleepover. I wouldn't keep my children from visiting due to something as harmless as lack of sleep. It's not a safety issue as long as they are supervised. I would never in a million years tell another parent to stick to my child's bedtime (and saying you'll pick your child up is the same thing). Never. Never. Never. I would keep my children home if missing sleep would hinder planned activities, like attending a wedding the next day.
Wow, well that was nasty.

I do not expect others to parent my children, and I did not tell her what to do or what rules to impose. I merely asked for a courtesy call if things were not settling down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.