Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,523,531 times

Advertisements

Welcome "home" Num! Looking forward to your trip report.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Welcome back Nummy!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM

Responses to completely well-meaning signs. Funny.

Brilliantly Sarcastic Responses To Completely Well-Meaning Signs | Happy Place

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Another great find, Zimbo.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,845,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So here's my parenting dilemma, and maybe it's not a dilemma as such. Have any of you experienced people routinely complimenting one of your children on their physical appearance in front of the both/all of your children. I have no problem if people say it to me, but I have found people say it in front of both of mine. It's been that way for a while, but as we reach those teen years I wonder.... Here's an example:

"Your children are beautiful. X is really beautiful/handsome, wow". Something like that.

I'm not looking to control what others say, but wondering what, if anything I can say to the other kid, or whether I am reacting to it more than they are.
Ugh. I hate that. I may be more sensetive to it than most though because I was the "other one". We would hear "Oh. Your girls are so pretty. The little blonde one, though. Wow. I can't take my eyes off of her." Then my mom would jump in with "Thank you. I can't believe how pretty she turned out. She got all of the good genes." I still have self-esteem issues from that and don't feel like I can stack up. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it just creeps up on me. I can't believe some people would say things like that.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM

You guys were talking about jobs and the economy earlier. DH works for a large food manufacturer and commodities trader, they are "restructuring" and bracing for a huge hike in food prices over the next 2 years. It's quite depressing. The up-side (if there is one) is that DH has been travelling like crazy, and very stressed out, and his boss said the family (us) needs to be taken to Florida next week and spoiled rotten. I may be able to live with that. Anyway, bottom line, get your greenhouses going peeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Ugh. I hate that. I may be more sensetive to it than most though because I was the "other one". We would hear "Oh. Your girls are so pretty. The little blonde one, though. Wow. I can't take my eyes off of her." Then my mom would jump in with "Thank you. I can't believe how pretty she turned out. She got all of the good genes." I still have self-esteem issues from that and don't feel like I can stack up. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it just creeps up on me. I can't believe some people would say things like that.
I was the "other one" too, on many levels. People can be clueless.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,177,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wish!

I'm heading back to the attic shortly to put in an hour or so before it gets hot. I'm hoping the sky stays overcast. Then I'm off to the bank to make a deposit and to Goodwill to drop off bags of old clothes. Then I am visiting some local farms for bushel pricing because my girlfriend wants to try canning this year.
Good times, good times!
I sewed buttons on the dance team's uniforms and took ds to his music lesson. Oh, and I made lasagna. We don't really have an attic, and I don't want to know what's up in the rafters. (Besides, no doubt, spiders the size of dinner plates.)

Oh, and good luck to the football player, crossing fingers for the vet meds to work, and I buy blueberry muffins, hummus, whole pork loins, paper goods, OxyClean and the world's best chocolate bar cake at Costco. Sometimes other stuff, but those are the biggies. I may have to look for cream puffs now, tyvm. I would buy soda, but I'm detoxing from a 40-or-so year Coke habit. Be afraid.

Last edited by Aconite; 07-26-2011 at 06:30 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 06:29 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,177,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I had no guidance from the parentals with regard to money either, that's always very dangerous. I learned by trial and many errors. I'm also determined to really instill fiscal responsibility in the offspring.

I really hate to judge people, I know I'm not walking in their shoes, but I'm amazed by the folks who claim their house is about to be foreclosed on, but they have maintained all their expensive grooming habits, eating out every night, and only got rid of 1 of the 2 nannies . Not kidding. I guess it comes down to their priorities are a tad different from mine.
No kidding. We've cut to the bone, and are getting by. But I also know people who've asked that their school fees be waived but who are taking cruises and buying their kids $500 BMX bikes.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,379,095 times
Good evening all!

I've got the domicile to myself tonight. Know what that means around here? Popcorn for dinner! Yay! And the last glass of some kind of red wine left over from last night....

It is pretty interesting what some people consider necessities. We've seen some of that too. The other interesting thing (to me) is seeing those that (apparently anyway) CAN afford all kinds of stuff be super indulgent to their kids. I see that in some of DS's friends. I'm not implying that they should not buy their kids luxuries - that's on them. What I don't understand is the failing to link any sort of responsibility to stuff. And to repeatedly purchase stuff that kids have lost or ruined. What are they thinking? How do they feel this is beneficial to their kids?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Well, MM. Cards may be interested in Orton. I still want cute guy, lol.

Fun hour here. Cat sat on the TV control and undid everything. DH has a bunch of stuff strung together and I am clueless. (Sound, picture, DVD, VHS, TV, FBI, CIA, IRS...) DH isn't home. Somehow I managed to push the right buttons and get everything back where it works. I hope.

Bad kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.