Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,340,050 times

Advertisements

Yes - I've been following that. Kolb may be too pricey in a trade. Will be interesting. Orton did a good job for us....no complaints - he didn't have a whole lot to work with. Hope he gets his chance. I don't see it happening here. People want to see what Tebow can do.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-26-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,691 times
My friend is convinced that she can buy a house next year. She has had the same job for 4 years. It's not a good job but compared with the amount she pays for rent/utilities/car it should be enough to save up at least a little money. In her words, she has "a couple hundred dollars" for a down payment. We live in California...I don't know where she plans on getting a house for that much.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,506,033 times
A "couple of hundred" down for a house in Cali? That's "rich"!

My question of the night is, do kids not take gap-years any more? Back in the dark-ages when I was younger many people took a year off either after high school, or after college. I guess finances are different now, but just wondered if that is a dead tradition?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 PM

970 posts, read 2,203,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A "couple of hundred" down for a house in Cali? That's "rich"!

My question of the night is, do kids not take gap-years any more? Back in the dark-ages when I was younger many people took a year off either after high school, or after college. I guess finances are different now, but just wondered if that is a dead tradition?
I think the house thing is annoying me because my husband and I have been saving money for awhile and still won't be ready to buy a house until next spring. I have to resist the urge to knock some sense into my friend (not literally) but for the time being I keep the conversation on stuff like "what kind of house are you interested in?" and "what areas are you looking at?"

As far as a "gap-year" goes, I know one person who took a year off between her undergrad at college and grad school, but it wasn't really a break. She just worked full time to help finance schooling. Other than that people I know pretty much go straight from school to work.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,925,847 times
Hey all -

Well, swiss chard from CSA was tried again tonight. I just can't like it. No matter what I do to it. We did get a TON of basil this week - so I made some basil butter and froze it. Have plans for the rest of it over the next few nights.

Anyway, on the subject of finances, etc. - you all know we went through unemployment. It's life changing. So we will always have a pretty tight belt. Re-doing the floors was a big deal and even though I know it was way over due - I still stress about the money spent! So I can't even remotely relate to spending, spending, spending.

Zim - gap year. I don't know many who do it, but I also don't know a ton of kids at that age. Unless our son traveled abroad - it would not be good for him. And we can't afford him traveling. He needs to get out of here and into a dorm next year. He's such a home body.

mm - did you watch Master Chef? What a night - yikes!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,816,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post

mm - did you watch Master Chef? What a night - yikes!
Ooooooo.... Me! I did! That was BRUTAL. Wow, those guys are SERIOUS.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM

Hey....no...I didn't watch it. Since I didnt see last night I didn't want to watch tonight yet. I looked on ondemand but yesterdays episode wasn't yet available...

On the gap year....I've heard of it but never actually knew anyone who did it - even back when I was in school. High school, college, work....I'd love to be able to give my kids some time to travel before starting work but not in our cards or finances.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 PM

13,291 posts, read 9,816,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hey....no...I didn't watch it. Since I didnt see last night I didnt want to watch tonight yet. I looked on ondemand but yesterdays episode wasnt yet available...
Mm - I'm not sure they ran last night's scheduled episode? Coop? I think it was the one tonight, because of the speech last night. I came into it 15 minutes late, so I'm not entirely sure.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,622,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
We don't really have an attic, and I don't want to know what's up in the rafters. (Besides, no doubt, spiders the size of dinner plates.)
Speaking of spiders! When I was doing laundry in the basement, I saw a HUGE BIG SPIDER on the floor! I called hubby. I'm not afraid of spiders, but this spider was the BIGGEST SPIDER I EVER SAW! Someone else needed to SEE this thing!

So, it's not moving, just standing there on the floor. Hubby comes down and we stare at it for a while. We're both barefoot. (Another reason I called hubby is he usually is wearing some type of footwear.) Hubby walks into the other side of the basement, looking for something to squash the spider. He must not have seen anything he felt would do the job. He walks back in and squashes the spider with his bare foot.

Yuck, right? Oh, yeah, but on levels you can't even begin to imagine! Suddenly, all of these little babies start spreading out across the floor. There must have been hundreds of them! He tells me to go grab the wasp spray. I'm already halfway up the stairs with the same plan. OMG, who would have guessed?

FYI, wasp spray kills baby spiders.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting