U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM

41,357 posts, read 45,359,696 times
Hubby is doing laundry today!

Can I milk the spider incident indefinitely?

Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM

3,388 posts, read 1,663,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

At least for the foreseeable future...

So, DS just decorated "baby sister" (aka my tummy) with Cars stickers. That is all.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,209,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Milk it as long as you can. If you need tips, just ask.

I still can't change the cat litter. You know, because pregnant women can change litter. So that was 6 years ago. Then, it couldn't becuase I was breastfeeding. If it isn't healthy for a pregnant woman, it can't be healthy for a bfing one. After that, "I am still in my childbearing years. I could be pregnant right now and we just don't know it." hmm. What will I say when I go through menopause? Oh. I will just make sure we don't have cats then.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 PM

4,460 posts, read 5,655,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I still can't change the cat litter. You know, because pregnant women can change litter. So that was 6 years ago. Then, it couldn't becuase I was breastfeeding. If it isn't healthy for a pregnant woman, it can't be healthy for a bfing one. After that, "I am still in my childbearing years. I could be pregnant right now and we just don't know it." hmm. What will I say when I go through menopause? Oh. I will just make sure we don't have cats then.
omg - I totally missed that boat. I wish I would have thought of that. Of course, DH is "fixed" now so I guess he would have figured it out eventually.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM

5,716 posts, read 2,660,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Mattie - that sounds yummy. Especially the cup cake.

Here's what I'm doing tonight in an attempt to use up our Farm share stuff - mainly the basil:

Orzo with Parmesan and basil
salad with a homemade citrus-basil vinaigrette
eggplant snack sticks
homemade fresh bread with ....wait for it.... basil butter I made yesterday

Notice a theme?

On that note - I need to go down and get started on the vinaigrette and bread.
Oooh that sounds great. I love citrus vinaigrette. Hey, maybe you could make some pesto. That's a good use for all that basil. Or make a Thai curry with basil. Yum.

Mattie, I'm coming over, but I won't stay long - just long enough to stick your cake in my purse and make a run for it.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,209,686 times
So, I only have a few minutes, but I will try to let you all know about my trip. It was fun but exhausting. Besides Alaska or Hawaii, I couldn't have gone any farther from home and still been in the country.

We started in Portland. That is one very laid back city. It was surprising how laid back everyone was. The most shocking thing to me was seeing the cars just stop in the street to let a pedestrian cross. That does no happen here. I got to see beautiful homes that look so different from the boring FL style homes I see every day. We ate really good and played a bit in that city, but really there isn't much to do there. It was beautiful though.

Next we went to Seattle. That is another pretty laid back city. It is also much smaller than I imagined. I got to see Pike Place, the first Starbucks, the Space Needle and quite a few other things. We also drove over the bridge to West Seattle. It was so quiet and slow paced there. That also had an amazing view of the Seattle skyline on one side of the island. The other side had beautiful views of the water and other islands.

We saw a lot of Bellevue and that is really an upscale town. Did some window shopping, but I decided not to buy the Astin Martin. There were some pretty bad blind spots in the car and the color was wrong.

We also drove up to Anacortes and spent some time in that town for a bit because DH grew up there and wanted to show me around. Then we took a whale watching boat out to see some of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. Out on the water looking at snow-capped mountains and seeing bald eagles flying overhead. We saw a nice big pod of orcas playing and doing cartwheels. We saw so many animals that I can't even begin to list them all. It was so cold that even with long sleeves, a coat and a scarf, I was shivering and had to stand in front of the heater occasionally. It was crazy to be cold every night when the rest of the country was suffering through crazy heat waves.

We played a lot more in the city, but we also had to work. Since most of our play time was at night (except a couple of days), we were exhausted. The night before our final event (busiest day) we all decided that we had to get 8 hours of sleep. Most nights it was 5-6. We all went to bed early and realized we could get exactly 8 hours of sleep. So excited about that. At 2:30 in the morning we hear alarms and a woman's voice over the alarm telling everyone to evacuate for a fire. We jumped out of bed and smelled smoke. We got dressed and grabbed as much of our stuff as we could. We stood outside shivering for the next hour until they said it was ok to go back in. The room smelled really strong of smoke, so we had to air out the room with our hall door open and the balcony door open. The alarms were still going off because they couldn't shut them off. Finally the alarms were shut off right before 5:00am. There went our only night to get 8 hours of sleep.

The night before my flight back, we decided to stay at an airport hotel since we had a 6:20am flight. That was far away from any good food, so we took the train into the city. Before we realized it, it was after midnight (when the trains stopped running) and we had to take a long scary cab ride back to the hotel. So, by the time we got back we could only get about 3 hours of sleep. I am sure we looked like zombies walking through the airport.

I wonder how I caught a cold.

I am leaving a lot out, but this post is too long anyways. Sorry.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM

11,925 posts, read 5,481,635 times
Num - sounds like you had a great time and lots of adventures. The area up around Anacortes is beautiful isn't it? We used to kayak a lot in the Puget Sound, it's like being in heaven.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM

11,925 posts, read 5,481,635 times
The residents in my domicile are all equally obsessed with Adele. Good thing, or we'd be driving one another crazy. She is so young, and enormously talented.

‪Adele - Someone Like You (Live in Her Home)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Adele - Rolling In The Deep‬‏ - YouTube

‪Adele - Hometown Glory‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 PM

21,033 posts, read 11,530,614 times
Thanks for the write-up Nummy.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM

5,403 posts, read 2,991,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Big news here is IKEA opening. I'll wait until things settle down before I check it out. I avoid crowds whenever possible. Never been to one so it should be interesting.....I will say the building and signage are an eyesore IMO. No missing it that's for sure though.
I went with TG today.
It wasn't all that bad crowd wise, yeah it was a little crowded but not too bad.
It was pretty easy getting in there too, didn't take that long, maybe 6 or so minutes to get parked.

I'm spoilering this just in case you want to walk in and experience everything for yourself.
Spoiler
And it was pretty easy to walk around inside and surprisingly a lot of stuff there is really cheap. I mean SUPER cheap, I swear I saw a small frying pan for under $10.

They have cops on bikes, medics on bikes, event staff, event security, traffic directors, dudes on segways, you would think you just went to disney land. Which is what TG called it. He was like its like we're going to disney land yay! Just totally being a goof ball.

Their food smelled really really good too.
I walked in and caught a small whiff of cinnamon, and was like OMG I SMELL CINNAMON APPLES, and.....wait for it....THERE WAS CINNAMON APPLE PIE!

Its a pretty awesome place. There's a child care facility too, face painting, a breaking dancing show, a magician...it was all out awesome.

But it is DEFINITELY worth going to NOW, while all the cool stuff is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting