Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times

Advertisements

Come on over, Coop! Bottle is always available.

Thank you txt, and good luck today.

MM, we have a QB and the guys report to Flagstaff today. Yay.

Morning all. It's a blessing to see a new day.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 AM

13,290 posts, read 9,808,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Yes - they are staying with us. I don't know what to do with them either. I wish I had a job outside the house to escape to. I also heard 3 weeks and my eyeballs about popped out of my head! DH said that was them thinking they would go up to the mountains for a week - but that plan was when we were going to let them use our old car. It hasn't been fixed yet so that's out. I keep telling him he needs to make that clear before they book their tickets or I might be booking a ticket to get out of here.

Thankyou - I may need more than the force. A bottle of something strong probably.

Dew - whatcha' got under the sink!
OMG coop, I am about to have the same problem. We have a small little two bedroom house so nowhere to hide. The worst part is, FIL likes to go to work to help MrFR build stuff. That leaves me with MIL all day. Honestly, I don't know what to do with her either after the first one.

And now I've found out MY mother wants to come visit. Oy vey.

AND - I have to do it completely sober - no under the sink nightcap for me. Please, have an extra nip on my behalf, would ya. I'll take one vicariously.

(I know some people have lost parents and would give their right arm to have them come stay. No disrespect meant to you guys.)

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Morning all. Today we will play "figure out which smoke alarms started chirping in the middle of the night" and then replace ALL the batteries, because once one goes, the rest surely follow, right?
lol! Some of ours require ladders to get to them and of course, they will be the ones that chirp at 2am. But that of course is only discovered after standing under each one for 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
coop - do you get on with the in-laws? Mimosa's for breakfast were invented by DIL's...I know this for a fact!
It's an odd relationship. Let's just say - my FIL walked me down the aisle when we were married (father passed away when I was 14). We were close. Fast forward years later (about 7 or 8 years ago?) he was kicked out of the house by DH while they were visiting. They had to go stay in a hotel and we didn't speak for probably more than a year.

It's actually more of a struggle with my MIL. We have ZERO in common. She will go on and on and on with detailed stories about people we do not know. Most likely my eyes will glaze over 15 minutes into the visit. This is going to be a huge challenge for me - school will have already started too. So even DS will be gone all day!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
OMG coop, I am about to have the same problem. We have a small little two bedroom house so nowhere to hide. The worst part is, FIL likes to go to work to help MrFR build stuff. That leaves me with MIL all day. Honestly, I don't know what to do with her either after the first one.
Well, guess we'll be commiserating a lot!

Thankfully I have my office - I'll be pretending I have a lot of work going on.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM

13,290 posts, read 9,808,652 times
Quote:

I'll come over and help you. Those invoices won't fax themselves.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Morning all!

Dew - yes - I heard you have a QB...We still have 3

txt - good luck.

rkb & jk & FR: Wow - my MIL no longer travels, my dad drops in on his way other places so it really tends to only be a day here and a day or two there. My mom and I figured out years ago that 4 days was about the limit as far as visits went, before we were sniping at each other. She now just comes for long weekends. Which works well.

Mattie - enjoy your hair appt.....

Hope you all have a lovely day....

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
My parenting question of the day: How is it my 10 year old knows all 649 Pokemon characters, what they look like, and what powers they have, but apparently has trouble navigating his way to his toothbrush or finding the laundry hamper?
I have found though that these same children are really good at programming remotes, setting up complete t.v. systems, setting up my entire office - wifi and all, etc. So the computer/gaming inclined to come in handy the older they get.

The hamper situation - DS is better about it than DH!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Quote:

Don't you have to visit a client down south? I think it will take all day....

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,503,399 times
You guys are wimps! My MIL (from hell) was here for 6 months last year. Aah, the joy of intercultural marriage!

Here's my survival tip - set up a time each day, let's call it a "Meeting", and we'll all convene here, and you can vent.

I will also freely admit to manipulating my MIL to cook by getting the kids to ask grannie to make their favorite xyz .

Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Don't you have to visit a client down south? I think it will take all day....
That may well be happening! You better be on call.

Quote:
You guys are wimps! My MIL (from hell) was here for 6 months last year. Aah, the joy of intercultural marriage!

Here's my survival tip - set up a time each day, let's call it a "Meeting", and we'll all convene here, and you can vent.

I will also freely admit to manipulating my MIL to cook by getting the kids to ask grannie to make their favorite xyz .
omg - you are the master.

Cooking - okay that is the other issue with MIL. Her cooking is, well, as DS said one time when he was little and she made a meal - "this is disgusting!". Oh my - I had to send him to his room for being disrespectful and rude - but it was disgusting! I snuck him a sandwich later on and and we had a long talk about what he did .

So she is not allowed in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.