U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: here
17,016 posts, read 14,520,609 times
Reputation: 13926

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I didn't know you were still looking. Even if it doesn't work - getting the interviews is a great thing - you KNOW you have the qualifications for something when the right one comes along.
I'm looking more seriously now. I'm feeling really ready to go back. This summer has shown that DS8 needs more structure than I can provide at home. I think a day camp when school is out would be good for him. We've been surviving for the last 4 years on 1 income, but we're at the point now where we need more.

 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 4,067,631 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
OMG coop, I am about to have the same problem. We have a small little two bedroom house so nowhere to hide. The worst part is, FIL likes to go to work to help MrFR build stuff. That leaves me with MIL all day. Honestly, I don't know what to do with her either after the first one.

And now I've found out MY mother wants to come visit. Oy vey.

AND - I have to do it completely sober - no under the sink nightcap for me. Please, have an extra nip on my behalf, would ya. I'll take one vicariously.

(I know some people have lost parents and would give their right arm to have them come stay. No disrespect meant to you guys.)
Perhaps all of us with difficult parents could arrange a trade? My mom adores other people and will be on her best behavior for them-- just not her own kids.
 
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,459 posts, read 4,067,631 times
Reputation: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So a little follow-up on my daughter's learning assessments. After our discussion here yesterday I made a few phone calls and sent out emails to our new principal and guidance teacher telling them what we had been doing with DD over the summer, and my frustration with the whole situation, and the cost of private assessment, and asked for an appointment with them after school starts (08/15) to discuss the matter. I got a call this morning telling me they are going to review DD's file this coming Monday, and will come up with a plan.

So a big thank you for your words of encouragement and advice, it means a lot.
Oh yay! Hopefully this is the start of good things coming her way!
 
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: IL
12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Reputation: 11783
Thanks for the encouragment everyone.

Want some mindless fun? You can play Rock - Paper - Scissors with the NY Times computer. Doesn't get more exciting than that!

Rock-Paper-Scissors: You vs. the Computer - NYTimes.com
 
Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
3,388 posts, read 1,813,826 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So a little follow-up on my daughter's learning assessments. After our discussion here yesterday I made a few phone calls and sent out emails to our new principal and guidance teacher telling them what we had been doing with DD over the summer, and my frustration with the whole situation, and the cost of private assessment, and asked for an appointment with them after school starts (08/15) to discuss the matter. I got a call this morning telling me they are going to review DD's file this coming Monday, and will come up with a plan.

So a big thank you for your words of encouragement and advice, it means a lot.
Great news, Zim! And good job, Mom!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm looking more seriously now. I'm feeling really ready to go back. This summer has shown that DS8 needs more structure than I can provide at home. I think a day camp when school is out would be good for him. We've been surviving for the last 4 years on 1 income, but we're at the point now where we need more.
Good luck rkb! I hope you find something that works well for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Perhaps all of us with difficult parents could arrange a trade? My mom adores other people and will be on her best behavior for them-- just not her own kids.
Now THAT is a splendid idea! I'm ok with my own family and even the in-laws (and in-law grandparents!!) for 3, maybe 4 days - more than that, I'm ready to run screaming into the hills!

It's this darn living all over the country and having to stay in the same small place together for a week or more that causes these difficulties, I truly believe so! Ah, we should all be so lucky as to have a guest house...maybe next visit I'll camp out in the backyard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Thanks for the encouragment everyone.

Want some mindless fun? You can play Rock - Paper - Scissors with the NY Times computer. Doesn't get more exciting than that!

Rock-Paper-Scissors: You vs. the Computer - NYTimes.com
Ah, but can you play Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock?
 
Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
 
Location: here
17,016 posts, read 14,520,609 times
Reputation: 13926
^ I don't know which is worse, living far away and having to deal with them for a week at a time, or living close and having to deal with them every weekend. When we lived an hour from the in-laws, every Saturday they would call when they were about 5-15 minutes from our house. We both worked full time, and it was our only time to get errands run, or heaven forbid, take a nap or just be alone as a couple, then later as a family. It was annoying. They could have called an hour or 2 ahead of time, but, no, they waited until they were on their way OK, I think I prefer the one week/year.
 
Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
3,388 posts, read 1,813,826 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
^ I don't know which is worse, living far away and having to deal with them for a week at a time, or living close and having to deal with them every weekend. When we lived an hour from the in-laws, every Saturday they would call when they were about 5-15 minutes from our house. We both worked full time, and it was our only time to get errands run, or heaven forbid, take a nap or just be alone as a couple, then later as a family. It was annoying. They could have called an hour or 2 ahead of time, but, no, they waited until they were on their way OK, I think I prefer the one week/year.
Haha - good call. I'd forgotten about the joys of living nearby. It's been about 10 years since we had the both families within 45 minutes situation. Maybe I've forgotten how irritating that can be!

Ah, family, gotta love 'em, can't bury 'em in the backyard...
 
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: IL
12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Reputation: 11783
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Great news, Zim! And good job, Mom!!
Thanks Ewag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ah, but can you play Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock?
Hehe! I haven't, but have seen it played. I worked in medical software for some time, in the software world deadlines and releases used to revolve around release dates of Star Trek and Star Wars movies.
 
Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: You know... That place
1,899 posts, read 1,328,277 times
Reputation: 2025
MSN home page has an article about called "Dow Drops..." Every time I glance at it I see "DewDrop..."
 
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: IL
12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Reputation: 11783
I'm off for a girl's weekend. Have a great weekend everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top