U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 83,424,359 times
Reputation: 30025

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't mind working. I don't mind having a job but I should probably be making more money than my 17 year old brother, since after all I have stuff I do have to pay for and he doesn't.
You don't deserve to earn more than your 17 year old brother when you don't have a reliable work history. In the time we've known you, you haven't stayed at a job for more than a few months. Employers aren't likely to pay $9 for someone who hasn't proven to be dependable in their work history.

Manufacturing will hire almost anyone. There's a job on criag's list in your area paying $11/hr for a warehouse worker, which is basically pulling orders from the shelves and packing them for shipping, but the job requirements list dependability as an important trait. How do you think you can prove you are dependable when you don't stay in jobs for longer than a few months??!?!

If you want a real job that pays good money, stop looking at retail jobs. But you're going to have to accept that you need to take whatever job you can get AND STAY AT THAT JOB FOR AT LEAST A YEAR before anyone paying good money will offer you a job. You gotta start somewhere. Sadly, you've wasted your work life proving that you can't stay at a job. You won't be earning more than your bother until you stick with a job and prove you are worthy of hiring for higher paying jobs.

Just because you think you have more to offer an employer doesn't mean that you have more to offer. Employers don't want to hire and train people who are going to quit in a few months. Your work history tells them that's exactly what you will do. Grow up and accept you have screwed up and need to pay your dues. The fact you are in your 20s and have bills to pay doesn't mean squat to an employer if you can't stay in a job long enough.

 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
3,388 posts, read 3,011,270 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hang on... mm, did you say Sept 19th was National Talk Like A Pirate Day??

Now why didja go and post something like that, me hearty? If MrFR sees that we're done for on that day. Done for I say! Arg!
Yar - me favorite day o the year, matey! Good call, mm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm thinking of taking noncredit courses at community college this fall.

There are all sorts of cooking courses, some taught by various chefs in the kitchens of their restaurants.

I think I'd enjoy those.
That sounds really interesting - I dream of going back to do noncredit courses later in life. There's just something very cool to me about continuing to learn. Let us know what you decide to take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you have my sympathy. At least mine tell me (not ask, tell) me when they are coming.



LOVE Phineas and Ferb!

Ugh - telling you is not much of an improvement over "guess when I'm coming!" Ah, family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
On happier news - our preschool placement has been confirmed and we are good to go! Yay. The director thanked me for being very patient which is good because I was about to go all lachrymose on her azz.
Awesome news! Yay for FR and Miss FR!


Zim - Very jealous! Hope you guys are having a blast!


I'm far too cranky today to express an opinion on 22 year olds and jobs and life choices.

ETA: Except for this: From 18-22, my summer salary as a bank teller wasn't enough, so I also waited tables/hostessed kids' birthday parties in the evenings and on weekends. I may have had 4 or 5 days off the entire summer. When you can't find a job that allows you to pay your bills, you find a second job until you have enough experience to get a single job you can live on. Or you choose not to. Incidentally, by 22 I was in grad school full time, in my own place, and completely financially independent (albeit poor as all get out). This didn't make me special - people do it all the time. If it is important enough to you, you learn to hustle for it.

And balance in life is great. But don't expect a cookie for accomplishing in a week what most of us have accomplished by breakfast every day.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 08-03-2011 at 12:38 PM..
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,930 posts, read 5,910,435 times
Reputation: 2995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that doesn't change the fact that you are either homeless, or living somewhere rent free.
I actually don't see why I would pay my mom rent.
Usually when you pay rent its because you're getting what you pay for.
Why would I pay my mom to control my life?

If I am going to be paying for something I better be getting what I want for what I am paying.

If I am going to be paying rent anywhere it'll be somewhere where TG can spend the night, somewhere I have no curfew, somewhere where I am not controlled or unnecessarily yelled at.

She wants rent then TG should be able to stay over, come in anytime as long as I don't wake anyone up, a space in the garage and treat me like a tenant, not someone you can yell at and call degrading names.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,930 posts, read 5,910,435 times
Reputation: 2995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't deserve to earn more than your 17 year old brother when you don't have a reliable work history. In the time we've known you, you haven't stayed at a job for more than a few months. Employers aren't likely to pay $9 for someone who hasn't proven to be dependable in their work history.

Manufacturing will hire almost anyone. There's a job on criag's list in your area paying $11/hr for a warehouse worker, which is basically pulling orders from the shelves and packing them for shipping, but the job requirements list dependability as an important trait. How do you think you can prove you are dependable when you don't stay in jobs for longer than a few months??!?!

If you want a real job that pays good money, stop looking at retail jobs. But you're going to have to accept that you need to take whatever job you can get AND STAY AT THAT JOB FOR AT LEAST A YEAR before anyone paying good money will offer you a job. You gotta start somewhere. Sadly, you've wasted your work life proving that you can't stay at a job. You won't be earning more than your bother until you stick with a job and prove you are worthy of hiring for higher paying jobs.

Just because you think you have more to offer an employer doesn't mean that you have more to offer. Employers don't want to hire and train people who are going to quit in a few months. Your work history tells them that's exactly what you will do. Grow up and accept you have screwed up and need to pay your dues. The fact you are in your 20s and have bills to pay doesn't mean squat to an employer if you can't stay in a job long enough.
Actually I have had two places look at my application and say wow you have really good work experience. Aero told me that, they decided to take a look at my application and interview me based on my past work expereince.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Denver area
20,338 posts, read 20,350,827 times
Reputation: 31710
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I actually don't see why I would pay my mom rent. Call around and see how many places in town will provide indefinite storage of your stuff for no cost.
Usually when you pay rent its because you're getting what you pay for.
Why would I pay my mom to control my life?

If I am going to be paying for something I better be getting what I want for what I am paying.

If I am going to be paying rent anywhere it'll be somewhere where TG can spend the night, somewhere I have no curfew, somewhere where I am not controlled or unnecessarily yelled at.

She wants rent then TG should be able to stay over, come in anytime as long as I don't wake anyone up, a space in the garage and treat me like a tenant, not someone you can yell at and call degrading names.
Sometimes you pay for stuff just because you have no choice - not necessarily because you're getting something you want out of the deal. I pay for my insurance whether or not I actually file a claim. I pay for my car, even if it's not the car of my dreams.

And being 22 does not in and of itself make you any more qualified than a 17 yo. You are demanding $9/hour at interviews? For entry level salesclerk at the mall? LOL. And you wonder why you don't have a job?
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,930 posts, read 5,910,435 times
Reputation: 2995
And my mom said once my brother starts school back I either am home by midnight or I sleep somewhere else.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 83,424,359 times
Reputation: 30025
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I actually don't see why I would pay my mom rent.
Usually when you pay rent its because you're getting what you pay for.
Why would I pay my mom to control my life?

If I am going to be paying for something I better be getting what I want for what I am paying.

If I am going to be paying rent anywhere it'll be somewhere where TG can spend the night, somewhere I have no curfew, somewhere where I am not controlled or unnecessarily yelled at.

She wants rent then TG should be able to stay over, come in anytime as long as I don't wake anyone up, a space in the garage and treat me like a tenant, not someone you can yell at and call degrading names.
Let me explain something to you.

TK has a curfew and can't have his girlfriend spend the night.

One day, he tried to negotiate for more freedom. And I explained to him very clearly that he doesn't get freedom for a reason: If he could have all the freedom he wanted while living here, he'd never be motivated to become independent and live on his own. That apparently clarified everything for him since he hasn't complained about lack of freedome since then.

Your mother requiring you to pay rent is another way to push you from the nest. It's totally cool that you would prefer to pay rent where you have adult freedom. But it's childish for you to not acknowledge that you are a FINANCIAL DRAIN on your mother. You're too old to not be paying your own way. You use water and electricity and food at your mother's house. Your mother shouldn't have to pay for you anymore. You're supposed to be an adult.

You can't have it both ways. Either you are a child or you are an adult. Until you realize that, you will remain a child. The very fact that you don't think you should pay your mother rent is strong indication that you will remain a child for quite sometime.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,930 posts, read 5,910,435 times
Reputation: 2995
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sometimes you pay for stuff just because you have no choice - not necessarily because you're getting something you want out of the deal. I pay for my insurance whether or not I actually file a claim. I pay for my car, even if it's not the car of my dreams.

And being 22 does not in and of itself make you any more qualified than a 17 yo. You are demanding $9/hour at interviews? For entry level salesclerk at the mall? LOL. And you wonder why you don't have a job?
No, on the applications when it says expected salary I put at least 9.
Any job that pays lower I won't take it.
If they ask me how much I expect I tell them what I expect.

And I have essentially 2 years (1 year and 8 months) in retail experience, so I wouldn't be entry level.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: here
23,589 posts, read 26,235,949 times
Reputation: 28005
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I actually don't see why I would pay my mom rent.
Usually when you pay rent its because you're getting what you pay for.
Why would I pay my mom to control my life?

If I am going to be paying for something I better be getting what I want for what I am paying.

If I am going to be paying rent anywhere it'll be somewhere where TG can spend the night, somewhere I have no curfew, somewhere where I am not controlled or unnecessarily yelled at.

She wants rent then TG should be able to stay over, come in anytime as long as I don't wake anyone up, a space in the garage and treat me like a tenant, not someone you can yell at and call degrading names.
the point is, you aren't in school, you aren't working. Those are the criteria for living at home rent free. You aren't doing either. She is allowing you to live there even though you are contributing nothing toward the household, nothing toward your future, and nothing toward society. If you are going to live rent free you should be doing something to move toward a future where you don't have to sponge off your mom. It should be temporary, but, in your case, it is likely a permanent state, since you aren't doing anything to change it.

I'm not saying you need to pay her rent. I'm saying she is letting you get away with not paying rent anywhere. She shouldn't charge you, she should put you crap on the porch and say good luck!

What makes you think you are entitled to live there at the age of 22?
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: here
23,589 posts, read 26,235,949 times
Reputation: 28005
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No, on the applications when it says expected salary I put at least 9.
Any job that pays lower I won't take it.
If they ask me how much I expect I tell them what I expect.

And I have essentially 2 years (1 year and 8 months) in retail experience, so I wouldn't be entry level.
put "negotiable". You do know that something is more than nothing right? If you turn down a job you have $0. $7 is more than $0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top